Christian Benteke

Kwan

18 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

I'd say him playing for Villa means he's more underrated by other fans than overrated by us. It's hard to score as many goals as he did in an awful side. I'd be surprised if there's more than 5/6 players in the league who scored more goals than him during his 3 years at Villa.

think was a stat that he was 3rd behind Aguero and Suarez 

8 minutes ago, av1 said:

By fans yes, but how about all the club scouts out there? Surely they would not be swayed by the colour of his jersey? Yet there appears to be very little interest. 

Though it sounds crazy, given the amount of money currently in the game, the £30m Liverpool would probably want for him is a relatively small figure, hence the likes of Palace and Hull now being in a postion to pay such a sum. 

So, he's young (ish), he has proved he can score goals at this level, and he isn't particularly expensive, so why no intetest?

Because £30m is still a lot of money. For all the talk that these clubs can afford to throw big money around, these are the 30m+ signings

Xhaka - Arsenal
Mkhitaryan - Man U
Bailly - Man U
Mane - Liverpool
Batshuayi - Chelsea
Kante - Chelsea

So it's only Arsenal, United, Liverpool and Chelsea that've spent that really big money. The biggest spend by none of the usual big names/spenders, is the current league Champions spending £16m in to bring in Musa. I think players values have inflated, but the mid-table/lower teams still aren't throwing money around.

I personally didn't really watch Liverpool much last season, but his Premier League record in terms of minutes per goal at Liverpool is actually better than his time at Villa, so his return was not bad at all. But of teams that're going to be throwing the big money around, most of them are set up front (mostly with physical players, too) in the likes of Diego Costa, Kane, Ibrahimovic, Giroud, Aguero, 

4 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Because £30m is still a lot of money. For all the talk that these clubs can afford to throw big money around, these are the 30m+ signings

Xhaka - Arsenal
Mkhitaryan - Man U
Bailly - Man U
Mane - Liverpool
Batshuayi - Chelsea
Kante - Chelsea

So it's only Arsenal, United, Liverpool and Chelsea that've spent that really big money. The biggest spend by none of the usual big names/spenders, is the current league Champions spending £16m in to bring in Musa. I think players values have inflated, but the mid-table/lower teams still aren't throwing money around.

I personally didn't really watch Liverpool much last season, but his Premier League record in terms of minutes per goal at Liverpool is actually better than his time at Villa, so his return was not bad at all. But of teams that're going to be throwing the big money around, most of them are set up front (mostly with physical players, too) in the likes of Diego Costa, Kane, Ibrahimovic, Giroud, Aguero, 

Fair points.

I actually work with a Liverpool fan (that goes to games) that doesn't rate him at all. A couple of months back i pulled up a youtube video of all his goals for Villa, and this bloke genuinely couldn't believe it, he said it was like watching a different player. 

Maybe Sherwood was right and he simply isn't suited to Liverpool, or maybe he just likes being the big fish in a small pond? His next move will probably supply the answers. 

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

think was a stat that he was 3rd behind Aguero and Suarez 

Even considering last season, the list since 2012 goes:

Aguero, Lukaku, Giroud, Suarez, Benteke.

On 7/31/2016 at 10:54, ml1dch said:

Even considering last season, the list since 2012 goes:

Aguero, Lukaku, Giroud, Suarez, Benteke.

I remember a stat at one point where only a couple of players in Europe had scored more goals than him in a calendar year. (He'd had injuries either side)

I'm guessing but it was something like Messi, Aguero and Benteke 3rd.

14 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I remember a stat at one point where only a couple of players in Europe had scored more goals than him in a calendar year. (He'd had injuries either side)

I'm guessing but it was something like Messi, Aguero and Benteke 3rd.

I think it was Messi and Ronaldo.

• Like 1

On 31 July 2016 at 13:14, av1 said:

Fair points.

I actually work with a Liverpool fan (that goes to games) that doesn't rate him at all. A couple of months back i pulled up a youtube video of all his goals for Villa, and this bloke genuinely couldn't believe it, he said it was like watching a different player. 

Maybe Sherwood was right and he simply isn't suited to Liverpool, or maybe he just likes being the big fish in a small pond? His next move will probably supply the answers. 

Everything went through him at villa, he was the catalyst.

At Liverpool Klopp wants movement from him and feels he isn't getting it.

I don't think he is the right fit for the scouse.

Benteke is a strange one. He can be a prolific menace but only if he has the right supply and the team basing themselves around him. If either of these two things are not in effect he will be completely useless as we have seen for both Liverpool and Belgium. He is not the type of striker who will come up with some magic and win you a game out of nothing. After 20 minutes of the a game you usually know what you're gonna get.

• Like 1

Everton being linked now...that would be a good move for him.

Liverpool fans have no affinity with him so wouldn't care if he crosses Stanley Park and obvious Lukaku replacement.

Can also play for a team who should be back challenging for europa league before too long.

Other option this morning is Sunderland.....

7 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Lukaku is a strange one. He can be a prolific menace but only if he has the right supply and the team basing themselves around him. If either of these two things are not in effect he will be completely useless as we have seen for both Everton and Belgium. He is not the type of striker who will come up with some magic and win you a game out of nothing. After 20 minutes of the a game you usually know what you're gonna get.

This is the Benteke thread mate. ;)

It's a funny one Lukaku going for 60m in next few weeks and really it's not much of a huge difference between the two at all. Both have their worldie games through the season, both need play right through them and if that happens both are bankers to score 15-20 during the season.

And if both start the game with the ball bobbling off their shins back into midfield...you get my point. Lukaku was shocking in that Wales game, how many sitters did he miss but he's a lock to score 20 prem goals season in season out.

Surprised Chelsea are going back in for him though.

25 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'm pretty sure he's done this countless times for us. Hell, we'd probably have never stayed up without his brilliance (and we went down our first season without him too).

Yeah he came up with spectacular goals in games he was playing well in, that was my point.

I'm saying i he's having a quiet game at HT, expect little to change second half. Did you see him play for Liverpool last season? He had absolutely no idea what he was doing when he wasnt the lynchpin.

37 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Yeah he came up with spectacular goals in games he was playing well in, that was my point.

I'm saying i he's having a quiet game at HT, expect little to change second half. Did you see him play for Liverpool last season? He had absolutely no idea what he was doing when he wasnt the lynchpin.

It could be a variety of different reasons why he looked lost at Liverpool, and kind of unfair not to mention baseless to say it was because he wasn't the lynchpin because Liverpool is the only other team we've seen him in where he wasn't. He barely had any game time, and the tactics clearly didn't suit him...I'd put those ahead of not being the main man for reasons why he didn't do well at Liverpool.

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I'm pretty sure he's done this countless times for us. Hell, we'd probably have never stayed up without his brilliance (and we went down our first season without him too).

We probably would have gone down without Darren Bent too......but I'm not sure what we are all saying.

We need a team, not individuals emulating scaffolding poles, holding up a derelict building.

Edited by TRO

Â