Christian Benteke

Kwan

Just for the sake of discussion then, is it not feasible that a good £10m striker could in theory score a similar amount of goals for us? 

A £500,000 striker could in theory score the same amount of goals, as could a £50m player..........no offence but bit of a pointless question really given that, to my knowledge at least no-one can see into the future.........

Oh and Benteke cost 50% of £10M so there's your answer if you really needed one.

No offence taken. It wasn't a question with an agenda to be fair. The beast is going to be an impossible act to follow for sure, but it was more to see if the majority of Benteke's goals last season were down to the quality of Benteke, or would we expect any half decent striker to have converted them. 

All moot of course, but just a bit of conversation on a slow news day.

Just for the sake of discussion then, is it not feasible that a good £10m striker could in theory score a similar amount of goals for us? 

Of course it is. Benteke cost 7m. He isn't the only striker out there that's capable of scoring as much as he has. There's plenty out there, its just a case of whether we can find another one.

Yes, some of Benteke's play during our relegation run-in was exemplary.  And I don't think this was him at his very highest gear.  I think any doubters, Pool fans or whomever, will be very quickly won over.  There's a truly crazy game in the guy.

What is in many ways most impressive about Benteke is the dynamic between his shrew footballing intelligence and his raw abilities.  Almost like an exact mirror opposite of Falcao last season, Benteke is in total control of what he is capable of.  He sees, he plots, he demolishes.  And not always in the way you think he will.  That's devastating.

Why even that legendary barge on Chris Smalling had the distinct feeling of trigonometry about it.  Beast Trigonometry.

Worth remembering that with injuries etc. he scored 13 PL goals in 2014 and 10 in 2013.  I would expect a £10m striker to score that.  Plus, if we have better all round players and more goals coming from other areas we might do OK.  Of course he is a massive loss, I am just saying.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 2

Worth remembering that with injuries etc. he scored 13 PL goals in 2014 and 10 in 2013. I would expect a £10m to score that. Plus, if we have overall better play and more goals coming from other areas as a team we might be better.

Indeed. I think if we can't replace that we truly are screwed.

In reality, the biggest thing we are losing here is his potential. Will be missed regardless.

Good luck Christian. Top man.

• Like 1

Curveball: Benteke signs for Everton for £40 mil.

It's amazing what you can make up when a transfer takes longer than a season.

Here we go with the he was craap but he's no longer our player anymore comments!

What about the goals he scored out of nothing? Some of the names banded about as replacements at the moment can only rectify goals vs Norwich/West Brom in their dreams.

When Suarez went Liverpool fell from 2nd the 6th. When Bale left Spurs went from Champions League to Europa League.

We have no scope for any kind of reduction in our form, or we'll be relegated. We need a big marquee signing not spread it around on rubbish (again, see Liverpool and Spurs).

Edited by supernova26

Here we go with the he was craap but he's no longer our player anymore comments!

What about the goals he scored out of nothing? Some of the names banded about as replacements at the moment can only rectify goals vs Norwich/West Brom in their dreams.

When Suarez went Liverpool fell from 2nd the 6th. When Bale left Spurs went from Champions League to Europa League.

We have no scope for any kind of reduction in our form, or we'll be relegated. We need a big marquee signing not spread it around on rubbish (again, see Liverpool and Spurs).

Don't think anyone has said he was crap have they?

The point is we can replace his goals of the last two seasons. What we probably won't replace is his potential to score 30 goals in a season.

He ultimately kept us up last season. But a big part of the reason we were in the mess we were in was because he was didn't start scoring until March. Not all his fault obviously, but what we need now is consistency.

• Like 1

No one is saying he's crap! Not in the slightest.

In fact, I'm pretty sure everyone is acknowledging just what a loss he will be to our team.

That doesn't stop people analysing things a little further. I think it's okay to ask just how many goals were indeed created from nothing last season?

Would we expect any half-decent striker to have converted the very same chances?

Was it because of the sheer lack in quality across the rest of the team that Benteke stood out so much?

Would we be in a better situation if we distributed more goals across the team?

They're not loaded questions btw, before you ask.

Edited by StanBalaban

Who said he was crap??

Jesus. That person needs to get a grip.

I know. He's literally irreplaceable for a club like us, lets not pretend otherwise.

Not literally. But incredibly unlikely we will replace his talent straight away yes.

I'm comfortable with that. We now need to go and build a team.

Good luck to Christan. He will win a champions league medal one day I reckon.

• Like 2

Â