Jordan Bowery

FamousHolteUnion

No, who said that? You said 'If most of his signings really were all up to scratch i doubt we'd have performed so poorly in so many areas.', which implies that the new players are mostly to blame.

No it doesn't. It implies that if most of his signings were up to scratch we'd be better off in many areas.

>It isn't just based on 'performs well = good signing. performs bad = bad signing'.

So players who play well aren't good signings? Players who play badly aren't bad signings? Interesting view to have.

So Hutton wasn't a bad signing then? He played shit. Benteke isn't a good signing then? He's playing well.

I hate the black and white world you live in.

Hahaha

Love posts like this. Right up there with the classic "you can't see the bigger picture"

There's a surprise! roughly translated...I have no answer to that.

So players who play well aren't good signings? Players who play badly aren't bad signings? Interesting view to have.

So Hutton wasn't a bad signing then? He played shit. Benteke isn't a good signing then? He's playing well.

If you sign a player for £30 million and he plays alright, then he's a poor signing.

If you buy a player for 100k and he plays alright, he's a considerably better signing.

Of course ability and performance are major factors in the quality of a signing. But to say value, age, potential etc etc doesn't come into it is just plain wrong.

Bowery, as others have said, was a relatively risk free signing. he didn't cost much in both fees and wages. So I don' think you can say he's been a bad signing. I'm not saying he's been a GOOD signing either, fwiw. 

Now if he'd cost us 10 million and 40k a week, then he absolutely would be a bad signing.

Edited by Stevo985

Of course ability and performance are major factors in the quality of a signing. But to say value, age, potential etc etc doesn't come into it is just plain wrong.

I agree. But ultimately a player is going to be judged on how they perform.

The point I'm making is i don't think you can class a signing as good by adding in an excuse to cover for mediocrity.

I'm not currently classing Bowery as a bad signing or a good signing. I think it's a slightly pointless signing. I think the Fonz shows much more potential TBH.

Edited by Big_John_10

I agree. But ultimately a player is going to be judged on how they perform.

The point I'm making is i don't think you can class a signing as good by adding in an excuse to cover for mediocrity.

I'm not currently classing Bowery as a bad signing or a good signing. I think it's a slightly pointless signing. I think the Fonz shows much more potential TBH.

I agree to an extent. If a player plays crap, then he's crap.

But, I do think if Jordan Bowery goes on to play for us for a few seasons, does a job here and there and scores, I dunno, 15-20 goals over 4 or 5 years or something like that, you could say he was a good signing.

If we'd signed him from Real Madrid for £25 million and he did that, you'd say he was a crap signing. But the fact we got him from Chesterfield for peanuts would make him a good signing, in that situation.

But I do agree that if someone's crap then they're just crap.

Edited by Stevo985

But, I do think if Jordan Bowery goes on to play for us for a few seasons, does a job here and there and scores, I dunno, 15-20 goals over 4 or 5 years or something like that, you could say he was a good signing.

Yeah I'd agree with that.

It's the same with someone like bennet. At the moment i don't think you can say he's a good signing considering where he came from or considering what wages he's on. But if he manages to fill his potential with us then he will certainly be classed as a good signing based on his performances.

If most of his signings really were all up to scratch i doubt we'd have performed so poorly in so many areas.

By this, do you mean our league position and struggling against some poor teams?

If most of his signings really were all up to scratch i doubt we'd have performed so poorly in so many areas.

By this, do you mean our league position and struggling against some poor teams?

In terms of league position, points total, defence, goal difference etc..

This is one thing I struggle to agree with, BJ10.

In my opinion, it is our general team play, formations, managerial selections, substitutions and individual errors that have caused us to be in the position we are now.

I don't agree with judging an individuals' performance by the league position/ goal difference etc.

I think Bowery has been a good signing. He has given us added workrate, strength and height when playing Stoke and also help set up the first goal.

I don't think you could ask for much more when it comes to a young player stepping up a few leagues.

I too think that Lowton, Westwood, Benteke and Guzan have been good signings.

Vlaar has been good at times and Bennett & KEA need to show more to prove they are good signings.

I don't see why you can't just judge them on their individual appearancse, and not on our league position.

If you are judging them all on our league position, then surely Guzan and Benteke have also been poor?

But you said it yourself, we're pretty much where you expected us to be

This is one thing I struggle to agree with, BJ10.

In my opinion, it is our general team play, formations, managerial selections, substitutions and individual errors that have caused us to be in the position we are now.

I don't agree with judging an individuals' performance by the league position/ goal difference etc.

I think Bowery has been a good signing. He has given us added workrate, strength and height when playing Stoke and also help set up the first goal.

I don't think you could ask for much more when it comes to a young player stepping up a few leagues.

I too think that Lowton, Westwood, Benteke and Guzan have been good signings.

Vlaar has been good at times and Bennett & KEA need to show more to prove they are good signings.

I don't see why you can't just judge them on their individual appearancse, and not on our league position.

If you are judging them all on our league position, then surely Guzan and Benteke have also been poor?

I don't think it's all down to one thing.

The quality of some of his signings are part of it.

I'm judging them as individuals and as part of the team. I don't feel Ashley Westwood has a huge impact in games at times but he's shown serious glimpses of quality this year.

Other players like Lowton, Vlaar and bennet have not performed consistently enough as individuals or as a unit.

But you said it yourself, we're pretty much where you expected us to be

Yes at the end of the summer window once I'd seen what business we did.

I like having Bowery in the squad, offers a bit of extra height and strength needed in games against teams like stoke and west ham and has been used well by Lambert. Would personally have Bowery in the squad over Delfouneso, complements the other strikers better.

I like having Bowery in the squad, offers a bit of extra height and strength needed in games against teams like stoke and west ham and has been used well by Lambert. Would personally have Bowery in the squad over Delfouneso, complements the other strikers better.

Yup. He played very well today. Hardly gave the ball away, even two-on-one, and he's quick. Some really nice work in the corner and nice passing with Zog. If he can develop goal-poaching skills he'll be a real asset. Either way, a brilliant signing for the money.

Strange one. I don't think he has enough in his locker to justify his selection out wide, where he's been playing. He almost plays the position like a hold-up striker, which he does perfectly fine. But he's not very inclined to run towards the box and create opportunities, which is what I think that role is about, and his ability to defend is suspect. 

He cost us barely anything and he's done a perfectly fine job, fair enough. Long term, I doubt his quality, certainly out wide anyway.  

certainly cant see him being a prolific striker, a squad player at most, but cant fault the kid so far, hes working hard and trying, what more can you ask from a kid thrown in the deep end?

were just waiting for the first goal to boost his confidence i reckon

I like his work ethic etc but I have to say, I've no idea what Project Bowery is all about. Got a feeling it's Lambert saying "hey look at me I can unearth unheard of league 2 players and turn them into PL players".

He offers very little in terms of creativity, he's a CF isn't it? So what's he doing on the wing ? He hasn't the pace to beat a PL FB and from what I can see he's not going to be whipping in many decent crosses.

I'd rather see natural wide players out wide.

Good luck to Bowery, I just don't get it.

If he's going to play out wide, he needs to get over his nerves and commit players. Didn't attack them at all yesterday, passed it back every time. Even having the conviction to just run down the wing will bring a few throws further forward.

Â