Joe Bennett

Si.

tbh, looking on the official site just to look at the comparison

bennett - 5ft 10, 11st 10

stevens - 6ft, 12st 4

bennett is scrawny and looks like he needs a cooked meal, im a believer in defenders shouldnt be less than 6ft tall

stevens - 6ft, 12st 4

bennett is scrawny and looks like he needs a cooked meal, im a believer in defenders shouldnt be less than 6ft tall

Height doesn't really matter too much, he just needs to beef up..

Baines is 5'7 

Lowton is 5'11

Walker is 5'10

stevens - 6ft, 12st 4

Great fullbacks are rarely over 6ft - for a reason. Fullbacks need to be highly mobile, turn quickly, run quickly, and height and weight is a hindrance to mobility.

• Like 1

He's just not up to it. We've had enough time to judge that and I really don't want to have to spend next season rowing about whether he's any good and might one day improve.

Just move him on with dignity please.

Lots of chelsea fans didn't like Drogba much in his first 18 months either.  It's the end of the season, let's see what the staff can do, what he can do and give him until at least christmas.

I've seen enough good games from him to think there's something there, just need to give him to tools to go and do it week in week out now. 

• Like 2

I think i'd give him another season, or at least until January, if we bought and experienced left back for him to learn from.

Someone to challenge him for his place but also teach him what it takes to be a left back in the Premiership. Obviously they can't play at the same time but it may benefit him in training.

Obviously Lambert and his staff give him guidance but I think there's nothing like learning from someone who has done your job well for years.

The problem is, I'm not sure who that will be.

In an inexperienced team it's the most inexperienced position at the club in my opinion.

I do see him developing in to a winger but that doesn't fit in to Lambert's style, so he'll have to adapt the physical and defensive aspects of his game if he's to stay as our full/wing back and having someone to show him the ropes could be helpful.

The way we set up for most of the season meant Bennett was up against two players, which when he was new to the league and had injuries to start with, he was almost on a hiding to nothing.  He did improve and has some decent attributes so I hope Lambert sticks with him and he can have a good pre-season, then start the season strongly.  I'd be loathe to write him off this early, he and Lambert both deserve a bit more time.

He's had about 3 really bad games, Bradford, Norwich and I can't think of another. The rest of the time he has been good. Gets way too much stick in my opinion. He's not perfect by any means but he's a good footballer, he's young, he'll get even better. We could do with another fullback, yeah, but we need to build a squad anyway. 

Edited by praisedmambo

He's just not up to it. We've had enough time to judge that and I really don't want to have to spend next season rowing about whether he's any good and might one day improve.

I agree - but I don't now think it is going to happen. 

Fully expect him to be first choice FB next season - and I am not expecting a transformation from him either.

I've done some epic statistical calculations for the season - 

with Bennett in the side, the team concedes one goal ever 43 minutes, and scores one goal every 69 minutes.

The former is 9 minutes worse than the team average, the latter is 9 minutes better than the team average.

That confirms what we already have concluded anyway: good footballer, makes us better going forward, but a complete liability in defence.

I agree - but I don't now think it is going to happen. 

Fully expect him to be first choice FB next season - and I am not expecting a transformation from him either.

Well, you would.  :ph34r:

Hes just crap. I dont blame lambert it was a gamble as was westwood and lowton and they paid off brilliantly. But bennett just isnt cracked up to the prem. Bakers prone to a mistake but bennett does something every game. Swallow ur pride PL get rid

One saving grace is that the things he's bad at (positiong, defending, etc) are "coachable"

I'm sorry but he's not a youngster coming through the youth setup. He's 23. If he hasn't got the basics down by now, he's no place in this division. He's a **** liability and should have been left to ply his trade in the lower leagues where his ineptness is expected.

The only good thing I'll say about him is he's nowhere near as shit as Lichaj.

Edited by Davkaus

He's just a massive liability and the most obvious weak link in our back four. That first goal we conceded today was just weak, weak, weak.

If he is number 1 left-back next season we'll struggle. He's a total pushover.

Â