Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

Another "article" in The Mag. The obession continues...
News

Aston Villa owner admits dream of having as many fans as Newcastle

Poor Aston Villa owner Tony Xia has revealed how many season tickets they have sold and is looking enviously at Newcastle United...

Aston Villa owner Tony Xia dreams of the day that his club have as many fans as Newcastle United.

Villa have always had one of the most fickle fanbases in the Premier League and gates fell below thirty thousand last season.

When times are good though they can pull in over forty thousand supporters, though even on a match to match basis their crowds can wildly fluctuate, often depending on who the opposition is.

On 15 July 2016 Newcastle United announced:

‘Season ticket sales at Newcastle United have soared past last season’s total – with the first league game at St. James’ Park still a full month away.

Despite relegation to the Sky Bet Championship, more than 33,000 supporters have already renewed or purchased a season ticket, which secures a seat at all 23 of the Magpies’ home league fixtures during the 2016/17 campaign.’

It is fair to assume that this figure must be well in excess of 35,000 now, after further signings and enthusiasm for the new season being so obvious.

Asked by a Villa fan about how many season tickets the club had sold, Tony Xia replied:

“Close to 20K, which is far behind Newcastle’s 33K. I really hope we can fully refill Villa Park again!!”

It looks like poor Tony Xia has a long long way to go, with the Aston Villa fans failing to respond to the positive new owner and deserting the club on relegation.

It gets worse for Tony Xia and Villa when you also take into consideration the third relegated club.

Over three months ago back in March, Norwich City confirmed:

‘19,639 non-corporate season ticket holders have been sold.’

This was of course some time ago and at a time with relegation looking a near certainty.

Norwich City are pretty much the total opposite of the Villa support, the Canaries might not have the largest fanbase to draw from but like Newcastle’s they are very loyal.

In recent times they have had a yoyo existence between the Championship and Premier League but looking at average attendances, it is clear that whatever league they end up in, the Norwich fans stick with them.

Last season in the Premier League they averaged more or less a full capacity 26,972, yet the previous year (2014/15) the average home crowds were 26,367, only 600 less.

Safe to say based on that previous history and having 20k season tickets sold by March, Carrow Road will once again be full pretty much every match.

It remains to be seen just how high Newcastle’s crowds can go but every confidence they can beat the near 44k average of the last (2009/10) Championship season.

As for Aston Villa? Based on their past experience, if the team don’t get off to a decent start then we can expect a half empty Villa Park, not quite living up to the dreams of poor Tony Xia…

- See more at: http://www.themag.co.uk/2016/07/aston-villa-owner-admits-dream-many-fans-newcastle-tony-xia-newcastle-united/#sthash.idlsZrLJ.dpuf

It's almost like some Newcastle fans don't realise that Birmingham City, West Brom and Wolves are all almost a stones throw away from Villa.

Newcastle seem to have this thing where they feel they are a superior club than a lot of clubs purely for the numbers they bring into the ground, it's weird. Swap Aston Villa and Newcastle geographically and Villa would have more support because of our history. It's just a strange thing to be so obsessed about. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

Newcastle's support is excellent to be fair, as is their....er...um....the.....let me think now....of course......hmmm...actually.......no, that seems to be all.

• Like 3

If only I was retarded enough to throw 400 quid a year on something that would often ruin (or put a dent into) my weekends.

Newcastle, apart from the inhabitants having absolutely **** all else to do than go and watch a football team every 2 weeks, have done **** all in football.  Why they chirp on about numbers of people present at a match is so thick it hurts.

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, themag said:

As for Aston Villa? Based on their past experience ...

Eh, so you mean going back to the '87/88 season which is nigh on 30 seasons ago?  Yes because that's completely analogous to right now for a variety of different reasons.  But anyway, even with that being so, average attendances at Villa Park went up for the year we were in the 2nd tier, albeit marginally.  But we certainly didn't desert beyond what had already happened with Doug's hatchet job in the top tier, taking a European Champion and relegating it within 6 seasons.

In comparison, Newcastle have spent 5 seasons in the 2nd tier since 1987, and on each occasion when they were relegated (which is twice) their attendance dropped from the relegation season to the 2nd tier season, and in the '90/91 season which was their second consecutive season in the 2nd tier it dropped considerably again.  Only in '91/92 & '92/93 did their 2nd tier attendances improve upon the previous season's totals.

It's a similar story for them if you go back to their previous relegation in '77/78 which took them 6 seasons to rectify.  But, again, they were different times so...

Wow, not that I'm fussed whether the Geordies think they're the "bigger club" or not, it always makes me smile that their argument begins and ends with attendances. That's it. Nothing else matters. 

Not the number of trophies won.
Not the number of seasons spent in the top flight.
Not the number of England internationals provided.
Not the influence on the formative years of the game.

Nope. Just attendances.

As you say @PieFacE , look at the geography and professional football teams near each of Newcastle and Villa.

Newcastle have Sunderland (their nearest at around 13 miles away). If we extend the radius out a bit to 40 miles, we can include Boro and of course there's the likes of Darlington and Hartlepool in that radius. I could be wrong but I think Carlisle is their next nearest team, around 60 miles away. So 6 clubs in a 60 mile radius. Congested.

