Christian Benteke

Kwan

On 3/23/2016 at 11:47, BOF said:

If rumours are to be believed (which we all know they absolutely are ...), then it's a choice between Juventus & West Ham.  Now on the face of it Juve are the obvious choice, and yet the sad reality of football and the Premier League is that West Ham could probably afford to pay him a higher wage and, who knows, maybe give Liverpool a larger transfer fee too.  It's one of the reasons I'm conflicted about West Ham finishing in the top 4.  On one hand it would probably hilariously deny Man Citeh the spot, but on the other, it gives a tinpot club delusions well above their station having been gifted a future-proofed stadium and consequently a transfer budget that they shouldn't have by rights.  Quite apart from who owns them and their troglodyte fans singing about blowing bubbles.

Wuck Fest Ham. 

• Like 2

Well, West Ham are challenging for the top 4. I struggle to think how he'd get into any of the current top 4's starting 11. His style just doesn't suit any of them. 

He'd be well advised to consider a move to Italy or Germany. He needs to be a team who play a more direct brand of football. The only 'big' English club I can think of where he might do well is Chelsea, OR United under a Mourinho style. 

I do think his limitations have been exposed badly this season. His hold up play isn't quite there and his one touch play is awful. There was a time where we'd all say he's better than his Belgian rival Lukaku but it's really a closed case now, Lukaku is far more versatile and dynamic, with a lot more pace. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Got no sympathy for him, he was always looking to move. End of the fist season he wanted out and he left at the end of his third. I think he was injured at the end of his second otherwise he'd have probably wanted out then as well.

He was a very good striker for us, but in no way a legend. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Xela said:

Got no sympathy for him, he was always looking to move. End of the fist season he wanted out and he left at the end of his third. I think he was injured at the end of his second otherwise he'd have probably wanted out then as well.

He was a very good striker for us, but in no way a legend. 

Yeah if he's scored a cup final winner he'd have been a legend for me.

Still he provided some of the best moments for us in the last 10 years so I wish him no ill and hope he can find a decent club where he can prosper as he has little future at Liverpool.

Not a legend but ability-wise he's probably the best player to play for Villa since the late 90s at the very least. I don't think we'll see anybody of his quality in a Villa shirt for a very long time.

• Like 1

He did have a few periods where he was pretty hopeless for us too, which get overlooked a bit.  He's probably just not quite good enough a player to build the rest of the team around if you're a club fighting for Europe, he needs to join a club where the system is already right for him to just slot right in.  It's not a surprise that it's not worked out at Liverpool.  He's still young though, I'd love to see him at a big club in Europe.

Yes he's a striker that when in form he's very very good but when he's not scoring he often doesn't contribute much and is a bit static. I compare that with Kane and Vardy who when not scoring they still contribute.

Edited by PaulC

3 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Barry, Laursen, Mellberg and on his day Carew are all better players than Benteke.

Upfront I'd have Benteke over Carew all day long, Carew had good runs of form and some unplayable games but you could never rely on him  to stay fit for a long period, probably the reason we could sign him. He also played in a far better all round team let's not forget.

How many would Benteke have scored with Young, Milner and Downing all crossing the ball for him?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Barry, Laursen, Mellberg and on his day Carew are all better players than Benteke.

Young and Milner as well for me

but in Benteke defence he never got to play with them and was playing with crap like Westwood and Bacuna for service

24 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Any idea what he was doing between September 2012-December 2013? ;)

the clown Lambert played such talent as Holman, Nzogbia and even Tonev made nearly as many appearances as him in one season

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Upfront I'd have Benteke over Carew all day long, Carew had good runs of form and some unplayable games but you could never rely on him  to stay fit for a long period, probably the reason we could sign him. He also played in a far better all round team let's not forget.

How many would Benteke have scored with Young, Milner and Downing all crossing the ball for him?

I don't think benteke would have been that good in that team, he was rubbish at attacking set pieces and always stood on the edge of the of for crosses, Carew was the opposite, I'd argue benteke was better with the ball at he's feet, but Carew was much better at reading play and making runs.

id have Carew over benteke, as good as benteke was he couldn't wait to leave, even for a move that has (as many said and warned) has stalled he's career

• Like 1

Â