Christian Benteke

Kwan

3 hours ago, tinker said:

Watching him on the bench for Belgium, while lu kaku lumbered around the  pitch missing chances, does make you see how poor decisions can influence things. If he had of stayed , no relegation and Belgium would have beat Wales with him in that team .

He was excellent for us but he wouldn't have been the difference between relegation and staying up last season. We weren't creating a shit load of chances and missing them we were creating f all and our defending was atrocious. Benteke or any other striker for that matter wouldn't have prevented relegation.

Liverpool have wasted him really as he needs a side to be set up to get the best out of him. He likes the ball to be played up to him quickly and then other players can play off him or he needs balls whipped into him from out wide. He is actually quite an easy player to get the best out of.

He hasn't helped himself though as his head appeared to go down quickly when things were not going well which was an issue for him here also. I am sure he will come good again and I think if he goes to Palace they will play in a style to get the best out of him and if he stays injury fee I could see him banging in 20+ goals next season.

• Like 1

We would've stayed up if Benteke had stayed. He just had that massive influence on the team and others would perform above themselves when he did as we saw in cup semi final and league games around that period, Bacuna actually looked like a decent RB with his crosses for Benteke for example.

He can do better than Palace imo...

West Ham need a forward, would be exciting move with Olympic stadium and they weren't far off CL at all.

Even somewhere like Stoke, again solid top 10 team that probably needs more goals to challenge for top 6. They're on about signing Berahino for 16m so surprised they're not in for Benteke instead.

• Like 2

It's strange to think that from the sales of Benteke and Delph, none of the five parties involved (Villa, the two players, Liverpool & Man City) have really benefited from the transfers, speaking purely in football rather than financial terms. Bad business all round.

If Benteke had stayed, it does lead me to wonder which of the players would still have been bought last summer. 

13 hours ago, Genie said:

You know it's all about money. He got a chunk of £32m and a payrise to play for Liverpool, now he's getting a chunk of £25m and at least same wages again to play in London, in the Premier League, for Palace.

He'll probably go back to Belgium in his 30's, play for his hometown club and feel like it was all worth it.

I have to say, as tragedies go, 'man makes lots of money, plays sport for favourite team, is ultimately satisfied with career' is not exactly Shakespearean. 

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I remember many, many games watching him lumbering around up front for us.

but he played with Agbonlahor and Weimann, Lukaku was playing with Hazard and De Bruyne so really no excuse to lumber around 

Man, he really messed things up for himself. I was really projecting him to go all the way to the top, probably signing for Madrid after this year's Euro's. Things turned out so badly for the both of us. All we needed was 1 more season Chris!

31 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Man, he really messed things up for himself. I was really projecting him to go all the way to the top, probably signing for Madrid after this year's Euro's. Things turned out so badly for the both of us. All we needed was 1 more season Chris!

We already got the 1 more season out of him tbf. I don't think anyone expected us to get him to sign that contract extension the year before he left.

• Like 1

I think Benteke should go out on loan somewhere for a season, even if it was Palace. A season of game time in the Premier League (or another top division) is what he needs. Then he can rejoin us for 2017/18 when we are back in the Premier League.

"Don't be afraid to have dreams" - Chris Coleman

• Like 1

I cant imagine being the only one who thought Loserpool was the wrong move for him.

manU Chelsea Arse & Spurs all better teams for him to execute that what he can and develope his game at the same time.

Money really does distort peoples perspectives.

PS I 've always thought that once you have 1 million tied up save and can live well, why chase millions more when a steady tick-over of money comes in anyway?

Surely the point of being "Financially secure" is to allow you and your family to live life as and how you wish not to be pressured into a multitude of something that takes you over?