Comparatively, Villa have WBA & small heath (both within 5 miles), Wolves, Walsall & Coventry (all within 20 miles). Likewise, if we were a bit more generous and extended it to say 50 miles, then we have Stoke, Port Vale, Derby, Leicester, Nottingham Forest & Notts County. So 12 clubs in a 50 mile radius. And as I'm feeling generous, I won't include the likes of Kidderminster, Telford and Shrewsbury.

Like I say, I don't mind what Newcastle fans think of us (whether it's the majority or the minority) they can hate us all they like, fine by me. They can keep turning up to their home games and support their team, not being fickle when things aren't quite how they'd like them, like they absolutely weren't with Pardew (I forget how that worked out for them, I'm sure it was ok).

But I wish they attempted to move their "bigger club" argument past crowd attendance figures. 

They could say the Maxwell House music they run out to has a certain cheesy charm to it. Anything. 

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

As you say @PieFacE , look at the geography and professional football teams near each of Newcastle and Villa.

Newcastle have Sunderland (their nearest at around 13 miles away). If we extend the radius out a bit to 40 miles, we can include Boro and of course there's the likes of Darlington and Hartlepool in that radius. I could be wrong but I think Carlisle is their next nearest team, around 60 miles away. So 6 clubs in a 60 mile radius. Congested.

Comparatively, Villa have WBA & small heath (both within 5 miles), Wolves, Walsall & Coventry (all within 20 miles). Likewise, if we were a bit more generous and extended it to say 50 miles, then we have Stoke, Port Vale, Derby, Leicester, Nottingham Forest & Notts County. So 12 clubs in a 50 mile radius. And as I'm feeling generous, I won't include the likes of Kidderminster, Telford and Shrewsbury.

Exactly.

This website really shows how massive a catchment area the bigger clubs in the North East have and proves your point completely. -- http://www.myfootygrounds.co.uk/TeamFinder.asp

There are more clubs within 10 miles of Villa Park than there are within 50 miles of the Sports Direct Arena. Considering it shows really obscure teams (Romulus, Tividale as local to VP) there's only 7 other clubs within 50 miles of Newcastle. 

We can dream of 50k every week at Villa Park. They've done it. They can dream of being European Champions. We've done it. 

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I use Facebook likes as a good gauge of how many fans a club has.  We have 2.3m likes to Newcastle's 2m.  We should be drawing better crowds than we do tbf.

It's like the old saying goes "Build it and they will come unless they're Citeh fans".

• Like 3

4 hours ago, StanBalaban said:
Villa have always had one of the most fickle fanbases in the Premier League and gates fell below thirty thousand last season.

The article-writer must have been born five years ago.

Who am I kidding, he probably was...

I seem to recall Villa averaging over 30k in the 3rd division. Early 90s in the 2nd division Newcastle couldn't get 30k (including a season of 16k :crylaugh:, despite being a division higher. #Fickle #ShitFans #BringingUpMeaninglessStatsBecauseWeAreShitAndHaveNothingBetterToDo

Edited by kurtsimonw

Quite a few of those Geordies really are struggling to get over the "Sob on the Tyne" and the "Who's your Next Messiah" banners from their first relegation. You would have thought that anger and hatred would have dispersed over the years, especially as they have achieved some results against us in the mean time, notably the Andy Carroll game under Kevin MacDonald. I think most clubs fans would have laughed it off over the years, but for some reason it keeps on bubbling away up there.

I think the hatred has risen back to the surface recently again as they had us on the ropes with us already relegated, unable to even pick up a point from the previous XX amount of games, and them being able to hammer yet another nail into our coffin while at the same time securing their own survival in the PL. As it transpired all that happened was they managed to blow it big time, securing their own relegation in the process, allowing the final laugh to go to the Villa fans who were already in a party mood on that day. Cue Sob on the Tyne part deux.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Quite a few of those Geordies really are struggling to get over the "Sob on the Tyne" and the "Who's your Next Messiah" banners from their first relegation. You would have thought that anger and hatred would have dispersed over the years, especially as they have achieved some results against us in the mean time, notably the Andy Carroll game under Kevin MacDonald. I think most clubs fans would have laughed it off over the years, but for some reason it keeps on bubbling away up there.

I think the hatred has risen back to the surface recently again as they had us on the ropes with us already relegated, unable to even pick up a point from the previous XX amount of games, and them being able to hammer yet another nail into our coffin while at the same time securing their own survival in the PL. As it transpired all that happened was they managed to blow it big time, securing their own relegation in the process, allowing the final laugh to go to the Villa fans who were already in a party mood on that day. Cue Sob on the Tyne part deux.

Could be way off, but my impression is the local mags and papers like to use us to generate click bait and that creates this impression. I honestly couldn't care less about them and I suspect 'most' of their fans couldn't care less about us, until we play each other that is.  I suppose the fact we are the two biggest clubs in the league now (with us being number 1 of course) fuels things a bit - that and the fact that by some twist of fate they keep getting relegated at VP!  To be honest, I don't mind a bit of rivalry as it creates a bit of spice when we play them - atmosphere at the Newcastle game was great.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

Â