Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

1 minute ago, dudevillaisnice said:

They look like a bit lightweight upfront.

Gayle and Perez aren't the strongest at holding up the ball yet they seemed to be quite content lumping it forward to them like some target man. They will probably figure it out sooner rather than later anyway.

Agreed. Mitrovic will add a different option.

30 minutes ago, WAWAW said:

A lot of the stadiums are surely better than Bournemouth, Watford, Burnley, Palace etc?

And its that sort of attitude that can lead to a very lengthy stay. Believe me I know.

Your players need to go to Burton, Rotherham, Barnsley and Brentford. In small stadiums, on rubbish pitches, in changing rooms no better than your local school and they can't moan - they need to roll their sleeves up and fight.

All this whilst the opposition fans chant "Your not famous anymore " at you. All their players will give an extra 5% because like Leeds, Wednesday and Forest before you they want your PL scalps.

Then when you've got through that battle you need to do it again on Tuesday, then again in Saturday then again on Tuesday.

its tough, really really tough. And any thoughts that this league is below you will bite you in the arse every single time.

In fairness, not many on here have a pompus attitude towards the division.  Indeed, only 3 or 4 months ago, many were worried that we'd drop down again next season.

We are expecting teams to raise their game against us, park the bus at Villa Park etc, etc.

I don't think anyone is thinking this league is below us, especially when we're fielding players like Alan Hutton.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, nobler said:

Yeah, one of my favourite away grounds, Craven Cottage.

There is a row of Victorian terraced houses right next door to it,  the kind with a name plate at the top of the house and one is called "Villa Boise"  brilliant 

• Like 1

Gayle played.  Richie looked the danger man to me not only will he chip in with goals, he will create for the likes of Gayle.

I don't get all the laughing at Newcastle now.  They are not our rivals unless we consider them to be rivals for promotion.  I only want them to lose in the same way that I want any other top 8 team to lose.  I'd like to think we will be top 8 which obviously gives us a shout of promotion.

Early days, but that is not the start they would have hoped for.

Let's be sensible and not mock them, it could bite us. However I will slightly smugly revel when they lose this season. I've read quite a few arrogant opinions from Tynecastle fans, which contrasts quite nicely with our collective pessimism. It means that anything but absolute success makes them look stupid.

6 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Anyone still gutted we didn't spunk £10m on Gayle? Anyone.... anyone?

Never wanted him. Quite interesting hearing Warnock talk about him, when Newcastle signed him. Said he could never find a place for him in the team at Palace. Not because has no qualities but because he doesn't offer the team as a whole enough to justify a regular spot. He'll score a few goals, but he's not been prolific, at least in the PL and his all around play isn't anything to shout about.

I'm not dancing in the street about McCormack, but I'd much rather have him than Gayle.

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Jonjo Shelvey would be a good player if he didn't spend 95% of his time moaning at the ref, muttering to himself, walking with his hands on his hips or generally moping aroumd looking like an 10 year old who has had his PS4 taken off him.

he learned it all playing with Gerrard, wait until he adds starfish diving ;)

It was amusing to see them lose the first game after all the hype about them pissing the league. They probably still will but an opening day defeat was very welcome.

all the " it was a wake up call" comments amused me and "we know now that it will be a tough league". Ridiculous thing to say and admits you weren't prepared.

the strangest decision for me was Benitez appointing Lascelles as captain.

Far too young and done nothing to earn the respect of his teammates. More importantly, nowhere near good enough to inspire and motivate through his play either. They got a bit carried away with his performances last season because he tried and put in some good performances. But I bet there are a fair few players in the team thinking " really? This child who has done nothing in the game and will make plenty of errors that lead to goals is my captain?"

He was interview after the game last night and fair play said all the right things but you couldn't help feel it was all a bit forced. I would like it to us making Baker captain a couple of seasons ago.

like I said strange one.

7 hours ago, AshVilla said:

bwahahaha newcastle

we will probably lose now sunday and i'll be left with egg on my face

If we do, then we do. We're going to lose some games this season.

If Sunday is one of them then we'll have lost to one of the best teams in last season's Championship who have since spent millions of pounds on new players.

They lost to a team that finished 20th and then sold it's two best players.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Anyone still gutted we didn't spunk £10m on Gayle? Anyone.... anyone?

Nope...said at the time in the transfer thread when you look at his goals per game stat it's nothing special but more importantly when you look at o was keeping him out of the palace team, adebayor, wickham, chamackh...blokes who scored once every four games were keeping him out of the team, speaks volumes 

• Like 1

Other than one or two stints than non-league, Gayle's scoring record is very average. Doesn't really provide much else for the team and that is why i'm happy with the fact we didn't get him.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

Never wanted him. Quite interesting hearing Warnock talk about him, when Newcastle signed him. Said he could never find a place for him in the team at Palace. Not because has no qualities but because he doesn't offer the team as a whole enough to justify a regular spot. He'll score a few goals, but he's not been prolific, at least in the PL and his all around play isn't anything to shout about.

I'm not dancing in the street about McCormack, but I'd much rather have him than Gayle.

Warnock actually said the same about Ross Mc who he managed at Leeds, said he too is difficult to fit into a rigid formation.

Still think Gayle will score 15 goals this season.

Â