11 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

I cant imagine being the only one who thought Loserpool was the wrong move for him.

manU Chelsea Arse & Spurs all better teams for him to execute that what he can and develope his game at the same time.

you ever thought that maybe, these teams thought he wasnt good enough for them for the price? 

i dont get all this liverpool is wrong move for him. If theres only two teams in for him, villa and liverpool,you take the move to liverpool.  He played in a very limited villa side where he was the star who had clear limitations in his game for him to succeed at the top. you couldnt really tell if he could overcome those limitations given the style villa played. Liverpool was the side to show he could overcome these limitations, was a good move for him if he ever wanted to play for the elite teams, he failed. Just because it didnt work out for him doesnt mean it was a bad move

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, gharperr said:

you ever thought that maybe, these teams thought he wasnt good enough for them for the price? 

i dont get all this liverpool is wrong move for him. If theres only two teams in for him, villa and liverpool,you take the move to liverpool.  He played in a very limited villa side where he was the star who had clear limitations in his game for him to succeed at the top. you couldnt really tell if he could overcome those limitations given the style villa played. Liverpool was the side to show he could overcome these limitations, was a good move for him if he ever wanted to play for the elite teams, he failed. Just because it didnt work out for him doesnt mean it was a bad move

Sorry, didnt get enough games to prove what he's good at, thus no chance to develope as a player.

L'pool = total failure as far as moves go

32 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Money really does distort peoples perspectives.

PS I 've always thought that once you have 1 million tied up save and can live well, why chase millions more when a steady tick-over of money comes in anyway?

Surely the point of being "Financially secure" is to allow you and your family to live life as and how you wish not to be pressured into a multitude of something that takes you over?

I personally didn't think he would fit in with what Liverpool were doing. But, Liverpool is a pretty big step forward from where we were and you can't help but think a player believes "If they're paying all this money for me, they must think I'm great", so I can 100% understand his move. If I were at a struggling club and Liverpool came in for me, I'd likely go too. Did any other clubs meet the release clause? Did he pick Liverpool as the only option? Or did he turn down other clubs?

58 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

.......and you can't help but think a player believes "If they're paying all this

>>>>>>>>>>money<<<<<<<<<<< 

for me, they must think I'm great".....

Therein >$£$£$< lies the wrong train of thought

if his release clause was only 1m would that trigger the same train of thought

The secret is to take the "money" factor out of the equation then find the reality.

Liverpool not being the right footballing move for him

Liverpool was the wrong move for him not because of Benteke's limitations as a player, but because of how Liverpool play. (Maybe they are two of the same thing)

It is possible for a player who likes a direct game to be a success at a "big" or "elite" club. Drogba is surely an example of that. 

Though, after this move Benteke needs to prove himself again. No "big" team would take a punt on him now, who knows if he will recover from this. If he goes and scores 20+ for Crystal Palace next year they will sell him on for profit. 

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

It is possible for a player who likes a direct game to be a success at a "big" or "elite" club. Drogba is surely an example of that. 

But theres clear differences between drogba and benteke which makes benteke be nowhere near as effective? Drogba was just like lukaku + benteke combined. Even since the years of drogba, football has shifted a bit. The clubs and fans demand more on average. unless im missing some obvious team, the teams that do play direct CA football against certain teams much prefer a striker who isnt lazy and slow without the ball.

Its been a few years now benteke been on the scene. If he was good enough he would have been snapped up by now. Its not like hes going for 50/60m+ here. The likelihood that all these top teams are just ignoring him  and dont see this amazing striker who would be good enough for them is so slim that i think its time majority of villa fans stop over rating his ability

Edited by gharperr

Has football changed much at all over the past 10-15 years? I'm not so sure. We've had a handful of teams try and play tikataka shit when Spain were dominating, we've had a handful of team try and play the Klopp/Poch way of pressing... but generally, football is just football and Leicester just won the league doing none of those things. Wales are in a semi final doing none of those things. The one thing in football that will never change is that confidence can take you anywhere, and the Benteke that was full of confidence for Villa could have easily played for Chelsea imo. 

To be honest, I think he could still do that now as a squad player and be successful, and Arsenal. 

• Like 1

Â