Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

Just now, villa4europe said:

Yeah and I'm home, my mates are doing a boozy cinema trip but I can't make it work

They're releasing a special vinyl and CD sometime in October, live forever is already on Spotify, the book is already out

I had the radio recording on cassette for years, I must have listened to it a thousand times. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/09/2021 at 11:04, Stevo985 said:

schumacher-netflix-1629902302.jpeg

Looking forward to this

Just watched this. 

It was honestly pretty shit. 

If you want a documentary about how much Michael’s wife liked him then it’s great. 

If you want to know more about his racing career then don’t bother. They skim over entire chunks of his career. And seasons they do focus on are summarised in a 30 second highlight package of one race. I assume they had very very little footage they were allowed to use. 

“Senna” is the **** Shawshank Redemption compared to this

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Summer of Soul. Excellent historical document. Surprised I'd never heard of the event, but apparently if you weren't there, you wouldn't have heard of it either.

Great performances interwoven with historical/social context.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 3

"If I Leave Here Tomorrow", a documentary covering the early days of Lynyrd Skynyrd up til the plane crash.

A good watch, whether you know much about them or not.

• Like 2

"Bad Sports" on Netflix. I've watched the basketball one, the Juventus one and the cricket one. All really well made.

Hanse Cronje was such an idiot! He destroyed his career and reputation for money that he didn't even need. At least the college hoops players had the need.

But Stefon Smith of Arizona State...7 months away from being a sure fire 1st round NBA multi millionaire and he decides to point shave for 20K each fix over 3 or 4 games. Was so stupid he spent all of the money on flashy clothes,, a tricked out car, jewelry, etc. Which tipped off his crime. Then he didn't even finish his classes to graduate on the full scholarship he was on. Gargantuan idiot. 3 year prison sentence and no NBA contract.

Moggi at Juventus was not stupid. Just very cynical and probably a sociopath. I really dislike Juventus. 

On 16/10/2021 at 22:52, maqroll said:

Summer of Soul. Excellent historical document. Surprised I'd never heard of the event, but apparently if you weren't there, you wouldn't have heard of it either.

Great performances interwoven with historical/social context.

I've heard this is excellent. I'll be looking out for it

Edit: it appears to be on Disney + in the UK for anyone who is interested

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Enjoyed the doc about the Two Tone label in the early 80s. It's on bbc iplayer. 

Always had a lot of time for Jerry Damerrs, I don't think he ever got the recognition he deserved for his contribution to what The Specials were all about. I forgot just how important that era of music was. " Ghost Town ", if ever a song defined what the Thatcher years meant for a lot of young men. And, let's be honest, you would be hard pressed to find a more prominent lead singer than Terry Hall, don't know what it was, but he had it.

" Enjoy yourself/ it's later than you think/ enjoy yourself/ while you're still in the pink/ enjoy yourself, enjoy yourself/ it's later than you think ." What a song, and what an encore. Great days, indeed.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Always had a lot of time for Jerry Damerrs, I don't think he ever got the recognition he deserved for his contribution to what The Specials were all about.

I'm not sure that's true tbh Dammers pretty much was the original band and as far as I remember it always got that recognition until the reformation Specials have attempted to airbrush him out

Anyhow, what follows here may be a wildly unpopular opinion and I say this with the benefit of hindsight as someone who was really into Two-Tone at the time

Two Tone was culturally important, the message was vital and relevant at the time, we could do with something similar again but...

The Specials, with the exception of Ghost Town (which was basically Dammers genius and no one else's) were at their best on the first album and all their best tunes were someone else's. At their best they were a political cabaret band and to be honest, looking back I prefer the original tunes that the Specials covered or ripped off to the one's the Specials recorded but of course the rub there is that I possibly wouldn't have discovered the originals without them but a lot of what they did was a bit rubbish

I loved going to see them live, it was great in my youth but adult me thinks the music was really a bit meh! I even went to a show on the first reformation tour and it did sort of transport me back in time to 1979

Been watching Turning Point: 9/11 and the war on terror, on Netflix this week. It’s a well made look at how America really managed to **** Afghanistan, Iraq, themselves and the world up, post 9/11. 

There’s some really good footage and a few interesting things that I didn’t know. Four episodes in so I’ll try and finish it next week. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Â