Ashley Young

maqroll

Just now, briny_ear said:

Time to move this back to VillaTalk proper. It’s just like a new signing…

Presumably we also change the thread title to Ashley Young: ReRedux?

• Haha 1

Just now, choffer said:

Presumably we also change the thread title to Ashley Young: ReRedux?

Ashley Young: Redux part deux. Electric Boogaloo

• Haha 3

I thought he looked a liability more often than not when he came on last season. Pretty surprised we think he can still offer us something.

May well be a useful wisened head that could offer something to move towards a coaching role, but as our LB backup, I'd be a bit worried, and I swear to god I'm going to flip my desk if we ever bring him on to play in midfield again.

• Like 1

A big problem is that no one of any good is going to want to come in as an obvious number 2 to Digne. 

He may be as good as we can get, especially if you consider how good around the dressing room he is and the fact he is already settled.

2 minutes ago, Nigel said:

A big problem is that no one of any good is going to want to come in as an obvious number 2 to Digne. 

He may be as good as we can get, especially if you consider how good around the dressing room he is and the fact he is already settled.

We can't get a better back up than 37 year old? How about a 34 year old?

If we had signed another left back this summer I'd be fair enough with the new deal but if he's signed on and being promised minutes and the "first back up" spot that is scary.

Its not really a surprise, with the contract we gave Digne no player was coming into be 2nd fiddle as was no chance of actual competition for the left back spot

Young is probably the best we can attract at the moment

I'm pretty sure that we will still be signing another left-back, as has been speculated all summer by all the more reliable journalists, and that speculation came even though it was well known that Young was likely to stay, so not sure what's changed in that regard.

Digne and Cash will be first choice fullbacks next season, Kesler-Hayden likely to go on loan to the championship, so bringing in another left-back still makes sense as we're not going to go into the season with Young as the only back-up fullback.

Konsa and Chambers can also play there but they don't suit Gerrard's system at all, so we'd be in trouble if we found ourselves in a situation where they had to play fullback for any extended period of time.

Chrisene is still very young and missed pretty much all of last season, and his long-term position might not even be as a fullback anyway.

Was stupid moving him to other football when he hadn't left the club. It was an admin requirement to put him on leavers list as he'd not signed the new contract. He could simply have been on holiday and was going to sign new contract when he reported for training

There was no admin requirement to put him on the released list because he hadn't signed a contract.

Players that are out of contract but are being offered a new deal, usually go on the retained list, see Campton-Sturrdige in our squad, and many other examples at other clubs, Nketiah was out of contract at Arsenal but wasn't in the released list, he was in the retained list with 'contract offer' next to his name.

I suspect he was put in the released list because it wasn't 100 percent certain that he would be staying at the time, so clubs would have been alerted to the fact he could become available if a deal couldn't be a agreed with us, see also Eriksen at Brentford and Moutinho at Wolves, two other examples of players that were in the released list but their clubs were in talks to keep them.

Â