Ashley Westwood

Nabby

I'd a tad nervy if Ireland is going to be out for an extended period about who is going to pull the strings in our midfield?

To be honest, I didn't see a lot from Westwood to show he could do Ireland's job in midfield (although I have heard he is more of a defensive midfielder). To think he got a good beating from Southampton players, what are United going to do to him :/

Can only hope for the best really - but hope he steps up to the plate.

Still got high hopes for this lad. Remember Ashley Young's very indifferent start? (Although he did score on his debut).

Petrov be best example of a player with a slow start. great debut but faded until 2008

• Like 1

Still got high hopes for this lad. Remember Ashley Young's very indifferent start? (Although he did score on his debut).

Petrov be best example of a player with a slow start. great debut but faded until 2008

I hope he gets up to speed quicker than Petrov did!

It'll take a while to get up to speed, the game past him by, I think he really was caught with his pants down for the third goal (or was that Holman tracking the runner? I forget now).

The bottom line is though, the entire team was dreadful on Saturday, and the likes of Westwood need to be given time. I think this forum is home to a lot of people with bi-polar disorder. One win and we're flying up the table, one loss and we're going down seems to be the logic.

I think this season needs to be about stablisation, we need to just stay in the league and give Lambert and the players the time and space to develop. Having expectations beyond around the 15th place mark seems to be a tad unrealistic right now.

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely agree. However I will also say that given our position as a club and what has happened in the last two years a lot of people are, understandably, nervous and want to see a turn around immediately and good performances from our players straight away. Like I said I understand that, but simply ain't going to happen. We have the players for a long term job not a short term one

This is where in my humble opinion Lambert has got it badly wrong.

I would assume the main remit for any Premiership manager outside the top six this season in particular is to try and make sure their club isn't relegated! Taking into consideration where we have been in the table the past two seasons should we have purchased players from the lower leagues and expected them to hit the ground running in the Premiership when there were better players available such as Diame for example?

I'm not saying that our club doesn't need revolutionized, but would it not have been better this season to spent the majority of our budget on the DM, winger and number 10 we so badly needed rather than gambling on players who may or may not have hit the ground running with us. Stabilize the club first this season and then look at bringing those lower league players or those players with no Premiership experience in January to boost squad numbers.

Buying players for the long term is fine if you are going to blood them into a settled team at the right time. Bringing 5-6 into a Premiership team which has struggled for two seasons against relegation is a recipe for inconsistency leading to confidence levels dropping if results continue to be poor and thats what is happening at the moment.

Trouble is you have to take the plunge at some point for the long term players or you'll never do it!

Buy those two or three you mentioned (and by the way I think we needed 8 players this summer so two or three would have left us short) and IMO we would still struggle, besides which we would never then get the young up and coming ones or get them to work together in a team as you would always be doing the short termism you refer to. No guarantees either that the players he got this summer would be available, other teams might be sniffing

I think he had to take this action and he had to do it when he did

Trouble is you have to take the plunge at some point for the long term players or you'll never do it!

Buy those two or three you mentioned (and by the way I think we needed 8 players this summer so two or three would have left us short) and IMO we would still struggle, besides which we would never then get the young up and coming ones or get them to work together in a team as you would always be doing the short termism you refer to. No guarantees either that the players he got this summer would be available, other teams might be sniffing

I think he had to take this action and he had to do it when he did

You might refer it to 'short termism.' I actually refer to it as building stability within a team which has struggled for two seasons now due to not having the right quality in the right positions for our team to be effective offensively and defensively. By then introducing lower league and inexperience into that equation could only add more indecision within the team and the squad as a whole and thats what we're getting at the moment.

Its actually a question of balance. We already had young players trying to find their feet in the first team such as Bannan, Weimann, Delph, Herd and so on and for me it was time to supplement those players with battle hardened Premiership quality rather than lower league and Premiership inexperienced players.

Diame was on a free and the others i have mentioned would have cost our budget but i do believe the majority would have been less concerned about our Premiership safety and my worry is that, if, our results continue to slide, will the confidence of the fans and players slide with it?

You might refer it to 'short termism.' I actually refer to it as building stability within a team which has struggled for two seasons now due to not having the right quality in the right positions for our team to be effective offensively and defensively. By then introducing lower league and inexperience into that equation could only add more indecision within the team and the squad as a whole and thats what we're getting at the moment.

Its actually a question of balance. We already had young players trying to find their feet in the first team such as Bannan, Weimann, Delph, Herd and so on and for me it was time to supplement those players with battle hardened Premiership quality rather than lower league and Premiership inexperienced players.

Diame was on a free and the others i have mentioned would have cost our budget but i do believe the majority would have been less concerned about our Premiership safety and my worry is that, if, our results continue to slide, will the confidence of the fans and players slide with it?

looks like you have no confidence already to me. there would have been zero value in going for established prem players, we tried that or have you forgotten? in order to attract them to villa you have to pay over the odds wages, especially now we aren't pushing for european places etc. give PL and his new signings some time to actually play a bit. westwood has palyed 45 mins or so ffs!