Christian Benteke

Kwan

The point is we can replace his goals of the last two seasons. What we probably won't replace is his potential to score 30 goals in a season.

He ultimately kept us up last season. But a big part of the reason we were in the mess we were in was because he was didn't start scoring until March. Not all his fault obviously, but what we need now is consistency.

It's a great point. We won't be able to replace a 10 goals in 15 games striker, but we may be able to replace a 16 goals in 38 games striker.

Ps no one stat me out please, I'm on my phone and the above numbers were guesses.

Benteke as an individual will be difficult to replace. However as a team we should in theory comfortably be able to replace his goals. Last season we scored 31 goals, the previous season 39. I think as a team we had almost become too obsessed and reliant on Benteke to the point that our game revolved around him scoring and getting the best out of him.

It is noticeable to me that every time I have seen him for Belgium he has not really performed. His record of 7 in 24 in what for me is a very good Belgium team is a poor return. Their whole set up doesn't revolve around him though.

There is no doubt he has done well for us and given the way we set up, and lack of quality around him certainly in his first two seasons, then without his goals we'd have dropped. I do think though if the money we get for him is reinvested well and we adopt a different brand of football more about getting goals from all areas of the team that we can kick on without him.

Given how I expect us to set up under Sherwood, even without Benteke being directly replaced with the same level of player, that next season we can realistically score 45+ league goals which would be 50% more than we did last season.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

Benteke carried us the last couple of seasons. We shouldn't look to replace him with someone of equally broad shoulders. We should look at improving our attacking options I'm general, so we're not relying on one man.

As a side note, we bought Benteke for pocket change. Not every fantastic striker is up for £32 million. If we're smart, we can get another striker who can shine for us, as long as we don't rush into the first overpriced oldie.

• Like 1

I think they're fair questions to ask.

Personally whilst I think he is a great player I don't feel I place him on the same level of brilliance as some others. On his day he is, unquestionably, absolutely brilliant but as Mark has pointed out we the whole team was set-up to maximise his talent. The test of just how good he is, will be when he is playing at the highest level with a team consistently challenging to win things, which makes it even more frustrating that he's moving to Liverpool where he won't be doing this.

Just hurry the **** up with it all. I really don't understand what can be taking so long with this transfer?

Rodgers dosn't want him

She doesn't either

liverpool.jpg

Â