Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

I think I can see the future and it is Okore and Baker.

Although for a big lad Baker goes off injured all the friggin time so he needs to sort that out if possible because based upon today's game Clark deserves to keep his place against Chelsea. This means my future partnership... still very much is 'the future'.

If Clark continues to play anything like today then he and Okore could form a very good partnership. Baker would still be ahead of him at the moment obviously but today reminded me how injury prone Baker is. Picks up knocks too often.

I'm starting to worry that Vlaar isn't actually going to cut it in the PL. Although still early days so I won't get on his back too much.

Agree with Texas Mike. Okore and Baker is the future (and Clark as well tbf). You can see Baker and Clark improving.

One thing that stands out with Vlaar is that he never picks up yellow cards. It's because usually he positions himself in the right position so he doesn't have to bring the player down.

He's underrated on here, but definitely expendable if baker/okore step up.

This point stands IMO. (couldnt be arsed to type it out again in light of another game)

Positionally rubbish yesterday, picked up a yellow and was lucky to stay on.

I think we're all being a bit hard on Concrete Ron. Ok, he was out of position for the first goal, but he did block a lot of shots and intercepted some through balls. Perhaps shouldve been sent off, but he did make good tactical fouls and helped Clark keep a second half clean sheet.

It was only the first day of the season, so hopefully he gets better.

there are some stats claiming Vlaar had a good game. But from my own eyes i thought he was ropey yet again

what on earth he was doing over the halfway line in the lead up to their goal i'll never know, and the way he just stood and let Rosisky run past him for that other effort was bizarre

he doesn't half have some dodgy moments on the pitch

I think he and Baker aren't intelligent defenders - they are quick, physical and aggressive. They need someone intelligent beside them such as maybe Okore? And possibly Clark if he can keep it together long enough.

we expect way to much from Vlaar - he is forced to play an unnatural game for him because of his age and experience.

I thought Lowton was pretty poor yesterday also, but his awesome form last season means he is less likely to get criticised.

Edited by VillanousOne

One thing that stands out with Vlaar is that he never picks up yellow cards. It's because usually he positions himself in the right position so he doesn't have to bring the player down.

He's underrated on here, but definitely expendable if baker/okore step up.

This point stands IMO. (couldnt be arsed to type it out again in light of another game)

Positionally rubbish yesterday, picked up a yellow and was lucky to stay on.

Point was about last season. Yesterday was poor.

When all CBs are fit I'm not sure Vlaar will deserve a position, but with him being captain I see that as being slightly problematic. Apart from Guzan I'm not sure who else might have the right personality to be captain.

When all CBs are fit I'm not sure Vlaar will deserve a position, but with him being captain I see that as being slightly problematic. Apart from Guzan I'm not sure who else might have the right personality to be captain.

Guzan definitely, Westwood could do it as well. Delph. We've got a few.

He wasn't slow to take the captaincy off Bent, so don't think Lambert would bother about something like that.  What about Westwood as captain, he's calm, assured and to me is the most intelligent of our midfielders.  He possibly needs to be more vocal, but I bet he's one of the first names on the team sheet.

Â