Ashley Westwood

Nabby

...and he's not McLeish!

Haha, this weekend I brought a mate to Newcastle who is not that much into football, and gave him a few tips if any other Villans tried to have football chat with him. The two pieces of advice if he got caught out were to say either, "Well, the important thing for the squad is to get the supply line to Darren Bent going and get some width from the fullbacks in attack" or ".....well, at least McLeish is gone..." The second one always works a treat

:)

And there's always "Did you see that ludicrous display the other night".

Or "the problem with Arsenal is they always try to walk the ball in to the net".

...and he's not McLeish!

Haha, this weekend I brought a mate to Newcastle who is not that much into football, and gave him a few tips if any other Villans tried to have football chat with him. The two pieces of advice if he got caught out were to say either, "Well, the important thing for the squad is to get the supply line to Darren Bent going and get some width from the fullbacks in attack" or ".....well, at least McLeish is gone..." The second one always works a treat

:)

And there's always "Did you see that ludicrous display the other night".

Or "the problem with Arsenal is they always try to walk the ball in to the net".

:D "That's the Villa for you though isn't it?" is one I hear around the ground a lot, whatever's happened, so that could be useful.

I was following Matt Kendrick's and official updates on Twitter and he seemed very involved. Most of the updates involved him in some way, which is good. Sounds like he's always wanting to get on the ball and look to pass people in.

Or it might have just been that they wanted to focus the updates on him. Interested to see what people who watched the game thought.

I thought he did well.He got the ball,kept it simple and passed to a claret n blue shirt(very carrick-esque)

I think his own description of the type of player he is seems true. The good thing is he seems to want to back it up.

He said when he signed he saw himself as a Michael Carrick type player. Sounds like he really is, and thats great news. We need the sort of player who can keep things simple, calm down the play and pick out nice passes at key times.

Barry Bannan is an excellent passer of the ball, but I don't think he's particularly good at the simpler things. Sometimes we need someone to sit in the midfield and play simple balls, slow down the pace of the game if the momentum is with the opposition, and just stay composed. Too many of our players are always looking to be too direct, too keen to play the killer ball all the time. What Carrick always did well was be able to decide the tempo of the game and calm the team down, but when the time was right he had a good enough range of passing to be able to play the right ball or take a shot at goal.

If Westwood is anything like Carrick was in his prime then I'm genuinely excited for his prospects here.

Bannan's problem for me has always been his play when not in possession. I'm looking forward to seeing Westwood and how he can control a midfield. If he really is a Carrick type, then he'll have to be able to control it very well.

Crewe manager Steve Davis on Westwood's transfer to Villa:

"Clubs had monitored Ash for a long period of time. Villa came in, we thought Villa was a bit of a surprise. But then we found out that they had a thirty game dossier on him so they've done their homework; they knew what they were getting. But nobody else did, so fair play to them; they came in late with all their money and what a fantastic opportunity for him."

Wikipedia

Interesting. I assume PL started this dossier while at Norwich.

Good scouting.