Jordan Bowery

FamousHolteUnion

What a bunch of f'in whingers you lot are. He's had a handful of games and looks to me to give 100% every time he appears. Some here branded Benteke the new Balaban, so if Bowery is the new Heskey that will do for me - If PL sees something there that's good enough for me

Ha, ha. I guess thats directed at me and while i was terribly wrong on my original judgement on Benteke as were several other posters who have mysteriously disappeared, based on performances so far do you really think Bowery is another Benteke?

Lambert who you place so much faith in doesn't seem to think so as he has just forked out 8m on two forwards after Bowery was signed.

Nevertheless i do agree that while Bowery in his limited appearances hasn't really looked like the type of quality to push us forward he has always given 100% which can't be said of other Villa players in the past. 

Edited by Morpheus

Wonder what he's worth now he's got PL experience ? £1m ?

He is only worth what someone is actually willing to pay for him.

I suspect that the teams who would want him (League 1 and 2) could not afford £1m whilst teams that could would be looking for someone with a better record.

He should go out on loan and get an extended run so he can show that he could cut it in a lower league.

What a bunch of f'in whingers you lot are. He's had a handful of games and looks to me to give 100% every time he appears. Some here branded Benteke the new Balaban, so if Bowery is the new Heskey that will do for me - If PL sees something there that's good enough for me

Ha, ha. I guess thats directed at me and while i was terribly wrong on my original judgement on Benteke as were several other posters who have mysteriously disappeared, based on performances so far do you really think Bowery is another Benteke?

Lambert who you place so much faith in doesn't seem to think so as he has just forked out 8m on two forwards after Bowery was signed.

Nevertheless i do agree that while Bowery in his limited appearances hasn't really looked like the type of quality to push us forward he has always given 100% which can't be said of other Villa players in the past. 

How many times does Lambert / Fans or anybody that bothered to pay attention when he signed need to keep saying he is one for the future? Shall I cut and paste it over and over??

It really can't be that hard to grasp.

That raises the point LondonLax that if we're going to loan him out to prove that he can cut it in the lower leagues why purchase the player in the first place.

I'm guessing he was a cheap punt. Didn't affect our transfer budget much but could have been a real boost if he'd made the step up.

How many times does Lambert / Fans or anybody that bothered to pay attention when he signed need to keep saying he is one for the future? Shall I cut and paste it over and over??

Everyone realises the reasons why he was purchased but we already had Fonz at the club who has shown to be no worse than Bowery and then we purchased Helenius who is another player not deemed ready for the first team when we're working on a very limited budget.

We then spent 4m-7m depending on reports on yet another forward who was purchased to play in the same way that Benteke does yet he doesn't have the same attributes as Benteke (which was the main criticism of Bent) when we were crying out for a creative midfielder to fit our system.

This is why there is a certain amount of head scratching going on and why its fair to comment on the allocation of limited funding.  

Everyone realises the reasons why he was purchased but we already had Fonz at the club who has shown to be no worse than Bowery and then we purchased Helenius who is another player not deemed ready for the first team when we're working on a very limited budget.

We then spent 4m-7m depending on reports on yet another forward who was purchased to play in the same way that Benteke does yet he doesn't have the same attributes as Benteke (which was the main criticism of Bent) when we were crying out for a creative midfielder to fit our system.

This is why there is a certain amount of head scratching going on and why its fair to comment on the allocation of limited funding.  

The Fonz has had more chance than I care to remember and has hardly dazzled in the Championship. I don't think Helelnius is deemed not ready, think he missed the past few weeks through illness according to his agent, and 7 games into the season is too early to write him off, yet I've been impressed from the glimpses I've seen of him, he can also play out wide and behind the main striker, so with the limited budget in mind I can see why he was brought in.

Kozak wasn't a like for like for Benteke they are very different players, and considering we have lost Benteke and he has come in scored 1 and we've won 2 and drawn 1 then that seems like money well spent to me.

Creative midfielder I am totally with you on that, and just think the ones he wanted were out of our range (belhanda scoring a hatrick on the wknd - what could have been?)

