Christian Benteke

Kwan

19 hours ago, Zatman said:

10 goals in 27 for a struggling team. He hasnt hit the Villa heights but he is still doing well for himself

he has more goals than players like Vardy and Giroud have

Surprised it's been as many as that at Palace as it seemed before Saturday he hadn't scored for months.

He's always been a streaky striker though so he'll probably have a good run to the end of the season like he used to do for us at this stage. I see Palace have Arsenal soon and he had a great record v them for us.

My point is at this stage of the career he should be better than continually fighting relegation battles. You only have to look at Lukaku again failing to control a ball with his back to goal in a good game to think Benteke should be capable of playing for an Everton standard type team.

Funnily enough the ideal team for him in the prem given how they play is West Brom....I'd disown him if he went there though!

I've never really taken to Tekkers. His record looks great but watching him in the flesh he's frustrating. I imagine at Championship level he's score about 6 goals in 1 game then do little for about 6 games before getting another 5 against someone else.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Genie said:

I've never really taken to Tekkers. His record looks great but watching him in the flesh he's frustrating. I imagine at Championship level he's score about 6 goals in 1 game then do little for about 6 games before getting another 5 against someone else.

He doesn't work hard off the ball at all and is incredibly reliant on service.

The thing about him is that the service doesn't necessarily need to be that good for him to create something out of it.  As someone said earlier on, he's so composed in front of goal.  I always remember the third goal we scored against Stoke however many seasons ago (the one with that Lowton goal).  We basically broke with 4 on 1 with Benteke carrying the ball.  Did he look to pass the ball for an easy goal?  Hell no.  Straight through, slot past the keeper.  No doubt at all.

But yes, very frustrating otherwise.  If things aren't going his way, he doesn't want to know about it*.

* - Still my favourite player at Villa for a long, long time though.  Well, aside from CARLES GIL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Indeed, a fully fit Benteke would score 30-40 goals at Championship level. 

Based on ability I would agree, but I don't think Benteke would get himself up for the Championship games in reality. 15-20.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

He doesn't work hard off the ball at all and is incredibly reliant on service.

The thing about him is that the service doesn't necessarily need to be that good for him to create something out of it.  As someone said earlier on, he's so composed in front of goal.  I always remember the third goal we scored against Stoke however many seasons ago (the one with that Lowton goal).  We basically broke with 4 on 1 with Benteke carrying the ball.  Did he look to pass the ball for an easy goal?  Hell no.  Straight through, slot past the keeper.  No doubt at all.

But yes, very frustrating otherwise.  If things aren't going his way, he doesn't want to know about it*.

* - Still my favourite player at Villa for a long, long time though.  Well, aside from CARLES GIL.

Also an example of a goal where he didn't really have any service, he scored a few of those before he snapped his achiles. After that he was less mobile and more reliant on service into him. 

Sorry but I think its irrelevant talking about him. He wanted to leave, He definitely wouldn't have wanted to play in the championship. Kodjia is doing the business for us now and that's all that matters to me. Anyway if he's 10 times better than kodjia, Lukaku must be 10 times better than him. .

6 hours ago, PaulC said:

Sorry but I think its irrelevant talking about him. He wanted to leave, He definitely wouldn't have wanted to play in the championship. Kodjia is doing the business for us now and that's all that matters to me. Anyway if he's 10 times better than kodjia, Lukaku must be 10 times better than him. .

This is the Christian Benteke thread.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PaulC said:

Come back to me when he can learn to control a ball with his back to goal at Anfield.

Actually come to think about it Benteke had the same issues.:lol:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Come back to me when he can learn to control a ball with his back to goal at Anfield.

never at Anfield though ;)

13 hours ago, VillaChris said:

They did a good job on him but  21 goals this season in the league. if he continues improving like he has then he's on his way to being the best striker in world football.

Edited by PaulC

21 hours ago, PaulC said:

They did a good job on him but  21 goals this season in the league. if he continues improving like he has then he's on his way to being the best striker in world football.

Lukaku will always score 20 odd goals in  season due to his size and pace. I've said before he reminds me of a bit of a better Yakubu.

Best striker in the world though....they play for Barcelona. Can you imagine how many Barca attacks would break down if Lukaku was upfront for them. He has a very long way to go.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Benteke is a better player than Lukaku period. He's just as physical if not more but he can actually control and pass a football.

little to choose between them although lukaku has scored more consistently over a few years - think if they were both sold in the summer lukaku would probably go for twice as much with Everton claiming they'd expect £40m plus.

• Like 1

Lukaku has been first choice ever since his West Brom season and had made at least 30 starts ever since then. He also has not suffered any major injuries in that time.

Meanwhile Benteke had a torn Achilles in his time here and had to deal with the whole Liverpool debacle where he was 3rd in the pecking order at times. Either side of that he has played in bad, relegation struggling teams while Lukaku has been pushing for Europe (and maybe even CL this season) pretty much his whole time in the PL bar one season with the Baggies.

That said , their goal scoring ratios aren't that far apart. Lukaku has a ratio of 0.48 compared to Benteke's 0.42.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
Â