Ashley Westwood

Nabby

Very impressed with him the last two games. I think the Westwood Bannan Ireland midfield is the way forward with our team.

yeah for sure. there are some saying that bannan shouldn't be playing, but based on the way they're gelling together i think if you remove him from it you'll find the whole thing fails to work. we need those 3 in the centre, and im sure if we can keep them fit and playing together we'll start putting in some real performances very soon

Carrick and Scholes were quiet today for me, which must be down to Westwood and Bannan mainly. To keep them 2 quiet, you are doing something very good indeed. Another tough couple of games ahead, but these should school them further, and make playing the like of Reading, Norwich, etc seems easier, and let them dominate the midfield in those games.

Bannan could learn a thing or two from Westwood..

"I just try to keep the play moving. It's no good hitting ambitious passes if they get cut out and the opposition break. That's no help to anyone.

Ashley Westwood says manager Paul Lambert has handed him a simple midfield message: "Gimme Five!"

Westwood is concentrating on keeping things simple in the central ground after advice from boss Lambert.

Westwood impressed against both Sunderland and Manchester United with his precision passes.

He puts this down to the words of wisdom of the gaffer, who encouraged him to focus on his strengths ahead of his first team debut at the Stadium of Light.

Those, of course, are keeping things ticking and protecting the ball before giving it neatly to the more attack-minded stars like Stephen Ireland, Christian Benteke, Andi Weimann and Gabby Agbonlahor.

He said: "The gaffer told me the hardest pass is over five yards and that's something which has stuck in my head. I remembered it as I went out against Sunderland.

"I just try to keep the play moving. It's no good hitting ambitious passes if they get cut out and the opposition break. That's no help to anyone.

"I just try to keep it nice and simple - and let the other lads do the work!"

Westwood, of course, has had to be patient since arriving from Gresty Road on transfer deadline day.

He had to settle for two substitute appearances before his first full game against Sunderland and then against Manchester United.

But he was always confident he could make a big impact when handed an opportunity.

He added: "I have faith in my own ability. I've been brought up in the right way at Crewe and I think that's starting to show here at Villa."

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2979544,00.html

Westwood could actually turn out to be Lambert's best signing. Very much in the mould of Joe Allen at Liverpool and at a fraction of the price. In my opinion a much better signing than KEA and and will go on and become an international player for some time. Excellent young player with a great attitude and if he keeps up the rate of improvement, we should reward that with a much better long term contract with no clauses, as the top 4 vultures might be swarming all over him next season.