However all this a side I don't see what any of it has to do with Bowery - who cost like £300 grand? For a kid who had no experience in the prem or championship I think he has done ok - stoke away last season, I think he was unlucky not to get a few goals, and did well to create the chance fo gabby. I've seen enough to be happy we have young projects like him within the squad - I really dont get the negatvitiy.

• Like 3

He scored 8 goals in 80 odd league 2 games. I'm no football manager but I find it truly bizarre that he gets regular Premier League games for us. Yet Fonz can't get a look in nor Burke who I'd rather see developed than Bowery . No offence to the guy but it just seems so pointless.

I'm not surprised to see Morpheus liking this. Lol. How has he ever had "regular premier league games"!!!!??? He clearly hasn't. And yet, any time—every single time—I have seen Bowery come on or start I can see he is doing a job/role for the team that the players you compare him to are incapable of. It's so obvious that Lambert uses his ability (limited or whatever) to fill a hole in the team when injuries dictate we need him. Bowery has been effective enough without every being startling. He's had a few good games to be fair. Burke is a total unknown prospect. He's small and is a totally different player to Bowery. 

This website is full of silliness. 

Tell me 'praisedmambo' in your enlightened opinion do you feel that Bowery has been purchased as a wide player, utility player or to play in his normal position as a striker?  

My opinion is he's a utility player 100%. He was bought for barely anything and he is performing a role in the squad—to fill in when it is needed. That is clearly what he's being used for. We've got good results in most of his appearances—sub appearances or otherwise—who's to say that if we'd brought on a less solid player (I say solid as in he's strong, can hold the ball etc) then we might have lost/drawn games when we were winning. We threw so many games away with too many young players in the team over the last few years, at least Bowery has some experience. I don't see Bowery as a young prospect AT ALL. I think it's silly comparing him to Grealish or Burke as I don't think their roles in the squad are nearly comparable. Bowery in his way is capable of playing now. This might always be the level we see him play: I think Lambert knows that and I don't think he'll be around the club for that long. 

For me this is part of the Rome wasn't built in a day scenario. Building a club and squad clearly takes time. During that time there will be a few players who are going to have minor roles. Bowery will probably be one of them. He's doing well enough so far anyway. 

EDIT: And I don't see the problem with this at all. 

EDIT 2: Morpheus it's like you can't help having a bitch and a moan. You're boring. 

Edited by praisedmambo

dont get the problem with Bowery he isnt Benteke or Agbonlahor but I dont think he has ever let Villa down when he plays. If holding on for a result id rather throw Bowery on than Bent.

FWIW the last few league games I remember him playing we havent lost West Ham, Stoke, City and Hull. maybe he is a good luck charm :)

I think Lambert uses him to come on and help close out a game, and for that he is a very good option to have on the bench.

That was fine against Man City but not at Hull unless we were happy to settle for a point.

I think Lambert uses him to come on and help close out a game, and for that he is a very good option to have on the bench.

I see what you're saying, and kind of agree.

But then I'm left thinking: what does he really do to close out a game? And why send out an attacker to close out a game?

Yeah surely he'd have put Sylla on if he wanted to close out the game on Sat?

Yes bringing a forward on to close out a game is a new one to me. I thought strikers were brought on to score goals! Bowery would be fine at Walsall.

dont get the problem with Bowery he isnt Benteke or Agbonlahor but I dont think he has ever let Villa down when he plays. If holding on for a result id rather throw Bowery on than Bent.

FWIW the last few league games I remember him playing we havent lost West Ham, Stoke, City and Hull. maybe he is a good luck charm :)

Spot on.

The idea that you need an extra defender or midfielder to close a game just means you're going to bring more pressure on yourself. You need to be winning battles further up the field - like Bowery did against City - and you close out the game in their half.

Edited by kurtsimonw
  • Like 3

Yes bringing a forward on to close out a game is a new one to me. I thought strikers were brought on to score goals! Bowery would be fine at Walsall.

Really?? It's not a new thing, you get the ball up top to a big strong player that can hold the ball up - been around a long time to be honest.

• Like 3

Stop thinking of him as a striker. he's a battering ram, that's all

Â