Ashley Young

maqroll

If he's second choice left back next year that is ridiculous.

Might be a great lad. Give him a new deal. Keep him on the bench. Bring him on now and again to see out comfortable games and reward him.

At no point should he ever be potentially starting PL football games anymore.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, useless said:

Retained/released list has to be published before this Saturday, so we will find out today or tomorrow if we've offered him a new contract or not.

Gerrard said he was offered a new contract. It's just down to Ash if he wants to sign it. Assume he's weighing up a couple of 2 year contract options vs our 1 year one on reduced wages. Plus he knows there will be less playing opportunities next season as we'll have 2 LBs and probably have KKH as understudy in RB

16 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

If he's second choice left back next year that is ridiculous.

Might be a great lad. Give him a new deal. Keep him on the bench. Bring him on now and again to see out comfortable games and reward him.

At no point should he ever be potentially starting PL football games anymore.

I imagine the plan is third choice LB and he'll becoming second choice LB if Digne picks up more injuries.

So behind the scenes can mentor whoever we sign as Digne's deputy as they'll surely be in early 20s and probably not used to playing infront of 40k fans every week.

15 hours ago, dounavilla said:

Perhaps I was expecting too much but I was hoping to see at least one of his "Ashley Young Mark 1" crosses. 

Don't think I can remember any ?

He a completely different player to Ash Young Mrk 1 2007-11. Players always get slower and play deeper but he is genuinely a proper defensive full back. I barely remember him doing a cross or shot the entire season. He should still have the technique if he gets into the right positions again. I thought he could have been a option on set pieces late in games but that isn't part of his game anymore either.

Cheers Ash, maybe see you back for a coaching role.

I really wanted him to score at least 1 goal this season for the 10 year + gap between goals for us.

Edit: Oh yeah, he did 'score' one didn't he 😭

Edited by Wainy316

I think there's a few mistakes with the list published on the Premier League site, a few players missing, Targett still on there. For the most part it will probably be correct, but I would wait and see what the official site says first, I wouldn't be surprised if turns out Young has been offered a contract.

Also the list published on the Premier League site was submitted before May 27th, the one we publish might have a few changes, like some of the players offered contracts might have signed them in the meantime for example

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I think there's a few mistakes with the list published on the Premier League site, a few players missing, Targett still on there. For the most part it will probably be correct, but I would wait and see what the official site says first, I wouldn't be surprised if turns out Young has been offered a contract.

Also the list published on the Premier League site was submitted before May 27th, the one we publish might have a few changes, like some of the players offered contracts might have signed them in the meantime for example

How do you know that was sent before may27th?

Because it's one of the rules that retained/released lists have to be sent to the Premier League four days after the last game of the season. For us and most teams I think that was the 27th, Forest and Liverpool had longer because their seasons finished later because of play-offs and European cup.

• Thanks 1

Â