Ashley Westwood

Nabby

And Delph and Albrighton today.

I believe Delph was rest. Albrighton and Given are good examples. Still can't get over how shit Delph and KEA were together and how many times in a row he ran them out there.

Point is I came into the year thinking Lambert was that kind of manager. Maybe he is and we just do not have options in midfield. Time will tell.

For me he should start next game, yes it's against United but I'd rather see him in there as opposed to Delph.

I think he'll be better and more effective and he doesn't look like a yellow card all the time just waiting to happen.

For me we should look to ship off Delph in Jan to some championship club (about his level)

But as it stands for me Westwood offers more than Delph and looks like he can play at this level and doesn't look awkward like Delph does all the time.

And Given

And Albrighton. And Holman. Neither of them played today and before someone says, they didn't play against Swindon either.

Westwood was genuinely brilliant I thought. Saw a Newcastle fan reviewing the game saying Westwood showed Cattermole how to effectively break up play and set the tempo.

Westwood was really promising yesterday. If he's been playing well for the reserves and training well then he definitely deserves a run in the side.

What impressed me about the central midfield yesterday was composure. We lost it between minutes 45-60, as we have done every single game for 2 years. But they would pass their way out of trouble, if nothing was on they would keep it without taking risks. Westwood and Bannan were both excellent defensively as well. You would expect them to be overpowered against a physical team like Sunderland but they weren't.

It makes me optimistic for the future. Gardner struggled like everyone else under McLeish, but for Lambert I can see him becoming a big player too IF we can ever get him fit. 1 more experienced option who can break up play, plus El-Ahmadi, would give us a good set of midfield options and it would give us consistency in style too. These aren't players who will lump it under pressure. They are proper footballers.

Westwood benefitted from having Ireland alongside him. I've been saying for weeks that a midfield of newcomers and under-23s is full of desire and work rate, but lacks composure and someone who can organise the midfield. Whilst Ireland didn't have an amazing game yesterday, I felt he was a calming influence on the midfield and Westwood is a prime example of that.

There'll be good games and bad games from him, that is the nature of the thing with players like this, they need to develop consistency.

Yesterday was a good game

Spot on Richard. I think a lot of us are guilty of expecting new players to hit the ground running and being too quick to judge at times and I'd include myself in that.

He looked very good v Sunderland and I hope and expect he'll start the next game against United. As others have said, it's important to stick with him, he clearly has potential to be a big player here from what we've seen so far, but it's gonna be a long process. Like most of our side really, it;s exciting to think how some of them (Westwood/Benteke mainly) progress over time.

Of all the signings we made over the summer this guy was actually probably the one I was most interested in seeing play.

I really like the idea of a composed ball playing central midfield and I really hope Westwood can make the step up to be that type of player in the premier league.

Some positive signs yesterday, I hope he can develop as a player here.