Ashley Westwood

Nabby

10 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I'm defensive of Westwood, I'll openly admit that. That doesn't mean I think he's amazing or can't be replaced etc but it's in my nature to defend anyone who is scapegoated. And he is constantly, in my mind there is no doubt about that. 

The hatred for him disgusts me if I'm honest. Whatever you think of his performances, his attitude and workrate is unquestionable. He's not ever had a bad interview, or got any dodgy press etc he's just done what SEVERAL managers have asked of him. There's no big conspiracy here; he's not forced all these managers to play him or not replace him with better midfielders, he's simply been the best of a bad bunch for a long time. I hoped he'd be replaced in the summer with better quality, but as of today he still hasn't been - I'd select him ahead of Jedinak and Gardner easily and Tshibola hasn't properly threatened him either.

I also question the idea that it's automatically his fault we are where we are, yes he's contributed to it but far far less than a lot of other players. He's offering a lot more than Grealish is at the moment too! Gabby, Bacuna, Veretout, Richards, Lescott, Guzan have all shown contempt for this club, McCormack has just done the same. RHM and Grealish have both not covered themselves in glory - yet people still aim their vitriol at Westwood because, what, he doesn't play fantastically all the time? He doesn't even have terrible games, he just has poor or average ones but he's never had a performance as bad as I've seen from the likes of Jedinak, Gardner, Sanchez or Veretout in recent years where ever second pass goes to the opposition.

Today he was great in the first half before bottling it like the rest of them in the second half. I'd like to replace him with better players, of course I would, but he's definitely not the worst player we've ever had, he's never 'let down the club' and it's not his sole responsibility we find ourselves where we are. When he goes, whatever level that may be, I'll wish him well even if our gamble of buying a League Two player for £2m wasn't the world beater we hoped he'd be.

Good post. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

So even though Westwood had a fairly decent game for Westwood today I still think he was a weak link.  Battled hard but lost pretty much every battle,  and when he did manage to get a foot in the ball would just roll to their player still.  

Would have rather seen Tish start with Henri. 

I mean, I'd like to see Tish starting too because I'd like him to improve. 

But Westwood's performance today was absolutely miles better than anything Tish has done in a villa shirt. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

But Westwood's performance today was absolutely miles better than anything Tish has done in a villa shirt. 

Absolutely not.  I've seen Tish perform to a better standard than that.

Westwood really wasn't that good today.  Not quite sure what you think he did that was so good?  HL showed Westwood how to be a CM today,  the contrast between the two was incredible.  

34 minutes ago, gharperr said:

this isnt how analytics work. jfc

you dont just go...Score 2 goals = good.... Then ignore rest. Same way people said pass X = bad. Touches from player X vs player Y = bad

fighting a losing battle with people who dont really know how stats work properly and how results orientated people are with it so im going to gg and save it for other parts. and wish you all the best. hope you guys use better stats in future than the shit youre using to fit naratives. Peace xx

Thanks for the insight. 

39 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I'm defensive of Westwood, I'll openly admit that. That doesn't mean I think he's amazing or can't be replaced etc but it's in my nature to defend anyone who is scapegoated. And he is constantly, in my mind there is no doubt about that. 

The hatred for him disgusts me if I'm honest. Whatever you think of his performances, his attitude and workrate is unquestionable. He's not ever had a bad interview, or got any dodgy press etc he's just done what SEVERAL managers have asked of him. There's no big conspiracy here; he's not forced all these managers to play him or not replace him with better midfielders, he's simply been the best of a bad bunch for a long time. I hoped he'd be replaced in the summer with better quality, but as of today he still hasn't been - I'd select him ahead of Jedinak and Gardner easily and Tshibola hasn't properly threatened him either.

I also question the idea that it's automatically his fault we are where we are, yes he's contributed to it but far far less than a lot of other players. He's offering a lot more than Grealish is at the moment too! Gabby, Bacuna, Veretout, Richards, Lescott, Guzan have all shown contempt for this club, McCormack has just done the same. RHM and Grealish have both not covered themselves in glory - yet people still aim their vitriol at Westwood because, what, he doesn't play fantastically all the time? He doesn't even have terrible games, he just has poor or average ones but he's never had a performance as bad as I've seen from the likes of Jedinak, Gardner, Sanchez or Veretout in recent years where ever second pass goes to the opposition.

