Jed Steer

samjp26

23 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Significant downgrade on Johnstone.

I'm not convinced of that. Johnstone never impressed me that much. I don't understand what everyone sees in him. 

Steer will be just fine I think. I mean look who Wolves had between the sticks as they waltzed to the title last year. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

I'm not convinced of that. Johnstone never impressed me that much. I don't understand what everyone sees in him. 

Steer will be just fine I think. I mean look who Wolves had between the sticks as they waltzed to the title last year. 

Agreed, the best keeping performance for us last year came from Steer in league Cup. He'll be grand. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Dale said:

Agreed, the best keeping performance for us last year came from Steer in league Cup. He'll be grand. 

Wow - this is a hell of a claim. Which of the three league cup performances was the best then? Johnstone saved us a hell of a lot of points last year so this claim is a little bizarre to me.

Wonder if WBA are going to get Terry as well - as Johnstone was bang average when Terry was out of the side. 

Johnstone has always reminded  me of Scott Carson - OK as long as the opposition don't have too many shots target

Edited by hippo
  • Like 1

Steer is solid enough, it's just his injury record which concerns me - especially given that Bunn will likely deputise ?

Johnstone isn't a massive loss for me.  Good championship keeper, but lets not forget he played behind arguably the two best centre backs in the league last season.  He's a fine shot stopper, but there's plenty like that.  He's still looked suspect coming for crosses and his distribution was poor.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

Steer is solid enough, it's just his injury record which concerns me - especially given that Bunn will likely deputise ?

Johnstone isn't a massive loss for me.  Good championship keeper, but lets not forget he played behind arguably the two best centre backs in the league last season.  He's a fine shot stopper, but there's plenty like that.  He's still looked suspect coming for crosses and his distribution was poor.

Don’t forget we have Sarkic too

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GREAT_BEARD_OF_ZEUS said:

No I haven't SGC, it's just that I can't imagine Bruce turning to him over Bunn.

What's your thoughts, is he ready to be a no.2 yet or does he need a bit of time on loan in the lower leagues?

He had a loan at Wigan last season, I think he’s excellent but he’s still very young especially for a keeper. I don’t think he needs another loan. He probably won’t turn to him over Bunn but let’s wait and see, for me, he’s good enough

• Like 1

Meh Johnstone wasnt that good.. he kept alot of clean sheets because he was barely tested. When we were he would usually concede. Steer will do a job if we can sort our defence. 

Edited by KSV
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KSV said:

Meh Johnstone wasnt that good.. he kept alot of clean sheets because he was barely tested. When we were he would usually concede. Steer will do a job if we can sort our defence. 

Do you think we have money to sort the defence? I don’t

7 hours ago, KSV said:

Meh Johnstone wasnt that good.. he kept alot of clean sheets because he was barely tested. When we were he would usually concede. Steer will do a job if he can stay fit.

On 03/07/2018 at 19:44, AshVilla said:

Significant downgrade on Johnstone.

I think Steer is a better shot stopper than Johnstone, better on corners too.

Think he will prove himself the better keeper in a couple of years time, he's just been out of the limelight whereas Johnstone came out the Man Utd academy. 

13 hours ago, osmark86 said:

think Jed will be fine for us. when given the chance he's been pretty good the times I've seen him so not too worried.

He only played 4 games last season and let in 7 goals. What’s the basis for saying he was pretty good?

he's time is now, will be 26 in a couple of months.  Unfortunately it looks like we don't have any other choices. 

Playing in 3 League Cup games against Colchester, Wigan and boro is different to playing in 46 league games. Will be a massive test for him if we go down that path

9 hours ago, briny_ear said:

He only played 4 games last season and let in 7 goals. What’s the basis for saying he was pretty good?

pure hope in desperate times if I'm being honest and some faint memory of him actually making a couple of really good saves under pressure. but I'm not kidding myself, he'll be a downgrade on Johnstone for sure.

Â