Jed Steer

samjp26

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

Dean Smith does not strike me as someone to let sentiment cloud his decisions and rightly so. 

This. Ultimately he has made it clear he wants competition for all positions. Jed has just signed a new contract, but he would have done so knowing that either Kalinic was his competition or a new player. No player has a guaranteed starting place and that should be how it is. 

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I feel bad for Steer.

Done nothing wrong really. Big factor in why we got promoted. That penalty shootout performance against baggies was just incredible and he isn't even getting a chance to prove himself in Premier League.

Dont forget Whelan, Jedi, Adomah, Hutton we should have kept them too

15 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I feel bad for Steer.

Done nothing wrong really. Big factor in why we got promoted. That penalty shootout performance against baggies was just incredible and he isn't even getting a chance to prove himself in Premier League.

Feel bad for him? 

You’re already sharpening your knives ready for Heatons first mistake aren’t you? ;)

1 minute ago, skarroki said:

Do we know why he didn't travel to Germany? Is he on the move or picked up a knock?

no idea, but the squad in Germany was also missing Konsa & Chester, so assume they all had a knock or something?

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

no idea, but the squad in Germany was also missing Konsa & Chester, so assume they all had a knock or something?

I think Konsa already had a knock and it's why he missed Charlton. Steer and Chester, wouldn't be surprised if they were on the move.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
35 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Erm bump ... Bit harsh no posts since August considering what happened to him today ... Any update on his injury on twatter? 

He's previously had a 9-month lay off with an achilles rupture, and the news is that this one is achilles as well:

"In the game, you get Jed Steer going down after three minutes on his first Premier League start with an Achilles injury but, for me, it still doesn't affect your desire to go and win a header, a tackle, a second ball and just help your teammates out and I didn't think we did that first half."

from https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-injury-news-grealish-17233998

So not looking good, but fingers crossed for him. What a shame.

Get well soon Jed.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11677/11859328/aston-villa-goalkeeper-jed-steer-out-for-two-months-with-calf-injury

Aston Villa goalkeeper Jed Steer will be out for around two months after suffering a calf injury against Wolves on Sunday.

It was feared that Steer, who was helped off in the eighth minute, had ruptured his Achilles, but a scan on Monday proved otherwise.

The 27-year-old was making his first Premier League appearance of the season after first-choice 'keeper Tom Heaton was injured in training on Saturday.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

He must be getting closer to fitness now?

Shame for Jed Steer, just when he was going to get his chance and injury gets in his way.

I like Nyland but I think Steer is better, Reina is just meh!

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

On 16/11/2019 at 15:40, mikeyp102 said:

Not sure we’ll see him in a Villa shirt again 

And I would be a bit sad if that was the case...

Poor bloke waited years for his shot at the shirt; came in when Kalinic wasn't performing and was bloody marvellous for us and will go down in history for his penalty heroics against West Brom...

Got his shot against Wolves and got injured again...

If we don't see him in a Villa shirt again, I wish him the best wherever he goes...

• 2 months later...
Â