Today he was great in the first half before bottling it like the rest of them in the second half. I'd like to replace him with better players, of course I would, but he's definitely not the worst player we've ever had, he's never 'let down the club' and it's not his sole responsibility we find ourselves where we are. When he goes, whatever level that may be, I'll wish him well even if our gamble of buying a League Two player for £2m wasn't the world beater we hoped he'd be.

Some good points. 

But he's definitely not a scapegoat. That's an easy word to throw out to defend a player whose performances can't be defended.

He's been consistently poor for the last 2/3 seasons and has declined at an alarming rate. 

On the whole the criticism over his play, especially this season, has been completely justified. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

Some good points. 

But he's definitely not a scapegoat. That's an easy word to throw out to defend a player whose performances can't be defended.

He's been consistently poor for the last 2/3 seasons and has declined at an alarming rate. 

On the whole the criticism over his play, especially this season, has been completely justified. 

It's been OTT for ages and he's certainly been scapegoated. Amazing to try and deny that. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's been OTT for ages and he's certainly been scapegoated. Amazing to try and deny that. 

It's been OTT at times but in general I disagree he's been made a scapegoat. He's been performing poorly for ages also. 

I have nothing against him personally. I'm sure he's a nice guy and just gets on with it etc. But he would need to turn in a seasons worth of prime Makelele-like performances for me to begin to consider changing my opinion of him. He is simply not good enough to play for Aston Villa.

• Like 2

I didnt see the game today

I just saw the result 2-2. So I didnt know who, what or why.

I was surprised that we were capable of scoring 2 goals.

But after reading a few reports and opinions on here I can safely say I'm p**** off to find out we were 2-0 up at home and draw 2-2.

F*** what a pile of shite.

So from everybodys heresay we played well the 1st half and Westwood did well

Great, fantastic.

But when it all went to shit, you just hope that someone stands up and is counted.

And thats the problem with Ashley F*******g Westwood.

A player with PL experience, a player with enough games to have well settled and improved . Someone who really shouldnt have an excuse for being shit, and should stand out amongst a pile of shit because many on here say he's only a scapegoat better than his critics say.

No no no

He is good when everybody around him is good sometimes, not all the time. But when everyone else goes to shit he tags along and is shit too.

Is that really, seriously enough?

No way, not in my book.

So if we are a shit team, then please, lets see someone else have a go at being shit.

Maybe then once he's left out he might just F**** **f of his own accord.

Then It wouldnt be so boring having a different scapegoat thats either on less money, a shorter contract or a chance at getting better.

This turd is only ever gonna smell the same as long as he's here.

3 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

Lock the thread after this post.  Well said, sir.  Best post by far of this young year.

4 hours ago, Phumfeinz said:

But he didn't score 2 tap-ins from corners. Your point sucks, whatever it is.

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Adomah is also a winger. 

I would usually expect a cm player to be making more passes than a winger. 

What a ridiculous post. 

it wasnt just me then that didnt understand what his point was

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Likely better than anything Tish has ever done in any shirt.

• Like 1

I like Westwood. In a time our club has seen so many passengers not prepared to put a shift in and collect their pay for as little as possible, he's been making a huge effort every match and by reports in training too. Sadly he's too timid and quiet to be what we need in the middle, and he lacks the technical ability to allow his football to do the talking. 

I would want to see him stay as a squad player, but Lansbury and Hourihane would be such an improvement on him it's difficult to justify him beyond that. 

Very likeable player, never let us down in terms of passion or attitude, but frankly not good enough to take us forward. 

I don't really get what's special about Ashley Westwood that warrants such strong defence of him, based on him being a decent guy and good professional. Is it just pity?

We've had poor players who were decent guys and good professionals previously and I don't remember any of them getting the level of defence thrown at Westwood. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't really get what's special about Ashley Westwood that warrants such strong defence of him, based on him being a decent guy and good professional. Is it just pity?

We've had poor players who were decent guys and good professionals previously and I don't remember any of them getting the level of defence thrown at Westwood. 

I would imagine it has something to do with the oftentimes unwarranted level of criticism thrown at him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I would imagine it has something to do with the oftentimes unwarranted level of criticism thrown at him.

But yesterday he played well, people said he played well, no one really criticised him and then we still had huge posts defending him and previous performances. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 2