Christian Benteke

Kwan

On 28/03/2016 at 11:04, lapal_fan said:

Barry, Laursen, Mellberg and on his day Carew are all better players than Benteke.

I can see your point with the first three (although I disagree but it's hard to compare) the idea that Carew was better than Benteke on his day is ludicrous. Carew was good don't get me wrong but his goal record wasn't anywhere near as good as Benteke's and that was in a much better team.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

So Gabby DID used to be good.

You see clips of him in that O'Neill team and it's actually astonishing how crap he is now in comparison.

• Like 2

I'd argue, for the most part, Benteke had the entire team set-up and game plan geared around maximising him, Carew didn't. And his current struggles at Liverpool show that it's not always as simple as better team = easier for striker to score more.

I don't think there's that much in it. Benteke definitely has more raw ability but also very hot and cold.

On 30/03/2016 at 13:44, penguin said:

I'd argue, for the most part, Benteke had the entire team set-up and game plan geared around maximising him, Carew didn't. And his current struggles at Liverpool show that it's not always as simple as better team = easier for striker to score more.

I don't think there's that much in it. Benteke definitely has more raw ability but also very hot and cold.

I agree.

When everything is geared towards getting the ball to one man, and hoping he does one bit of magic to win the game he is easier. Benteke, Bony two current examples.

When you have wingers in your team like Young, Downing and players like Petrov, Barry and Milner not afraid to bang one in from 30 yards it sort of negates your opportunies somewhat.

Would Carew had scored as many goals as Benteke and kept us up Lambert's first season, I very much doubt it!

Yes he would have, and he'd have been able to have had sex after 34 minutes by the corner flag.

So much swag.

Carew will be remembered more fondly in years to come because he genuinely loved the Villa. Benteke couldn't care less*

* I'm not saying every player should, but the ones who do (Mellberg, Laursen, Petrov, etc) are remembered with a great deal of fondness

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â