Jed Steer

samjp26

While watching the Germany games, I was thinking at least Johnstone might be showing some form.

Oh. You're not Sam!

1 hour ago, Skills said:

are people preferring Steer to Johnstone?

V poor management we have been left to choose between these two.  I think Steer has an element of the unknown about him which is perhaps a glimmer of hope to cling too.

2 hours ago, Skills said:

are people preferring Steer to Johnstone?

On what we've seen of them both so far.... absolutely.

Obviously it's easy to throw around absolute statements like 'Johnstone never saves anything' and all that but he really hasn't impressed me since his debut against Spurs in the cup. He made a couple of decent saves that day that made me hopeful. Since then I think the criticism of him is pretty fair even if some of them are on the more outlandish side of extreme. Obviously I have no issue with his clean sheets but his actual shots on goal to saves ratio has to be a cause for concern or people just haven't been watching the games he's played. None of that means he doesn't have the potential to be great, but we haven't seen it.

With Steer it is more that he hasn't been disappointing yet in the first team for any run of games. And that he made a couple of fairly decent stops in Germany. If Johnstone is still injured on Saturday I hope he takes his chance and as I've said elsewhere I hope there's no agreement in place with Utd to play Johnstone when fit. That would be harsh on Steer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have no problem with Steer being no. 1. Johnstone has been poor since joining us and as people have said, it is due to very poor management from the club that we are left with these two to pick from as first choice keeper.

And then there is Mark Bunn. 

• Like 1

I feel as though I'm less impressed by Steer than I am unimpressed by Johnstone at this point, but I think we have a competition for the No. 1 jersey on our hands this season.

Both have done well on loan at this level before (Johnstone at Preston and Steer at Huddersfield if I'm not mistaken?) and were highly rated at one point a couple of years ago.

In one sense I'd like Steer to win that battle as he's our player but it would seem ridiculous then to be paying to loan a keeper to sit on the bench. 

10 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

Johnstone will be no 1.  IF he isnt we will be down to one keeper as utd wont stand for that.

Well they can go do one, the better player should play on merit. I'd even go far as to say if there's not much between them then we should aim to develop our own player rather than someone elses.

From what I've seen with my own eyes Steer is the better keeper anyway.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HeyAnty said:

Johnstone will be no 1.  IF he isnt we will be down to one keeper as utd wont stand for that.

Well they can go do one, the better player should play on merit. I'd even go far as to say if there's not much between them then we should aim to develop our own player rather than someone elses.

From what I've seen with my own eyes Steer is the better keeper anyway.

17 hours ago, hippo said:

V poor management we have been left to choose between these two.  I think Steer has an element of the unknown about him which is perhaps a glimmer of hope to cling too.

Maybe an element of the unknown to you. Not to the people who work with him day in, day out. 

From watching most of the pre season games, I see absolutely no reason why Steer shouldn't start. He's done nothing to make me think he should be replaced in the line up.

I was also watching one of the games in Germany and heard someone shouting and organising very loudly but couldn't work out who it was.

...to my disbelief, it was Steer. That impressed me. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, VERB27 said:

From watching most of the pre season games, I see absolutely no reason why Steer shouldn't start. He's done nothing to make me think he should be replaced in the line up.

I was also watching one of the games in Germany and heard someone shouting and organising very loudly but couldn't work out who it was.

...to my disbelief, it was Steer. That impressed me. 

A Villa Keeper organising the defence?

image.png.a304deb556e40f15da62a87f6ec541ce.png

On 7/31/2017 at 08:29, hippo said:

Not sure how that assumption can be made of Steer as he has hardly played for us. In the games I saw in pre season Steer looks a lot better than Bunn, therefore I would make him our number 2 this season 

On 31/07/2017 at 09:36, Delphinho123 said:

I have no problem with Steer being no. 1. Johnstone has been poor since joining us and as people have said, it is due to very poor management from the club that we are left with these two to pick from as first choice keeper.

And then there is Mark Bunn. 

Bunn is out of contract, I think.

Should be let go, I think, I have never been impressed by him.

The lad Sarkic could be number 3. 

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Not sure how that assumption can be made of Steer as he has hardly played for us. In the games I saw in pre season Steer looks a lot better than Bunn, therefore I would make him our number 2 this season 

Looked better than Johnstone too.. should be main man

• 2 weeks later...

Not even a hard or brave decision to stick Steer in between the sticks for the next league game. There's not much between the two in terms of ability or age maybe, but Steer is our player and I can't help but feel more confident with him in goal 

• Like 1

Â