Christian Benteke

Kwan

Bizarre point. Because that totally means hes good enough for a top team? What. He was amazing for us. I was sad to see him go. But does hat automatically make him a good enough striker for top/elite teams which many people try to claim. No.

Edited by gharperr

2 hours ago, sexbelowsound said:

There's not many things better in football than having a striker you can really believe in. :(

I miss him.

I just posted this is in the transfer thread: 

I miss him too. He is the best striker we've had since Yorke and I think he has been poorly advised by his 'agent.' He was the only bright light in 5 years of complete shite being a Villa. Basically kept us up for 3 seasons and always capable of creating a goal out of absolutely nothing. I would love him back here (although it will never happen this season) and it sucks that he's going to play for a 2 bob club like Palace. I reckon he'll score 20 goals there this season.

20 minutes ago, gharperr said:

Bizarre point. Because that totally means hes good enough for a top team? What. He was amazing for us. I was sad to see him go. But does hat automatically make him a good enough striker for top/elite teams which many people try to claim. No.

Not a bizarre point at all. You are just trying to find fault. Even in a poor team like us he scored plenty of goals, so there is no reason why he couldn't do it in a good side, however, most fans knew the move to Liverpool wouldn't work for him. Rodgers and now more so Klopp, like the striker to press and chase after everything. That is not Bentekes strengths.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Therein >$£$£$< lies the wrong train of thought

if his release clause was only 1m would that trigger the same train of thought

The secret is to take the "money" factor out of the equation then find the reality.

Liverpool not being the right footballing move for him

No, but his release clause wasn't £1m.

He obviously thought a club paying a mass for him, he would play regularly and they would play to his strengths.

They didn't. He wasn't to know that. I don't blame him for moving.

yeah Liverpool fault he failed more than Benteke, said before why have a player with such great aerial ability yet dont have any wingers to supply him

He got 1 in 4 for Liverpool considering he rarely started as well 

5 hours ago, gharperr said:

If you score 1 in 2 for anyone you are considered very good which he did in our shite team.  Not his fault Liverpool didn't have a clue with him.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

If you score 1 in 2 for anyone you are considered very good which he did in our shite team.  Not his fault Liverpool didn't have a clue with him.

Yep. What he did in a shit team is incredible really.

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If we stayed up had xia, and all that extra cash from tv deal I reckon we would have tried to resign him

If we stayed up, we'd still have Lerner at this point in time I reckon.

• Like 2

His time at Liverpool would have damaged his reputation somewhat, the top teams in the world will use his time at Liverpool rather than Villa as a marker, so the next season or two will be vital to his chances of getting another move to one of the worlds big clubs. 

20+ goals this and next may very well earn him another opportunity, fail again and i think ambitions of reaching the top will be all but gone. I suspect they are anyway. 

1 in 2 for a desperate Villa team means he obviously is a very good striker. In the right set-up he'd scored loads. 

As for trying to resign him, I don't think he would consider us even if we had stayed up. He's got absolutely no loyalty to any club (and why should he?). He'll go for the bright lights of London. We were just a stepping stone for him. He wanted out at the end of his first and third seasons and probably would have done the same in his second if he wasn't injured. Still, a very good striker for us. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Apparently he wants a pay-rise to join Palace. Isn't he on about 120,00 a week as it is? 

Yeah London prices. 

Poor sod will never get by on £120k down there.

On 2 July 2016 at 20:30, gharperr said:

It would have to be a top / elite club that knew how to utilise him but without question he belongs at one 

if you don't agree then fair enough football is all about opinions ... But you're  still wrong :P

Â