Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

I don't know why everyone's so fussed.

It seems rather obvious that he's an average to above average defender who's good on the ball. We've had a lot worse patrolling the line back there.

You really couldn't be more wrong.  Apart from the bit about Baker and Okore which is the partnership I think we'll see sooner rather than later.

What am I wrong about? That he doesn't pick up yellow cards? Well that can be easily proved. You are seemingly in the minority here (as evidenced by the last few pages), yet have the audacity to so outwardly say how wrong I am.

ha.

He's slow, poor in the air and positionally all over the shop.  He didn't have a good game at all today.

A complete nonsense.

"Didn't have a good game" but scored a goal & wasn't directly responsible for the goals we conceded. Hmm.. 

• Like 3

I have a feeling he'll be this season's Bent/Given.

Starts the season but has a poor game in one of the first three (which is very possible given the quality of opposition) and he'll make way for Baker/Okore.

Really can't see Ron hanging around too long sitting on the bench with it being world cup season. Despite his faults he does actually get a regular game for Holland so wouldn't shock me if he went back to Holland next January if the scenario occurs.

Tbh im not his biggest fan

But he could have done nothing about the goals today i don't think

One was a wicked deflection and the other was an OG from Okore?

I hope he remains first choice because he has experience and did seem to look good with Okore

I'm surprised so many were impressed with him yesterday.

He let Santa Cruz through for a one on one chance with poor positioning. He was very lucky to not give away a pen and if it was a competitive game a red card would have followed. He also went to ground far to easily before Okore's OG. Luna was beaten too easily but Vlaar did a poor job of covering the mistake.

He scored a good goal and looked better as the game went on but I didn't think it was an impressive performance.

Edited by Big_John_10

People saying he didn't have a good game yesterday either didn't watch the game or already have decided he's poor so see everything he does as a negative. One of his best performances for Villa today!

• Like 1

He is not as concrete as I hoped he would be, that's for sure. We really need a new Martin Laursen, a player that due to a combination of attributes is almost unbeatable in the air. Really hoping Okore brings some of those skills to the team.

I thought Ron looked good against Malaga, nothing more. He seemed to read things quite well against good opposition. However one season more experienced I hope he and others around him will all improve.

We have a tough start to the season though so I hope we gain confidence early with some early performances and hopefully some points.

He has his limitations but at the moment he's still our best defender. We fell apart without him last year and that says a lot about his importance to the team. I thought he was good yesterday.

He's not the best or the worst centre half I have seen grace the shirt.

We was clearly better last term when he returned from injury. He hasn't got the position sense of McGrath or the "take no prisoners"of Teale, but he did some timely recovery interceptions particularly one on Pawlowski.

Ps still think at times midfield is fault for our weak defence.....we must learn how to defend as a team, not just the back four.

Edited by TRO

Unfortunatly i dont think we will move on to the next phase of our plan if Vlaar is starting each week at CB.  I love the guy as he gives it his all but he is average.  Clarke covered him a good bit today.  Always has 1-2 mistakes in a game.

Good thing about Ron is that he is very  comfortable with the ball at his feet than say Mellberg or Laursen. I never feel he's going to get disposed when in possesion like say Clark so in one way he fits our philosophy perfectly.

But....not great in the air and Giroud didn't exactly have to do a lot to get away for the goal.

Interesting that it seems to be Okore for Vlaar as Clark came on for Baker so not sure how long Ron's going to last as a regular.

Â