Joe Bennett

Si.

I wonder will his development follow that of Bale's? He could end up being a wide attacker. He's a really good passer and crosser of the ball.

(Before someone says it - I'm well aware that he's nowhere near as good as Bale...... I'm only talking about his best position)

Bale even when he played left back always looked like he had something special, pace, ability to beat a man. Bennett might be ok in the old 4-4-2 formation but nobody plays with wide mid fielders and I don't see him as an attacking wide man. He's just got to develop his defensive game and I think we have a decent left back on our hands.

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

Everyone used to take the piss out of Bale at left back. He went on a mad run of games before Spurs got a win with him in the side. He was basically a winger being played out of position at fullback.

Bennett could also be out of position at fullback.

Yes Bale was about 18/19 then, but you could see the talent there though! Bennett isn't quick enough or doesn't take players on. Sorry I just don't see it. A bit like Kenny Swain, an average right sided midfield player when at Chelsea. We signed him and converted him into a right back and he became possibly our best ever right back. Doesn't work the other way around too often.

Edited by PaulC

I think that Lambert may well continue with Bennett in the left wing back role, but only if he modifies our defensive tactics to cover JB. If there is any truth in the James Chester rumours then PL may well be thinking of playing with three at the back with the Hull CB as a smaller more mobile part of a Vlaar, Baker, Chester triangle. Chester is used to playing in a back three with breaking wing backs.

I think that Lambert may well continue with Bennett in the left wing back role, but only if he modifies our defensive tactics to cover JB. If there is any truth in the James Chester rumours then PL may well be thinking of playing with three at the back with the Hull CB as a smaller more mobile part of a Vlaar, Baker, Chester triangle. Chester is used to playing in a back three with breaking wing backs.

Noooooooo, not the 3 CB's again.  It was a fluke against Liverpool and i dont want to see PL do it again.  Please no

He's come on a heck of a lot recently. There wasn't really a MotM v Wigan - no one stood out, but he was as good as anyone. ALso played well v Chelsea. Easily the most improved player in the last few months. Hope he keeps it up. He was out of his depth at the start, and is now looking like he's adjusting to the Prem. Good on him.

Yes the only poor game he's had recently was the one at Norwich

He's come on a heck of a lot recently. There wasn't really a MotM v Wigan - no one stood out, but he was as good as anyone. ALso played well v Chelsea. Easily the most improved player in the last few months. Hope he keeps it up. He was out of his depth at the start, and is now looking like he's adjusting to the Prem. Good on him.

Hmm. If his performance at Wigan was an instance of his recent improvement, we have a real problem with him because the way he let Boyce brush him aside for the first goal was close to pathetic.

Hmm. If his performance at Wigan was an instance of his recent improvement, we have a real problem with him because the way he let Boyce brush him aside for the first goal was close to pathetic.

Meh, he was out-muscled by a tank. That can happen. I'd be more concerned with his overall positional play as a leftback with marauding wingers coming at him. That's where he seems to have improved recently and that's the part of his game that needs to. He can't continue to be the opposition's go-to guy when they attack us - or if he is then he needs to deal with it better. He now has a summer to get more coaching and to beef up a bit.

Didn't Kone outmuscle Lowton at VP? As BOF says it happens, many a times have I seen goals scored like the one Boyce scored, Bennett did very well at times, he made mistakes, but give him a pre-season with the lads before writing him off.

Didn't Kone outmuscle Lowton at VP? As BOF says it happens, many a times have I seen goals scored like the one Boyce scored, Bennett did very well at times, he made mistakes, but give him a pre-season with the lads before writing him off.

I take the term "outmuscled" to mean that two people pitted their strength against each other and one proved decisively stronger. Bennett wasn't "outmuscled", he was outjumped and showed very poor awareness of the position of both Boyce and the ball.  The idea that he is going to sort these fundamental weaknesses in his game in the closed season is pretty ludicrous in my view, although, having read this thread, I do now appreciate that he is destined to be the next Bale.

• Like 1

What? I'm sorry you're misconstruing someone's point entirely that he could be better shifted to a winger.

FWIW I've had a lot of harsh words to say on Bennett and I have noticed an upswing in his overall defensive ability in the past few months.

I take the term "outmuscled" to mean that two people pitted their strength against each other and one proved decisively stronger. Bennett wasn't "outmuscled", he was outjumped and showed very poor awareness of the position of both Boyce and the ball.  The idea that he is going to sort these fundamental weaknesses in his game in the closed season is pretty ludicrous in my view, although, having read this thread, I do now appreciate that he is destined to be the next Bale.

Jeez, turn up the Miserable to 11, eh? :)

But I agree Bennett should have done a MUCH better job for that goal.

• 3 weeks later...

I seem to be agreeing with the majority on Bennett, in thinking that he isn't really a left back but, an out of position left-sided midfielder. One of the reasons I disagreed with the release of Eric Lichaj, leaving us with one left back in Enda Stevens.

• 2 weeks later...
Paul Lambert admits improving left-back Joe Bennett needs pressure on his place as Villa close in on a move for Spanish defender Antonio Luna.

Lambert kept faith with Bennett during a challenging first season for the former Middlesbrough defender because of a lack of competition.

Bennett has shown signs of improvement and the Villa manager has praised the 23-year-old for refusing to hide during the “hard times”.

But Lambert admits the claret and blues need alternative options in every position if they are to keep players’ performance levels high.

Villa hope to seal a deal for Luna after it was reported in the Spanish press yesterday that a fee has been agreed with La Liga club Sevilla. 

“Joe’s getting better there is no doubt,” said Lambert. “He has been getting used to the league and the type of player he is going to be up against.

“Like anybody we will try and improve the squad everywhere. You have got to have competition and somebody breathing down your neck for your place but his performances over the last few months have been really high.

“Even in the hard times he didn’t hide, I think you can talk about people being brave but trying to take a ball in front of 40,000 people – that’s brave.

“To be fair to him he is a young lad but he has taken a lot on board the past few months.”

Villa have struggled with the left-back position in recent years, since Stephen Warnock’s impressive first season at the club in 2009-10.

Warnock’s form in subsequent campaigns slumped to such an extent that he was loaned out to Bolton before staying in the Championship by joining Leeds on a free transfer in January.

Central defenders Nathan Baker and Ciaran Clark, midfielder Fabian Delph and released right-back Eric Lichaj have also filled in at left-back with varying degrees of success.

Brum Mail

Â