Jordan Bowery

FamousHolteUnion

We obviously don't know how good he is going to become, thus making the signing impossible to judge just yet. However, when he was fielded last year he never gave the team anything that others couldn't. Often I think it was naive to let him play, especially in front of Darren Bent which was a typical Lambert-decision. I have more faith in Lambert than I had before, his approach in the market is rather interesting and could yield top-10 success eventually, but I also fear his stubbornness/arrogance is going to become his eventual demise at AVFC. Like so many, many managers before him we always believe they are here for the long-haul but three years later they are always gone.

As for Bowery, I think a loan is in order next season as he is obviously not a finished product and not yet good enough for the Premier League. One thing is actually not screwing up whilst getting minutes for us, but another is making a difference, developing and being there on merit. He is young and needs to learn the trade somewhere else, then come back and compete in a season or two. But hey, he might develop into a first-teamer during the summer and Lambert might think he is ready for more action. However, if we somehow end up with Bowery instead of Bent as an option next season it goes without saying that we are worse off than before.

I'm amazed so many are getting worked about this player who was a reserve last year and will remain so this season. It's hardly like we're going to sell Benteke and Weimann, sign no-one and promote Bowery as our new central striker.

From memory he started 3 league games last season, West Ham, Stoke and Fulham. West Ham was just because a) Gabby was out injured and B) Lambert wanted a physical presence out wide to help defending set pieces. He gave 6/10 performance that game.

Next start was out of the blue against Stoke but look another physical team so clearly these are the games Lambert trusts Bowery to start in and I actually thought he played well, could've scored and again did the job asked of him. 7/10

So his performance in that game meant he kept his place for the Fulham game. I thought at the time that was an error and he did struggle in that game but Gabby was injured.

He was a punt for what 500k and 10k in wages. A punt 5 years ago was Marlon Harewood for 3.5m and 30k a week.

• Like 1

Still baffled about this player. Why didn't we promote one of our youth players instead?

Well we had a similar player in the Fonz who was garbage against Everton when he started ahead of Weimann. Lambert hooked him at half time, loaned him out for the season and clearly felt there was a need for someone who could fill a few positions upfront if we had a massive injury crisis so Bowery was signed for peanuts.

• Like 1

We obviously don't know how good he is going to become, thus making the signing impossible to judge just yet. However, when he was fielded last year he never gave the team anything that others couldn't. Often I think it was naive to let him play, especially in front of Darren Bent which was a typical Lambert-decision. I have more faith in Lambert than I had before, his approach in the market is rather interesting and could yield top-10 success eventually, but I also fear his stubbornness/arrogance is going to become his eventual demise at AVFC. Like so many, many managers before him we always believe they are here for the long-haul but three years later they are always gone.

As for Bowery, I think a loan is in order next season as he is obviously not a finished product and not yet good enough for the Premier League. One thing is actually not screwing up whilst getting minutes for us, but another is making a difference, developing and being there on merit. He is young and needs to learn the trade somewhere else, then come back and compete in a season or two. But hey, he might develop into a first-teamer during the summer and Lambert might think he is ready for more action. However, if we somehow end up with Bowery instead of Bent as an option next season it goes without saying that we are worse off than before.

He offered height and a more physical presence, which was obvious from the games he played. His strength, effort and determination created the first goal at stoke, something you wouldn't get from bent. He also had some great chances at stoke and in the cup game.

He cost next to nothing and as stated numerous times is one for the future.

I don't see the big deal and the need to write him off. It's usually the case with a selection of prehistoric fans that want Brazilian names and big spending. He is part of the clubs future and long may the scouting of these players continue.

some people being way over the top criticising him. at stoke he played a role in giving us some more height and physical presence, it was a good move by PL in the end. I don't think wide right is his best position either to be fair but he was asked to do a job and he did it. i don't think anyone is claiming he's going to be world class (Con?) but at least give him the chance to turn out to be shit before calling him a failure.

Bowery is a tryer, a lower league player given a dream opportunity to play for the club he supports, his never going to be a Roy of the rovers 20 goal a season gem plucked from obscurity, he will however be a 6/10 every game, his work rate, effort, and most import his tenacity will see him become a fan favorite, like tommy Johnson was.

I was quite disappointed when we signed him but his game v stoke really won me over. Quite like this lad.

• Like 1

I've said before that Lambert was given an opportunity by Hitzfeld, when his career had hit a crossroads at Motherwell.

As a manager I'm sure he's delighted to be able to offer an opportunity to players like Lowton, Westwood and Bowery with the only expectation that they grasp the opportunity in a similar fashion. In return the coaches will invest their time to improve the players week by week.

He hasn't just plucked him out of thin air, he's obviously seen something in the lad and I'm sure he'll be given all the time he needs to develop his skills for the Villa.

Completely out of his depth and will never make it in the PL. Ridiculous signing for a club the size of Aston Villa.

Very much agree.

I think he's like a little side project that Lambert has taken a personal interest in. Almost to prove a point that he can pluck a player from real obscurity and transform them into a PL player. Can't see it happening especially by Playing him out of position.

Completely out of his depth and will never make it in the PL. Ridiculous signing for a club the size of Aston Villa.

Very much agree.

I think he's like a little side project that Lambert has taken a personal interest in. Almost to prove a point that he can pluck a player from real obscurity and transform them into a PL player. Can't see it happening especially by Playing him out of position.

Wasn't there a family connection? Lambert was friends/related to his family/agent? Someone else might be able to remember the story.

Seen him play with my brother in his debut for the u21's, Looked dangerous and was in the right positions. Stood out in that but just didn't finish the chances he had given to him. Not sure that he's prem quality IMO. Also ^^ If he gives 6/10 performances i suppose that's fair enough but if we had every player in our squad giving 6/10 perfomances in the best league in the world we would be relegated no doubt about it...

Edited by kevangrealish

In fairness, if you sign 5 players for loose change from League 2, and just one of them turns out to be as good as Westwood, then it's been a good exercise. This is the game you play when you take a punt on a young player, it won't always come off. Besides, Bowery has hardly shamed himself.

In fairness, if you sign 5 players for loose change from League 2, and just one of them turns out to be as good as Westwood, then it's been a good exercise.

You know, people on football forums love to accuse other posters of living in Football Manager land, but that is EXACTLY how to become rich and successful quickly in FM. Lambo must've been playing one day when it hit him: "I've gone from the Conference all the way to winning the European Champions' Cup seven years in a row with little more than a hodge-podge 132 African and Eastern European teenagers and Ethan Moore. This... can work."

Â