Joe Bennett

Si.

I'd agree if he was actually our player... but he's not.  If we can get Bennett both a) in good form and b ) in the team for a decent stretch, it may well do him/us the world of good.

Obviously, I'd choose Bertrand over him if you gave me a simple "pick one!" scenario, but there's no harm in playing Bennett right now for me.

I'd agree if he was actually our player... but he's not.  If we can get Bennett both a) in good form and b ) in the team for a decent stretch, it may well do him/us the world of good.

Obviously, I'd choose Bertrand over him if you gave me a simple "pick one!" scenario, but there's no harm in playing Bennett right now for me.

Bennett is more likely to "harm" Villa than Bertrand is. PL has to pick Bertrand when he's available.

Bennett is more likely to "harm" Villa than Bertrand is. PL has to pick Bertrand when he's available.

YES we know what we are going to get with Bertland we don't with Bennett

Yes that's exactly what we are saying!?? christ how did you come up with that. I'd rather fans didn't go OTT labelling people shit, not good enough and sack him.

Yes, many on here don't rate him but that doesn't stop them for giving him credit for a good display. I'm not sure why you felt the need to use this as another excuse to moan about those who don't share your view on everything.

No, Bertrand will be back in and rightly so sorry

It depends for me. If Lambert believes there is a good chance of us signing Bertand in the summer then given how well he has done since joining us I would then bring him back in against Stoke. However if the indications are that Chelsea want him and have no intention of selling him in the summer then I would rather Bennett was given the chance to continue to build on his confidence following his excellent performance yesterday. It is obviously far more beneficial to us to further develop the player most likely to be with us next season.

I agree with this...I've been told from a friend of someone at Southampton that Luke Shaw is going to Chelsea (and Lilana to Man Utd fwiw) is going to happen in the summer, so I do believe Bertrand will leave.

Heard the same.

• 3 weeks later...

Just don't think he is cut out for this level, or at least not any time soon. The way he practically runs away from players who run at him is horrible

I thought he did OK today.

Just don't think he is cut out for this level, or at least not any time soon. The way he practically runs away from players who run at him is horrible

I thought he did OK today.

Really?

Made the blatant mistake I know, but he just didn't look up for it at all. His runs forward looked half arsed and as I said, whenever a player runs at him he literally runs away from them and points at the position he thinks they'll go to. 

I don't necessarily think it is technique or ability that lets him down, but in terms of mentality I just can't seem him making it at this level.

There is something there, we saw it in the Chelsea game. I'd send him out on loan next season if we manage to land Bertrand on a permanent deal to try and get his confidence up.

If we got rid of him permanently I don't know how he'd cope.

Edited by samjp26

I haven't seen enough from him to suggest that he is worth nurturing for another season with a view to him being good enough for the squad the season after that.

If we get Bertrand I think we should just look to get whatever we can for Bennett and Luna and move them on.

Â