Joe Bennett

Si.

I certainly don't think he deserves abuse from the fans, though I think you can overstate the extent of that. It's not his fault he isn't good enough. He was brought into the squad on the false prospectus that we could create a successful premier league side with lower league players. That was never true and now seems to have been more or less ditched. But the fault doesn't lie with the players who were part of the failed experiment.

• Like 4

He'll no doubt offer far more as a wing back than a full back. Hope he gets the chance

Well let's face it he could hardly offer much less.
He has been nowhere near as bad as some make out. It is rumoured that the reason he was pulled was because of us, the abuse got to him and wrecked his confidence.

He had a couple of sinkers admittedly, Norwich towards the end of the season before last being a prime example. But after a year out of the limelight can we not, as a collective, afford him a second chance?

Was it not also possible that his poor performances damaged his confidence?

I actually think there's a decent player in there and with a bit of experience and growing up he might start to show it but he needs game time, should be loaned out to a good championship team

I certainly don't think he deserves abuse from the fans, though I think you can overstate the extent of that. It's not his fault he isn't good enough. He was brought into the squad on the false prospectus that we could create a successful premier league side with lower league players. That was never true and now seems to have been more or less ditched. But the fault doesn't lie with the players who were part of the failed experiment.

This is an excellent post. I genuinely can't see how anyone can give stick to a player who is giving 100% but is simply not good enough to compete at the level he has been asked to. I never got the impression with Joe that he wasn't giving it his all simply that at the time he wasn't good enough. That unfortunately could be said of many of our players over the last couple of years but the fault for that lies much higher up the tree than the players.

He'll no doubt offer far more as a wing back than a full back. Hope he gets the chance

Well let's face it he could hardly offer much less.
He has been nowhere near as bad as some make out. It is rumoured that the reason he was pulled was because of us, the abuse got to him and wrecked his confidence.

He had a couple of sinkers admittedly, Norwich towards the end of the season before last being a prime example. But after a year out of the limelight can we not, as a collective, afford him a second chance?

If in doubt, blame the fans.

I wasn't doing that personally, but for logical reasons you can see why the manager might want to pull him out of the firing line.

I was offering it up as a reason rather than a criticism.

Bennett's problem - and the reason I preferred Luna - is that his mistakes often seem to lead directly to goal-scoring chances for the opposition. He always seems alarmingly likely to make a kamikaze backpass or give away a penalty. Nevertheless, he does always seem to be giving 100%, and I hope he can improve in the future. Richardson will surely be first choice though. 

Anyone playing LB/RB using the "tactics" we used last season will be in trouble because neither Gabby nor Weimann offers any protection or help with defending.

They are both hardworking (when they are up for it), but lack tactical intelligence and the main abilities to work well as wide players. 

Both of them are playing out of position and always move in towards the center of the field leaving the flanks open. This combined with a powderpuff midfield that can't retain the ball makes the job for the defenders impossible.

Bennet, Luna, Bertrand or anyone we chuck in the LB position will struggle. Newboy Richardson will have his hands full and will be cought out more than a few times, mind you so would Philipp Lahm too if he played in this system with these players

Anyone playing LB/RB using the "tactics" we used last season will be in trouble because neither Gabby nor Weimann offers any protection or help with defending.

They are both hardworking (when they are up for it), but lack tactical intelligence and the main abilities to work well as wide players. 

Both of them are playing out of position and always move in towards the center of the field leaving the flanks open. This combined with a powderpuff midfield that can't retain the ball makes the job for the defenders impossible.

Exactly.  4-3-3 with full backs who can't defend is absolute defensive suicide, as has been proven time and time again over the last two years.

Bennet, Luna, Bertrand or anyone we chuck in the LB position will struggle. Newboy Richardson will have his hands full and will be cought out more than a few times, mind you so would Philipp Lahm too if he played in this system with these players

From what I've watched the design was that it's not Gabby and Weimann who were supposed to track back but KEA would help the right back and Delph - the left back. This always left Westwood all alone in the middle, which combined with a defence that sits deep always left huge chunks of space in the middle. Very flawed IMO. Could only see this work with a very high defensive line and a proper defensive mid in place of Westwood. I don't think we'll see a lot of 4-3-3 in the upcoming season.

• Like 2

Exactly.  4-3-3 with full backs who can't defend is absolute defensive suicide, as has been proven time and time again over the last two years.

I can see us going (granted, haven't watched any pre-season) 5-3-2 with wing backs and 3 central defenders.  I'd be more confident with ANY of Luna/Bennett/Richardson/Lowton/Bacuna in a wing back role rather than a full back role, too.  Lambert has experimented with this before, Vlaar has excelled in this formation at the World Cup - could be a goer?

• Like 1

I can see us going (granted, haven't watched any pre-season) 5-3-2 with wing backs and 3 central defenders.  I'd be more confident with ANY of Luna/Bennett/Richardson/Lowton/Bacuna in a wing back role rather than a full back role, too.  Lambert has experimented with this before, Vlaar has excelled in this formation at the World Cup - could be a goer?

I really dislike the formation, but if we're going to play it, it's at least better to have the personnel who fit it. Hence I think Richardson was a good purchase - think he'd do the role better than Bennett. Everyone talks about Bennett being much better going forward, but if I'm being honest, I can't recall seeing that. Maybe I just missed those games. 

I really dislike the formation, but if we're going to play it, it's at least better to have the personnel who fit it. Hence I think Richardson was a good purchase - think he'd do the role better than Bennett. Everyone talks about Bennett being much better going forward, but if I'm being honest, I can't recall seeing that. Maybe I just missed those games.

To be fair to Bennett, I can't remember many games that the team went forward.

Considering every single one of our fullbacks are better going forward than defending, a back 3 with wing-backs would be a very sensible approach.

Therefore expect 4-4-2 against Stoke.

Tends to be throughout football that full backs these days don't defend. Look at Manure paying £30m for a full back and his main strengths are his attacking?

Â