Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

There's also a slight kind of effect of when Newcastle went from being a dreary bunch of no hopers with not many fans watching them, struggling in the old second division, to what Sky and the media called "everyone's favourite second team" when Kevin Keegan revived the team, club and supporters. They played attacking football, went up and did well in the top league and their gates were good. There's a fair few of their fans who have a small part of "everyone is supposed to love us" sort of wedged in their mindset from when that's what the media told them -  so when some other fans just take the mick, a few get overly antsy in response.

That said, by and large they're good fans and they don't hate us deep down any more than we hate them (which we don't.).

• Like 1

Yeah you are probably correct Gary. I guess as with most things in life the vocal minority are the ones you hear and notice the most, especially with the Internet giving a medium for them to spout their views for all to see. I have known a few Geordies fans over the years and they have all been decent enough, but like with most clubs there are a few who are a little embarrasing and give the others a bad name. Those type of surveys are loaded to get a response as you say, and lets be honest they are hardly going to dislike teams that they have barely played in recent years.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I think it's really "the mag" who is trying to stir up hatred between both clubs. As far as I see it it's banter between both clubs. It's not disgust like with blose for example. 

Well, maybe not just 'The Mag' Dem...

With the absence of Sunderland and Middlesbrough on the fixture list next season, Newcastle United fans have voted Aston Villa as the ‘most hated’ club they’ll face next season.

Frustratingly, the Magpies will face a season in Championship without Wearside rivals Sunderland or Teesside rivals Middlesbrough.

We polled Toon fans on ChronicleLive to see who your most hated teams who Rafa Benitez’s side will come up against next season are - and it’s little surprise the results reveal the Villans came out on top.

The two sides’ supporters have had a rivalry brewing since 2009 when Newcastle fans were angered by Aston Villa’s jibes over their relegation - with one banner from Villa fans famously reading: ‘Sob on the Tyne’.

With Aston Villa’s dreadful season last year Newcastle tried to get their own back when they travelled to Villa Park for the penultimate game of the campaign in May. The Magpies’ ‘Glum in the Brum’ banner didn’t have the same effect, however.

A 0-0 draw that day, accompanied by Sunderland’s unlikely win over Chelsea, and then midweek win over Everton, confirmed Newcastle would join Villa in next season’s second-tier.

So with the pair likely to be among the biggest rivals chasing promotion back to the Premier League next season, it comes as little surprise that 86% of fans who voted said they hated Aston Villa.

That is considerably more than the next most hated team QPR, who received a 58% hate vote.

Leeds United will be the Magpies’ closest geographical rivals next term. They ranked third on the list with 52%.

The results are another obvious reason why Newcastle will be hoping to get back into the top flight at the first time asking - for more of those matches that matter that little bit more than most.

Here’s the top ten most hated Championship sides from Newcastle fans (%):

Aston Villa: 86

QPR: 58

Leeds: 52

Wigan: 44

Cardiff: 41

Norwich: 37

Fulham: 35

Birmingham: 33

Wolves: 30

Blackburn: 27

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/revealed-championship-teams-newcastle-united-11666921#ICID=sharebar_facebook

30 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Well, maybe not just 'The Mag' Dem...

Here’s the top ten most hated Championship sides from Newcastle fans (%):

Aston Villa: 86

QPR: 58

Leeds: 52

Wigan: 44

Cardiff: 41

Norwich: 37

Fulham: 35

Birmingham: 33

Wolves: 30

Blackburn: 27

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/revealed-championship-teams-newcastle-united-11666921#ICID=sharebar_facebook

Wow seriously. Has a club ever voted most hated before? Small time losers

On 26 July 2016 at 17:01, Wainy316 said:

I use Facebook likes as a good gauge of how many fans a club has.  We have 2.3m likes to Newcastle's 2m.  We should be drawing better crowds than we do tbf.

We're a 2 hour drive away from about 60% of the prem grounds, in 3 hours you can do Utd, Everton, Liverpool, arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs...we leak fans from our catchment area like a sieve and that's before you throw in the number of local rivals we have

newcastle fans really don't understand how much of an island they are up there

as for why the media build them up as being so popular, agree with the Keegan sky stuff @blandy he was a great sound bite for them, a likeable bloke and they played good football, I'd add that they looked like the answer to a Utd team that the majority of neutrals hated, more than us and Blackburn they benefitted from people really wanting to see Utd lose, the 5-0 was one of the greatest games I'd ever seen, nothing to do with them, every thing to do with hating the Utd fans round by me, kind of the same with Leicester last year, did people really want to see Leicester win it or did they just want the fairytale and the usual suspects not to win it? In reality it could have been several lower table teams and it would have been just as celebrated 

2 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

Also, if 86% of fans hate the Villa the most, how can 58% hate QPR?

Drivel.

86% of x number hate Villa. 58% of the same number hate QPR. Some hate both, some hate only one.

All hate themselves for being pathetic Geordies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

86% of x number hate Villa. 58% of the same number hate QPR. Some hate both, some hate only one.

Which makes you wonder how many clubs could they select.

Actually, it doesn't. Plebs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

We're a 2 hour drive away from about 60% of the prem grounds, in 3 hours you can do Utd, Everton, Liverpool, arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs...we leak fans from our catchment area like a sieve and that's before you throw in the number of local rivals we have

newcastle fans really don't understand how much of an island they are up there

as for why the media build them up as being so popular, agree with the Keegan sky stuff @blandy he was a great sound bite for them, a likeable bloke and they played good football, I'd add that they looked like the answer to a Utd team that the majority of neutrals hated, more than us and Blackburn they benefitted from people really wanting to see Utd lose, the 5-0 was one of the greatest games I'd ever seen, nothing to do with them, every thing to do with hating the Utd fans round by me, kind of the same with Leicester last year, did people really want to see Leicester win it or did they just want the fairytale and the usual suspects not to win it? In reality it could have been several lower table teams and it would have been just as celebrated 

Completely agree. Think a lot of people don't take into account just how isolated they are up there, their potential catchment area is absolutely huge. Always makes me laugh that on theirs, and Sunderland's, forums that whenever I go on there there always seems to be a thread stating how they are a much bigger club than X (we get mentioned a lot especially on the Sunderland forum, think they are still bitter about Bent) with the primary factor always being their attendance. Nothing to do with the fact that, the next club of any note anyway from Boro, Newcastle and Sunderland is Leeds some 80 miles away of course.

Edited by penguin

8 hours ago, penguin said:

Completely agree. Think a lot of people don't take into account just how isolated they are up there, their potential catchment area is absolutely huge. Always makes me laugh that on theirs, and Sunderland's, forums that whenever I go on there there always seems to be a thread stating how they are a much bigger club than X (we get mentioned a lot especially on the Sunderland forum, think they are still bitter about Bent) with the primary factor always being their attendance. Nothing to do with the fact that, the next club of any note anyway from Boro, Newcastle and Sunderland is Leeds some 80 miles away of course.

Dont forget the "mighty" hartlepool and the giants Darlington

20 hours ago, a m ole said:

Well the poll was apparently to decide their 'most' hated club. Not to list every club they dislike. 

Do they teach maths up in Newcastle?

Â