Jordan Bowery

FamousHolteUnion

well looks like he won't be loaned out until Benteke is back.

I have not seen anything from him to suggest he coudl make it as a Premier Legue striker. To be fair though he has not had much of a chance. A loan would be a good option for him to show he has improved since joining Villa.

Edited by Villastine

This is the one signing that baffled me at the time and still does. His stats at the time of buying were not great, and I have seen nothing yet to suggest that he is good enough for the Premiership. Do not want to be unfair on him as he puts in plenty of effort and hopefully he might be able to forge a decent career in the lower divisions.

although im sure most of us appreciate the purchasing and developing of young players, the flip of the coin is when buying young players, were hindering the progression of our own, maybe ours arent good enough? but even still, this is still a strange buy, whether he came good or not, when at the time, we have drennan and burke waiting in the wings

as for drennan, im intereted in seeing him play, a left footer i believe?

When he came on yesterday I was a bit baffled..

He seems to have decent control to be fair to the guy, but he's not very quick, looks a little bit clumsy with the ball at his feet and isn't positionally very good..

Which, unfortunately means... He's ineffective imo.

He'd do alright in the championship I think, but you could get worse squad players.. 

I don't know really, it's a really weird one isn't it?

I wonder what Lambert was hoping for when he signed him?

I suppose the only good thing is, is that we'll probably make a profit on him, seeing as he's now played in the premiership and done okay.  He did pretty well against Stoke last year to get an assist :)

He's definitely quick, just not when the ball is anywhere near him (he is tripping over it) and he hasn't got much in the way of speed of thought.

Not hurting anyone particularly, he was cheap, gets paid peanuts and has some league know how. When he plays it is to do a job, work hard, provide some pace and get up and down. There is nobody from below who can and will do that, only perhaps Albrighton who has been injured. Grealish, Graham etc aren't going to come into the side and perform a discliplined roll in the same way, although both are considerably better players.

Edited by AndyClarke

....Not up to the standard.

Don't know all the facts, but when a club lets Sturridge go from the academy and then go on in future years to sign Bowery...it starts to ask a few questions with regards to talent spotting.

Ps but still agree with us trying to sign young hungry players.

Edited by TRO

Don't know all the facts, but when a club lets Sturridge go from the academy and then go on in future years to sign Bowery...it starts to ask a few questions with regards to talent spotting.

TRO I am not sure that point regarding Sturridge is really fair is it. The game is littered with instances of players being let go and then making it big elsewhere. The one that always springs to mind for me is Platt who Man Utd let go and he went on to have a very successful career.

As for Bowery for the 350k we paid it was worth a gamble I guess and he may still come good. I think when money is tight, as it unfortuantely is, you have to hope that you can shop in the bargain basements/lower league and to unearth the odd gem. Lowton was 900k and looks a good buy, Westwood under 2 mill and likewise looks a good buy. If for 350k, and I'd imagine around 5k a week, Bowery turns out to not work out then so be it.

TRO I am not sure that point regarding Sturridge is really fair is it. The game is littered with instances of players being let go and then making it big elsewhere. The one that always springs to mind for me is Platt who Man Utd let go and he went on to have a very successful career.

As for Bowery for the 350k we paid it was worth a gamble I guess and he may still come good. I think when money is tight, as it unfortuantely is, you have to hope that you can shop in the bargain basements/lower league and to unearth the odd gem. Lowton was 900k and looks a good buy, Westwood under 2 mill and likewise looks a good buy. If for 350k, and I'd imagine around 5k a week, Bowery turns out to not work out then so be it.

Fair point, mark

Lowton was 3 million, but even at that price I think we saw enough last season to suggest he should prove a good buy.

Â