Ashley Westwood

Nabby

7 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

The alarming drop in performances from sub par to abysmal is nothing to do with Ashley getting a nice FIVE year contract then?

I am in no way defending his performances here- I am just saying that the level of criticism he gets just seems way over the top to me. Yet others who in my opinion have behaved poorly and quite frankly are no better at playing football - get welcomed back like a returning hero- sorry I just find this confusing?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bunnski said:

Ugh this thread is full of idiots, embarrassing to say the least. His first 2 seasons were good solid seasons and he looked like he had the potential to kick on but unfortunately hes gone backwards and has put in some shocking performances this season. The reasons for his decline imo are that he always made himself available and likely worked his socks off in training and gave his all for the club but this led to him being an ever present in our first 11 during the worst period ive witnessed as a supporter due to a shit owner who ruined the club, so because he cared while so many didnt he got mentally destroyed and his careee nose dived. I'll always respect him for how he applied himself and gave his all for my club but hes best off getting out of here now and trying to rebuild his career.

*awaits boring predictable replies...

I've said before, what's done it for Westwood is being good enough to not be actively sold like a lot of the other (considerably worse) midfielders we've had since he's been here, but never been good enough for anyone to really want to buy him.

I think we've got to the stage now where he's bad enough for the club to want to offload him, but basically he's become associated with the demise of the club purely for being consistently picked by our managers, which for some fans appears to have bred this irrational hatred for him.

I do find it quite bizarre how much people hate him, but I understand why people might place more blame on him for where we are than he necessarily deserves

Edited by Stevo985

11 hours ago, Zatman said:

this after they have all whipped him with their towels. Here is a photo of Gabby and Westwood

hqdefault.jpg

I know that's meant to be a towel, but it looks a bit Operation Yewtree. :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

I'll be one of those predictable replies

People like yourself used to call those that didn't rate Westwood idiots previously, but it was with phrases such as 'you don't understand football' or 'you don't understand his role' now the evidence has proved you and others wrong, you still refer to people as idiots. People have been so OTT with the defence of him that they've now seem to have no choice but to continue it, still insulting and mocking those that disagree. 

And the hilarious thing is, you and others see yourselves as the reasonable realistic ones. 

And his first 2 seasons were not "good solid seasons", they were as dismal as every other season he's been at the club. I remember the club PR laughably trying to talk Westwood up for an England cap in his first few months at the club, which left me scratching my head wondering if we were talking thinking about the same player. He was appalling from day one, and a sad indictment of the direction of where the club was heading. Some of us saw it from the off, others realised not long after, and some others walked through 5 or so years with claret and blue blinkers on lapping up the lies from the club while we in the midst of the most humiliating run ever. 

The problems at Villa were caused by a chairman who gave up, sold all our best players and replaced them with cheap lower league trash not fit to wear the claret and blue. Westwood falls into the latter category. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

People like yourself used to call those that didn't rate Westwood idiots previously, but it was with phrases such as 'you don't understand football' or 'you don't understand his role' now the evidence has proved you and others wrong, you still refer to people as idiots. People have been so OTT with the defence of him that they've now seem to have no choice but to continue it, still insulting and mocking those that disagree. 

And the hilarious thing is, you and others see yourselves as the reasonable realistic ones. 

again, this is all absolute bollocks but it's not really worth the debate, is it?

46 minutes ago, a m ole said:

again, this is all absolute bollocks but it's not really worth the debate, is it?

Don't worry, you'll get a response telling you how shit Westwood is with a comment about his "defenders".

Ok

here we go

Check out this Shit 11 responsible for the worst season in our history.

Guzan

Hutton Richards Lescott Richardson

Bacuna Westwood Sanchez Sinclair

Gaby Gestede

Now what a complete pile of Shite that is

Going by the theory "Westwood is good enough but is surrounded by shit"

put Ayew in that line up and notice what happens when you have a "good enough player who is surrounded by shit"?

he stands out

Has Westwood ever stood out as better than the shit around him?

or has he just slotted in amongst all the shit ticking over nicely?

6 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Right, so a few people might have said something like that - this means you have ammo to insult a player and get angry about it constantly?

Going a bit OTT there. I've had people tell me the same thing about Hutton, I'm not crying about it.

I bloody hate this thread. I only came here to vent about the semi final against Bradford 4 years ago. In those 4 years I have mostly avoided it. I hate it more than any other thread, more even than that annoying bit of thread that sticks out the leg of my pyjamas and tickles my leg when I get up for a wee in the night. It is like the bit under the bridge where the clippy cloppy goats don't really wanna go. It must hold the record for the most homer sinking into the hedge gifs. The thing is, it's never changed ever. Everyone else's thread seems to change mood or tone with each passing performance, each trick that delights or own goal that infuriates. This one just keeps plodding along getting angrier and angrier with each sentence. But it's the sort of thread where you can post a link to the funniest thing ever said about 'real men' and get no likes (no really it's ok), where Britains got Talent makes my eyes bleed LESS!! Where the same people come eveyday to have the same argument over and over and over again with the same people as yesterday. That's a definition of insanity right there. This thread is so weird @sir_gary_cahill isn't even the most positive person about a player in here. Where avatars mean more somehow than anywhere else even to James Cameron himself. It's just all too easy, as a wise fictional despotic madman once said, to get the result you want in here with a big pokey stick. Players get insulted everyday in threads up and down the land, why is Ashley Westwood so bloody important that his honour needs defending to the hilt. I don't get it. Goals, Assists, Key passes, good moments on the pitch and definitely no more corners, that's how to change people's opinions. If he's an honourable, decent, stand up, hard working honest player as he comes across he'll know he's been poor and his focus will be on improving but as others point out the bare minimum seems to be now used as a catalyst for praise with this entire collection of lost souls we dare to call a squad. It's insane. Variety is the spice of life people and life is too bloody short to go wandering around full of hate or anger. Meditate. Talk to a tree once in a while. And then find a way of channeling all that energy into a big ball of love to be played merrily with in the garden of your dreams. GT would knock all our bloody heads together. And then buy David Platt.

• Like 3