Christian Benteke

Kwan

Sad to see him go if he goes but I cant help but think Plop are crazy paying £32.5mil.

Yes he is a good player and yes he helped us stay up last year but he isnt a world class striker,many games we have seen him for Villa do basically nothing for instance the FA Cup final.He is a big loss but not irraplaceable £32.5mil will get us alot more players and players who will make us a better team and not make CB stand out as much.

Sad to see him go if he goes but I cant help but think Plop are crazy paying £32.5mil.

Yes he is a good player and yes he helped us stay up last year but he isnt a world class striker,many games we have seen him for Villa do basically nothing for instance the FA Cup final.He is a big loss but not irraplaceable £32.5mil will get us alot more players and players who will make us a better team and not make CB stand out as much.

I agree to an extent, but playing with Coutinho and Firmino, for example, will lead to Benteke having a better quality of service.

If he goes to Liverpool, it'll be interesting to see if they bother playing with any width to accommodate his aerial prowess.  My gut feeling is "no", and Benteke is decent enough with the ball at his feet anyway.

£32.5m.  It feels like a bit of a win all round.

I've tried to catch up on this thread, but it's going at a bit of a fast pace so not sure this has been posted before...

A user on the Liverpool subreddit made a fantastic post by breaking down the qualities that Benteke has and basically why Liverscum fans are crazy to think he is too sh*t for their team.

Let's settle a few things first:

• Benteke has made 101 appearances in 3 seasons, scoring 49 goals. That's a ratio of 0.485, or just about 1 goal every 2 games. That's **** fantastic for a team as devoid of creativity and guile as Lambert's Villa were. We have no flair players or playmakers.
  • Benteke is not injury prone. He sustained a hip flexor injury during the first half of the 13/14 season and an achilles injury from a bad tackle in training just before the World Cup. He struggled to build momentum during that season. Other than that, he has remained injury-free.
  • Guzan, Vlaar and Delph certainly played their parts, but Benteke was the driving force behind Villa for 3 straight years. In a team of dross and low quality imports, Benteke elevated us to the status of competitors at least.
  • His agent, Eris Kismet, is pulling the strings. He and Benteke forced the move from Genk to Villa in 2012 and tried to force a transfer to Spurs in summer 2013. Ultimately he agreed to stay, got a big pay rise and all was forgiven but Kismet, as agents do, is always looking for the next big move. You guys know what I'm talking about, considering recent events with Sterling.
  • Under Lambert, Villa flirted with progressively less exciting playstyles as time went on. At first we were a counter-attacking team. Then we persevered with a rugged long-ball game which limited Benteke. Finally, we settled on a possession-based style with no end product which rendered Benteke useless. Lambert was sacked, Sherwood arrived and Benteke thrived once again.

He goes into much more depth, and whilst perhaps not as interesting as the wild speculation on here, I thought it was worth posting ;)

Just read this. Such a good write up. And the videos the OP poster links to are so good. I'm sure gonna miss Christian (if/when he leaves). What a brilliant player he's been for us.

• Like 2

im convinced in 2 years when they haven't got champions league he will do the same to them

Undoubtedly. IMO he's too good for them now so it might only take him to score 20 odd league goals next season and the real big hitters will be sniffing around. Be interesting to see how much profit they make from him.

The flip side is, we're set up for him to score goals. Once (if!) Sturridge is fit and they play two up front it's hard to see them banging crosses in. Firmino, Coutinho and Henderson will all be more central, plus they have Lallana, Lucas, Can, Milner and Allen. Markovic is their only real crosser and he was rubbish last season.

He'll be competing with Lambert, Balotelli and Ings too. It's a good looking squad but doesn't look versatile or balanced to me.

Come on Man U - bid £35 mill. It'll be like the good bit in homes under the hammer.

You do realise it does not work that way. Perhaps you are new to this thread.

They only have to meet the buyout clause.

Can't bear enthusiasm either, it's well annoying.

So no link then..im guessing its the usual twitter talk

Here

Liverpool agree to bid £32.5million for Christian Benteke Anfield club decide to meet Aston Villa striker's release clause as they aim to secure their No1 summer transfer target.....

Lol

Newly the bid better be 32.5m because the last two weren't ;-)

It will be.
cash and not an amount then another made up amount based on their inflated value of a player

Only a £32.5m bid in cash will be accepted as it's the buyout. If Liverpool do bid it I'd release the news straight away to flush out any other interest. I know we can't get more money but I'd love it for united to gazump them late on.

Here

Liverpool agree to bid £32.5million for Christian Benteke Anfield club decide to meet Aston Villa striker's release clause as they aim to secure their No1 summer transfer target.....

I expected proof, not another newspaper article without any real foundation.

Â