Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

On 12/01/2021 at 19:56, villa4europe said:

Anyone know of any good hurricane katrina docs? 

Trouble the water is really good. Made with homefilms before, during and after the hurricane.

Don't think there is a legal way to watch it in the UK, so you'll need alternative methods

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

I'm In The Band. Short but sweet documentary about arguably the best Swedish Rock and Roll band ever, The Hellacopters (The Nomads are also up there). Not sure if it's available with subtitles yet but I imagine it will be before long. Wish it was longer but it's kinda fitting I guess.

I'm in the Band Poster

I saw The Hives live a couple of times and they put on an incredible show.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sne said:

I'm In The Band. Short but sweet documentary about arguably the best Swedish Rock and Roll band ever, The Hellacopters (The Nomads are also up there). Not sure if it's available with subtitles yet but I imagine it will be before long. Wish it was longer but it's kinda fitting I guess.

I'm in the Band Poster

What is with Sweden and garage rock, there seems to be 3 hotbeds for great garage rock and Sweden is up there with Detroit and Canada. Thanks for pointing this out, will definitely be giving this a watch. 

• Like 2

On 18/01/2021 at 08:21, Seat68 said:

What is with Sweden and garage rock, there seems to be 3 hotbeds for great garage rock and Sweden is up there with Detroit and Canada. Thanks for pointing this out, will definitely be giving this a watch. 

There is a documentary coming sometime this year about the late 80's early 90's band Union Carbide Productions called The golden age. Might want to check them out if you have not listened to them. It's the closes Sweden has come to The Stooges.

(It's the singer and some other members that went on to become The Soundtrack Of Our Lives)

• Thanks 1

Currently watching a National Geographic 5 part docu series called Narco Wars and so far it's pretty interesting. Mixes the old Escobar history along with current stuff and interviews with some of those who were involved and the children of some of them. Only 2 eps in so far but worth the watch.

Narco Wars Poster

On 21/01/2021 at 20:31, Bob Funkhouse said:

New Adam Curtis series 'Can’t Get You Out Of My Head: An Emotional History of the Modern World' debuts on the Iplayer Feb 11th.

Apparently a six part series, around 75 minutes an episode. 

I'm still not entirely sure what it's about but it's bound to be excellent. 

Speaking of Adam Curtis....

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

This looks a great watch and is free on Sky Arts next Saturday night.

I cannot profess to know much about Robert Lloyd and/or The Nightingales but as it’s set in Brum with Stewart Lee narrating/interviewing I’ll be watching it. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

This looks a great watch and is free on Sky Arts next Saturday night.

I cannot profess to know much about Robert Lloyd and/or The Nightingales but as it’s set in Brum with Stewart Lee narrating/interviewing I’ll be watching it. 

Its excellent and made with a hell of a lot of love. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just started the Cecil hotel doc on Netflix. It's mainly about the strange case of Elisa Lam, intermittent with other strange things that have happened at the Cecil over the years. I don't think they will ever get to the bottom of the Elisa Lam case. There will always be more questions than answers. Very strange though. 

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

I don't think they will ever get to the bottom of the Elisa Lam case. There will always be more questions than answers. Very strange though. 

Keep watching. Very interesting conclusion.

Edited by AndyClarke

On 11/02/2021 at 21:03, AndyClarke said:

Keep watching. Very interesting conclusion.

Amazing. Everything blown out of proportion due to a few basic errors. 

I thought the hotel manager came across as a bit strange. And let's spare a thought for poor old ' Morbid '.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Amazing. Everything blown out of proportion due to a few basic errors. 

I thought the hotel manager came across as a bit strange. And let's spare a thought for poor old ' Morbid '.

I'd heard and read about the story multiple times with the same mistakes. Ultimately made the whole thing appear sinister or supernatural when actually the truth is both straightforward and sad.

• Like 2

On 21/01/2021 at 20:31, Bob Funkhouse said:

New Adam Curtis series 'Can’t Get You Out Of My Head: An Emotional History of the Modern World' debuts on the Iplayer Feb 11th.

Apparently a six part series, around 75 minutes an episode. 

I'm still not entirely sure what it's about but it's bound to be excellent. 

Watched part one ... it's Adam Curtis turned up to 11. Goes off on some mad tangents and seems to be almost parodying himself at one point. Love it!

9 minutes ago, coda said:

Watched part one ... it's Adam Curtis turned up to 11. Goes off on some mad tangents and seems to be almost parodying himself at one point. Love it!

I've watched the first two - as ever it's a convoluted mess at times, but I've certainly learned some things about some people (I never knew that about Tupac).

It's interesting, in the modern era documentaries has moved away form the socio-political (which is where Curtis normally operates) to the personal (murder/mental health/gender/etc) and this is almost an effort by him to address that by ambitiously trying to make a socio-political documentary stitched together from a group of personal stories. 

On the evidence of two episodes I'm not sure he's pulled it off, but as a series of vignettes it's fascinating.

• Like 2

I've now watched the third and fourth parts of the Adam Curtis series, I thought the third one was very good and the fourth was fantastic. 

He's succeeded in taking some of those personal stories through to a bigger picture of the world and society in which we live, whether he can join that to a conclusion is pretty difficult to see, but the change of gear through parts three and four is excellent I think.

Part four is a brilliant piece of work, I'd thoroughly recommend it.

9 minutes ago, Bob Funkhouse said:

I think with a lot of his work his narratives take time to come together and inevitably some work better than others - I think Bitter Lake was more cohesive than Hypernormalisation , though the latter is arguably more ambitious. 

This one pretty much seems like his most ambitious yet and he said in an interview with Diane Morgan that he came up with the overarching theme first and found a series of stories that explained his narrative. 

All this being said, I've only seen the first episode as I refuse to binge watch work from a man who can take 5 years to release a series. 

Spot on re: Hypernormalisation and Bitter Lake.

I'm doing one a day at the moment, for the series he does refer back a couple of episodes at times and if I leave too long between those my tiny brain will have forgotten the links.

I think this series is the most that I've ended up with a list of people and events I wanted to check out after watching from an Adam Curtis before, one thing he is doing is not letting some very interesting history die.

Â