Christian Benteke

Kwan

17 in 37 (including 2 in 2 cup games) again this year so far for a Palace side that have been crap for most of it.

You can fault his work rate/positioning/decision making but he knows where the net is and still manages there or thereabouts a goal every other game for shit teams.

Will be interesting to see what happens in the summer, Costa will be off from chelsea and seems they would like lukaku back but they were also rumoured to be interested in Benteke in Jan and i would imagine would be half the price of Lukaku and do pretty much the same job.

Failing that if Lukaku does go to chelsea he could be a ready made replacement at Goodison Park, That would be fun.

Benteke is always quietly one of the best strikers in the prem. It's amazing he doesn't have top 4 clubs and other big clubs looking at him. When fit, he will get you 15+ goals a season even with poor service. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Benteke is always quietly one of the best strikers in the prem. It's amazing he doesn't have top 4 clubs and other big clubs looking at him. When fit, he will get you 15+ goals a season even with poor service. 

Like Lukaku though, he just has periods where he looks like he really doesn't want to be there.

If he had the desire and work rate of someone like Ronaldo he'd be pushing 35 goals a season.

• Like 1

He's missed about three penalties this season hasn't he so he could easily have reached 20 goals but will just miss out like he did here.

He has faults, we saw them at Liverpool and also Palace over xmas but he'll always score 15 goals at least in a season if he stays fit as he's just such an awkward striker to defend against. 

I still think that no matter how bad our season was the year we went down, that if he was asked now if he regrets leaving us he would say he did. It was a terrible career move, and I am glad he is hitting form again this year. Would be perfect for Everton if they lose Lukaku.

12 hours ago, steve1986 said:

I still think that no matter how bad our season was the year we went down, that if he was asked now if he regrets leaving us he would say he did. It was a terrible career move, and I am glad he is hitting form again this year. Would be perfect for Everton if they lose Lukaku.

I doubt it, when you are playing for Villa you don't turn down a team like Liverpool. Just a shame it was the wrong managers at the wrong time from his perspective. Plus, he instantly became a £100,000 a week player...which is nice.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I doubt it, when you are playing for Villa you don't turn down a team like Liverpool. Just a shame it was the wrong managers at the wrong time from his perspective. Plus, he instantly became a £100,000 a week player...which is nice.

I think if you look at how his career has gone since he would definitely question his decision, no longer a starter for Belgium and in terms of career has made no progress. Yes he is richer, but I don't think he is ever going to struggle for money.

1 hour ago, steve1986 said:

I think if you look at how his career has gone since he would definitely question his decision, no longer a starter for Belgium and in terms of career has made no progress. Yes he is richer, but I don't think he is ever going to struggle for money.

I think the starter for Belgium thing happened more from his injuries than anything else

• 3 months later...
45 minutes ago, turvontour said:

He's having a bit of an odd sort of nothing career isnt he, what is he 27 now? 

I thought that he was destined to go on to huge things when he left us.

Not really sure where he goes from here.

26. Liverpool stunted his growth as a player massively.

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

26. Liverpool stunted his growth as a player massively.

More Villa I think. He had the chance to leave Villa after that first season but chose to sign a new contract. Biggest mistake he ever made. 

11 minutes ago, PaulC said:

More Villa I think. He had the chance to leave Villa after that first season but chose to sign a new contract. Biggest mistake he ever made. 

Wasn't it more of a case that no one would match our valuation of him?

Â