Christian Benteke

Kwan

I have to tip my hat to the team behind the scenes, including Randy, for sticking out for the full wedge. Real shame to see him go but he is honestly, for me, the best player I have ever seen in our shirt. For that I am proud, grateful and will also continue to give Christian my full support whenever I see him play.

He is a special individual that has all the attribute it takes to get to the top of the game, we had a few mishaps, mistakes and a few shaky moments, but I blame his agent and also his immaturity being a young man in a new climate trying to attain his own ambitions. I think now he is a different man; he has ensured we got a healthy profit from his sale by allowing such a clause to be placed in his contract, he gives his all on and off the pitch, he has developed as a player and as a man.

When he comes back to Villa Park as in a different shirt, I hope our own fans get behind him and sing him his song. 

Christian, The Big Man, The Beast - I, for one, will never forget him.

I fully appreciate , firstly , the goals from Christian over the last few years , and secondly , the handsome transfer fee received , and i thank him for his part in that. My generosity however could never stretch to singing the name of an opposing player , he is the same as any other opposing player to me now!

• Like 1

I think if there had been no buyout clause he'd have gone for no more than £25m.

So the 2 scenarios are :

i) With the buyout clause, he goes to a club that most of us hate, but Villa get £32.5m.

ii) Without the buyout clause, he goes to a CL club that we prefer over redscouse, but Villa get £25m.

I think given our current lot, I'd have to bury my own prejudices and go with option one, but I do so begrudgingly.

why on earth would we have bothered selling him for 25m ?

If there was no buyout clause then it might have been the best we'd have got and it would have represented value for the CL sides that they obviously didn't see in him at the higher price.  It's a hypothetical scenario but it's not a far-fetched one.

• Like 1

Yes hypothetically the whole scenario could have been a lot different with no clause. There would be a good chance Benteke would have ended up trying to force a move which would have made the whole thing a lot messier. It may of still happened if Liverpool didn't want to pay the full amount but a £32.5 million clause was a realistic amount & helped make it more straight forward. So all in all the clause worked out well, if you can call losing Benteke well.

Is having / has had the rest of his medical at Liverpool's London offices this morning. I am in London at the moment and a colleague at the meeting I was at bumped into him in the reception at another building. As a Liverpool fan she recognised him.

Tin hats on, do we think we'll sign someone immediately after this is finally announced?

Of course.

We've got Pierre-Michel Lasogga hiding out in the hotel waiting.. desperately waiting.

Tin hats on, do we think we'll sign someone immediately after this is finally announced?

Villa have already shown in this window that they will expedite a bit of good news in order to try and quell the reaction to bad news.  So I'd certainly hope that they do.

• Like 3

Is there any scope we would have accepted something like £29m to squeeze in a selling on fee? Might have something to do with the delay

Nah. No way if Liverpool are willing to spend £29m they would consider not recouping that money when they sold him, so, they'd only go for percentage of profit. say they sell him on for £50m, the sell on would have to be ~20% of profit for it to be worth the deal for us. Just a bit of a pointless exercise.

Best forward I have seen at Villa by far, potentially the best player but Young and Milner in their peak were up there.

I love Benteke but hate Liverpool. I hope he scores 50 goals but they let in twice as many and finish 7th, he hands in a transfer request and goes to Real Madrid.

He is way too good for them, he is the complete striker. Iv seen him destroy defenders for pace, strength and height. He is good with his feet and frankly a lot of the goals he has scored are of his own doing. Out of all the top few clubs I think Liverpool is the worst team for him personally, they don't set up to suit his best style but he will still score a lot.

Good luck Christian.

As a Liverpool fan she recognised him.

How could a Liverpool fan recognise him? He has never played for Liverpool :P

Maybe from her nightmares, being as he ripped them apart in quite a few games?

• Like 3

Villa have already shown in this window that they will expedite a bit of good news in order to try and quell the reaction to bad news.  So I'd certainly hope that they do.

Not sure how this is bad news anymore as it has been previewed for ages

Something I thought about.  Rumours are that we are not after Austin. Well the noises coming from the club are that we won't be after him. Yet plenty of clubs are an yet he has not moved yet.  Could it all be a game and we will make our move as soon as we let Benteke go?

Or am I just bored on a Wednesday afternoon?

Anyone tell me are player transfers subject to VAT? I'd imagine we'd have more than enough losses to cover any CT on any sales at this stage but would CB's transfer be subject to VAT?

Looks like they are, jesus no wonder, people are saying we won't have a net spend of £20m, so take VAT off, take off 10% to Benteke, Genk's share and what are we left with.
The VAT will be added to the £32.5m as both Aston Villa and Liverpool will be VAT registered.

You say you are studying this stuff? ;)

Yeah, I was gonna say this...in any of my daily rate, I negotiate vthe deal and then vat is added on top. Vat is not part of our price, we're just bound to collect it by being vat registered. I just wonder if clubs can claim the vat back, it's a company asset so normally you can.

Of course it would be Liverpool who claim the vat back in this case, just wondering in general - and it doesn't matter I'm the scheme of things

Edited by Neil

I suspect/hope a number of deals are waiting on this one. Hopefully if/when this gets announced, I can see us announcing one or two in at the same time.

Edited by Sam3773

Â