Christian Benteke

Kwan

Genuine question coming up....

In previous seasons, I remember that goal against West Brom and the third against Liverpool where Benteke was in full-on beast mode and created the goals out of nothing. Then there's the assists for Weimann against Man U and Liverpool again.

Can anyone remind me of a Benteke goal from last season that was above and beyond the remit of any good striker? Genuine question, I simply can't recall.

There's probably more, but the goal against Palace away where he robbed Dann on the touchline and then used Hangeland as a shield to unsight the keeper was a thing of beauty, and he created it and executed it entirely by himself. 

• Like 3

In previous seasons, I remember that goal against West Brom and the third against Liverpool where Benteke was in full-on beast mode and created the goals out of nothing. Then there's the assists for Weimann against Man U and Liverpool again.

Can anyone remind me of a Benteke goal from last season that was above and beyond the remit of any good striker? Genuine question, I simply can't recall.

There's probably more, but the goal against Palace away where he robbed Dann on the touchline and then used Hangeland as a shield to unsight the keeper was a thing of beauty, and he created it and executed it entirely by himself. 

Yes, I'd forgotten that one. Very clever play.

Palace away ? United at home ?

• Like 1

Something I thought about. Rumours are that we are not after Austin. Well the noises coming from the club are that we won't be after him. Yet plenty of clubs are an yet he has not moved yet. Could it all be a game and we will make our move as soon as we let Benteke go? Or am I just bored on a Wednesday afternoon?

I don't get out club sometimes, why wouldn't we be after Austin, he is a proven goalscorer. It's like juninho and Robbie Keane (1st time around) again :(

It's more the supposed 60k a week than the actual fee for Austin. I think our stance is we can we Adebayor & a young forward for the price/wages of Austin.

Just for the sake of discussion then, is it not feasible that a good £10m striker could in theory score a similar amount of goals for us? 

Of course it's feesible, if we're very lucky

But Benteke did a whole lot more than score goals in our side. His whole game will be missed not just the goals. Someone like Austin (for example) wouldn't replace what we'd be losing at all IMHO

Just for the sake of discussion then, is it not feasible that a good £10m striker could in theory score a similar amount of goals for us? 

Of course it's feesible, if we're very lucky

But Benteke did a whole lot more than score goals in our side. His whole game will be missed not just the goals. Someone like Austin (for example) wouldn't replace what we'd be losing at all IMHO

I actually agree, I'm just trying to keep the topic going on another slow news day.

I think Benteke's sheer presence will be very difficult to replace. Defenders must be shit scared of him, but we lacked players with the intelligence to make the most of the attention CB was receiving by the opposition, therefore paying less attention to the likes of CNZ and Gabby.

Got to be said, if you look back there are many a match thread where we'll find the phrased 'Bentesky' being used. However, I think the big man will leave a largely unfillable hole in the team.

I'm hoping that Tim plans to plug the gap with more quality across the park rather than hoping he can find someone to fill those boots alone.

Saw pics of tekkers at lime street on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulsenior1/status/623899968408055809

Fake. That Mercedes is not on bricks.

• Like 1

That depends. If you're talking about the 1-in-2 that he scored over his Villa career, then yes, it's feasible but very unlikely. At the end of last season he was scoring a goal a game, that's definitely not going to be replicated by anyone. 

I think the question might not be can one striker replace him more can we develop and system and purchase/intergrate players to have the team be a more fully functional attacking unit.

If for instance we could have a midfield that could produce 10-15 goals between them then a striker with 10 would make us a more attacking threat than last season.

• Like 2

I think the question might not be can one striker replace him more can we develop and system and purchase/intergrate players to have the team be a more fully functional attacking unit.

If for instance we could have a midfield that could produce 10-15 goals between them then a striker with 10 would make us a more attacking threat than last season.

Exactly, teams knew that if they shut Benteke down then that's our scoring chances pretty much gone. If we can get more goals from other positions all of a sudden we aren't so one dimensional.

the 2nd goal against QPR, if Rooney did it they would still be talking about the genius of it

• Like 1

A £500,000 striker could in theory score the same amount of goals, as could a £50m player..........no offence but bit of a pointless question really given that, to my knowledge at least no-one can see into the future.........

Oh and Benteke cost 50% of £10M so there's your answer if you really needed one.

• Like 1

Â