Joe Bennett

Si.

I think sometimes you have to draw a line on players-I don't think we've reached that point with Bennett yet but on the other hand,left back is a priority position that we need to improve on from last season.

For me the ideal scenario is for Bennett to become a squad player and placing the ball firmly in his court in terms of seizing a first team opportunity when one comes his way.

Think you have to deal with him quite a lot this year. The good thing was his improvement over the last couple of games, he did have some nice moments actually. But I am not overly excited to see him either, but if he keeps up that progression then by all means let him play.

He got the Number 3 shirt, so he's obviously still in the first team plans. I have been critical of Bennett but I am hopeful he makes a good improvement this year. The pressure on these guys who come up from the lower leagues must be unreal. Some thrive on that pressure, like Lowton. Others improve steadily and slowly throughout the season, so gradually that you barely notice it, like Westwood. Some guys just need a little more time to adjust. Hoping Bennett's one of those guys.

• Like 1

Rumour has it he was bollocked by PL after one game and he really stepped up after it. Shows he can deal with it IMO.

I must be one of the only people who really likes him. Got a great cross on him and is a worker.

Rumour has it he was bollocked by PL after one game and he really stepped up after it. Shows he can deal with it IMO.

I must be one of the only people who really likes him. Got a great cross on him and is a worker.

When did he step up?

It must have been the last day of the season.

I hope he proves me wrong, but I've not seen a single performance from him that makes him look like a good left back. Left wing at a push, but not for any club higher than a relegation struggler.

He's still young though, maybe I'll eat my words over the next year.

Nah I like him as well. I think he has real quality in him. Hopefully it develops.

There are aspects of him that I like, I think he has decent feet.

.....but one thing you have to learn to do in the premier league in order to say you have cracked it is DOMINATE.

He has to learn how to dictate the play to his opposite number at the moment he is being dictated to...He can't allow that to happen otherwise we will be conceding too much.

He's great going forward, good with the ball at his feet and crosses well. He's a little weak defenisively and gets caught out of position when he rampages forward to attack, but maybe that means Delph/Sylla/some other midfielder needs to be more diligent about covering for him in those situations.

Anyone else notice that Bennett is one of the few Lambert signings from last year who hasn't been offered a new deal? (El Ahmadi and Vlaar also, maybe as "senior" players they are already on a decent whack - pure speculation.) If I were him I think I'd be a little annoyed -- he's done at least as well as Clark, and Clark got a new contract.

I don't like him, but I think he earned my respect last season with the way he stuck to it despite some awful performances and taking a lot of stick from the crowd. It can't be easy to keep coming back for more after some of those errors, so I don't think he's weak mentally.

He does look physically weak, though, and pretty ineffectual when it comes to actually defending the box. He's got a decent cross on him and gets forward, but I think he needs to get a bit bigger and a bit wiser before I'll feel comfortable with him there.

Anyone else notice that Bennett is one of the few Lambert signings from last year who hasn't been offered a new deal? (El Ahmadi and Vlaar also, maybe as "senior" players they are already on a decent whack - pure speculation.) If I were him I think I'd be a little annoyed -- he's done at least as well as Clark, and Clark got a new contract.

I think the thing here is everyone who likes him says they think he's got potential rather than he's actually a good player. I don't think he'll get a new contract until he actually becomes a good player, as presumably he's already got at least two years more on his existing contract.

Clark is pretty poor, but I think everyone else who was given a contract warranted it and tbh I think it's good that Lambert isn't just handing them out like candy.

I think it's fair to say he's in Lowtons shadow. Teams stopped attacking Lowton and targetted Bennett.

By 'he stepped up' I mean he didn't look phased when he was doubled up (Chelsea as a key example. They were world class attackers and he looked good)

He needs to get fit and play more than most this preseason I think.

I'd rather he didn't play at all. Hopefully Luna will turn out to be a decent fullback and we can relax a bit when the ball heads down our left hand side.
He's been shit, no doubt, but I like to give players a fair crack before giving up on them. Too soon to give up on him.

I think the thing here is everyone who likes him says they think he's got potential rather than he's actually a good player. I don't think he'll get a new contract until he actually becomes a good player, as presumably he's already got at least two years more on his existing contract.

Clark is pretty poor, but I think everyone else who was given a contract warranted it and tbh I think it's good that Lambert isn't just handing them out like candy.

As a Bennett supporter I agree with this. I think he will come good, I dont think he has. Therefore does not yet deserve a new deal.

I think what a lot of people tend to forget with Bennett is that he was pretty much our only LB last season with Warnock and Stevens not being in Lambert's plans so couldn't be dropped during poor form to be replaced by some one who would put him on his toes so he really works hard to get back in the team or so he doesn't get dropped again. With Luna coming in, Bennett will have competition that Lambert will be willing to use and will really need to work for his place.

Also he was injured at the start of last season so he missed the majority of, if not all of, Pre-Season, + a few games at the start of the season and was thrown in after a bad start to save us from relegation, that pressure must have been huge for the guy, added to the fact he already had a lot of pressure on him stepping up from the championship.

IMO, he'll turn out much like our last signing off of Middlesbrough, Downing, who was also injured when he joined and was continuously slated during his first season, but will massively improve in his second after getting to know the squad, league, opponents, etc. (Hopefully with out the dickish move to Liverpool at the end of the season  ;) )

• Like 1

Â