Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

Watched Biggie Got a Story to Tell on netflix

Its good, got some great footage, great interviews, the pacing is a little off, it weirdly jumps around a bit and there's some bits that feel tacked on cos they have to be there rather than because they wanted it to be there (the Tupac stuff gets 5 mins) but the teenager stuff and how breaking through is where this comes in to its own, should have spent more time on that and then just finished with the album release, really focused on making ready to die and the double life where he could have gone either way

• Like 1

On 28/02/2021 at 03:36, maqroll said:

Pele on Netflix is better than I thought it would be.

Was great footage from the time but glossed over his relationship with the dictator as it was discussed. I imagine some editing went on when his PR team saw it

On 26/02/2021 at 20:32, villa4europe said:

Watched the Cecil hotel thing, it’s unintentionally a documentary on how social media are experts in **** everything 

“I’ve read a lot of autopsy reports and this one is unusual” says a blogger about a qualified professional who actually did the work...**** behave 

and how the addiction or whatever you want to call it of chasing these mysteries effects peoples lives

unfortunately they either don’t want it to be that or didn’t realise what it was and don’t pursue that angle enough, so as it is it’s just a “fairly” straight forward thing padded out with idiots off YouTube, the interest is in what the sleuths are doing and how stupid they are and potentially ruining lives and the case, it’s a documentary about people with questionable mental health in more ways than one...

I've watched this documentary now too.

I didn't like it at all. The story is a very interesting one, and I'd seen youtube videos on it before.

But this was needlessly dragged out. Most of the content was based on completely baseless theories from YouTubers that they dragged out and out even though they could be debunked in seconds.

In fact the entire 4 episodes was seemingly based on one piece of misinformation that if revealed in the first episode would have just ended the need for 3 more.

Interesting story, shit documentary

A lot of these netflix documentaries would be better if they didn't insist on extending them into 7 hour bore-a-thons.

I end up just looking at wikipedia and saving myself 6 hours. Padded out toss.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've watched this documentary now too.

I didn't like it at all. The story is a very interesting one, and I'd seen youtube videos on it before.

But this was needlessly dragged out. Most of the content was based on completely baseless theories from YouTubers that they dragged out and out even though they could be debunked in seconds.

In fact the entire 4 episodes was seemingly based on one piece of misinformation that if revealed in the first episode would have just ended the need for 3 more.

Interesting story, shit documentary

Said this earlier, but that was the story - how the murder mystery/cursed house narrative by the people on the internet and media snowballed. 2 or 3 episodes might have been enough, but not revealing that information and pulling the rug at the end was necessary to show how mundane a death it actually was and everything else was dreamt up. It’s a commentary on society, the internet, lore etc rather than an actual murder mystery.

It would have been a shit documentary if it was literaly just about a girl who stopped taking mental health medication and accidentally drowned.

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Said this earlier, but that was the story - how the murder mystery/cursed house narrative by the people on the internet and media snowballed. 2 or 3 episodes might have been enough, but not revealing that information and pulling the rug at the end was necessary to show how mundane a death it actually was and everything else was dreamt up. It’s a commentary on society, the internet, lore etc rather than an actual murder mystery.

It would have been a shit documentary if it was literaly just about a girl who stopped taking mental health medication and accidentally drowned.

I get that but it didn't work for me. Yeah it would have been a shit documentary so they had to turn it into something else to get 4 episodes out of it. And it wasn't very good

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

yeah but i think they're so dependent on the contributors from youtube and elsewhere that they almost seem reluctant to turn the tables on them and throw them under the bus, it pussyfoots around them being weirdos, it shows it rather than saying it

the one in particular someone needs to say have a word with yourself fella

should have gone deeper in to the mental health of them

Do I Not Like That, finally watched the Taylor documentary. What a disgrace the media really are especially a time before this social media and 24 hour news channels crap.

granted GT didnt help himself continually picking Carlton Palmer but was OTT 

I forgot the name of story I wanted to watch, and can't even remember if I first saw it in this thread (I've gone through the last 20 pages)

It was a pretty tragic story of a young girl that was basically pimped out by her parents/mother who then went on to become a murderer herself. 

Anyone got any idea about the story/documentary I'm thinking about? 

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Netflix have a Baggio documentary coming in May 

Looking forward to that, loved Baggio when I was a kid. Proper player. 

Unrelated, but Bruno V Tyson on Sky is half decent. 

The pain in Bruno’s eyes during his panto run and when he was called an ‘Uncle Tom’ made me well up a bit at times. 

I’d forgotten how close Bruno actually came to knocking Tyson down in that first fight and I’s also forgotten how badly Tyson bashed him up in the 2nd.  

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched a documentary about a ultra Marathon called the Barkley Marathon. Really enjoyed it. Some great characters and some really impressive runners. The story around it is pretty fun and charming.

Highly recommend it. This one is about the 2012 race but there is another one about the 2016 & 2017 race called Where dreams go to die that is on Youtube. Watch The Barkley Marathons: The Race That Eats Its Young | Prime Video

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

Â