Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

It's a tricky one because I can see Vlaar kicking up a fuss if he is dropped (with it being World Cup year) which may affect our morale that Lambert has worked so hard to forge.

He is going to have to step his game up big time if he doesnt want to be dropped. I dont think Lambert is the kind of guy who would be afraid to drop him either if he plays like that again.

Drop Vlaar?

Not a chance. We went to pieces without him in the side last year. When it comes to centre backs, their value to the team isn't always quite as obvious as with other areas. Take our experienced leader out of the team and the remaining youngsters could crumble.

• Like 3

You guys honestly believe our most experienced defender will be dropped?! He wasn't completely shite yesterday. He probably had a crap first half, but was decent second half - overall probably a 5 out of 10 rating for the match.

Baker went off injured after 15/20 mins,so all the prep work went out if the window, and had to readjust with Clark during the game.

Lol, we played and won against Arsenal, probably one of the most fastest and potent attacking teams in the league. They only scored one, after a Vlaar mistake, but then he didn't let his head drop. In fact, I reckon Vlaar was probably more hard on himself then what we as fans on here have been on him yesterday/today.

i wouldnt drop him for Chelsea i think that would be a nightmare decision but if 2 of the other defenders continue to play better than him then he will have to step aside. Clark is a much more experienced Prem defender and an international CB but most on here till yesterday were putting him down as 4th choice and moved out the club before too long.

I personally think if we're talking about experienced defenders we shouldn't have let Collins Dunne Warnock Hutton and Cuellar go and Clark should be first name on the sheet in defence

You guys honestly believe our most experienced defender will be dropped?! He wasn't completely shite yesterday. He probably had a crap first half, but was decent second half - overall probably a 5 out of 10 rating for the match.

In the second half they had three good chances all of which resulted from Vlaar making exactly the same mistake as the goal. Not to mention he should've been sent off. If anything his second half was worse then his first!

In the second half they had three good chances all of which resulted from Vlaar making exactly the same mistake as the goal. Not to mention he should've been sent off. If anything his second half was worse then his first!

Really?

In my view for the chances they had in the second half, Vlaar wasn't pushed up to the half way line (As the whole team was for the first goal btw), they were one-twos on the 18 yard line. Watch it again - Vlaar was given the duty to mark Giroud.

Edited by Jay.P.A

Not the halfway line but he did push up to a player on every occasion which allowed them to do a simple 1-2 to open us up. If you notice every single one of those chances were in the right side of our area. Which is Vlaar's responsibility.

Edited by Isa

^ I can see what you're saying, but after having watched the highlights again to see if you were correct, there's a couple of things I noticed

Rosicky ran though from deep in midfield for the first chance - it was Westwood who didn't track him after his 1-2. Vlaar still tried to cover him but Lowton also went for him.

For the second chance, Carzola was free which should have been Lowton's man, as he was coming from the left, Vlaar was making Giroud. Vlaar still got back to make a challenge on Carzola though (that was when Guzan made a brilliant save and tipped it onto the bar).

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x139pf7_arsenal-v-aston-villa_sport

No, you're generally correct to be fair. I hadn't actually seen the highlights yet and was just going from my memory. However I am correct about the first Rosicky chance (where he blazes over) which is a result of Vlaar being too tight on Giroud. The second Rosicky chance is just static movement from him and the Carzola chance was poor positioning and lack of awareness from him. All those three chances were on his side of defence and therefore his responsibility.

No, you're generally correct to be fair. I hadn't actually seen the highlights yet and was just going from my memory. However I am correct about the first Rosicky chance (where he blazes over) which is a result of Vlaar being too tight on Giroud. The second Rosicky chance is just static movement from him and the Carzola chance was poor positioning and lack of awareness from him. All those three chances were on his side of defence and therefore his responsibility.

Cazorla chance was Westy's fault IMO. Watched it a few times now. As much as I love him, he was ball watching and didn't track Cazorla.

• Like 1

Cazorla chance was Westy's fault IMO. Watched it a few times now. As much as I love him, he was ball watching and didn't track Cazorla.
Which is the main weakness in his game, did it a few times last yr as well Edited by mikeyp102

Yes watching it again, other players were at fault too. Westwood and Lowton could've done better. However there was no need for him to move towards Rosicky as Clark was already on him. This resulted in the entire right-side of the area being free which is ultimately his responsibility.

As for Westwood, he is very poor off the ball in my opinion. Can't tackle, can't man-mark, extremely lightweight too. Provides zero protection for the defence. I like him but eventually we'll hopefully have somebody who can match what he does on the ball but is much better off it.

Ahh so it's Ron who will be this years scapegoat, what will happen when both Bennett and him are playing who will you pick?

A scapegoat is someone who unfairly takes the blame for somebody else's poor performance.  Vlaar is rightly getting stick for not playing very well.  Other players in the team, like Agbonlahor, are rightly getting praised for playing very well.  Do you see how it works? 

I find it a great pity, the idea that any player who gives their all for our Team would ever 'rightly' get 'stick' for not 'playing well' (in our oh so clever opinions).  It is one of the things that racks me off if stuck in a seat next to people like that.  It isn't as if someone deliberately doesn't play well.

In this particular game he was up against one of the most free scoring, quick passing, sides in the Country, and we conceeded one goal.  Yes, he made some mistakes, but name a single defender who can go through a game and not make a mistake.  Their defenders ,for example, made just as many.

• Like 1

Sensitive little soul aren't you?  By 'stick' I mean the criticism he's getting on here, an internet discussion board set up to discuss players.  He didn't play well, people have commented on the fact.  It doesn't mean by any stretch of the imagination that he's a 'scapegoat'.  For what it's worth, I hope he has a stormer against Chelsea, keeps a clean sheet and heads the third in a 3-0 win!

• Like 1

Sensitive little soul aren't you?  By 'stick' I mean the criticism he's getting on here, an internet discussion board set up to discuss players.  He didn't play well, people have commented on the fact.  It doesn't mean by any stretch of the imagination that he's a 'scapegoat'.  For what it's worth, I hope he has a stormer against Chelsea, keeps a clean sheet and heads the third in a 3-0 win!

Yes as it happens I am a sensitive soul, romantic of you to notice :wub:  - and I have no problem with any of what you have said here.  Maybe you didn't mean it how it sounded - but there are certainly those that do, so my weepy ire is directed at them.

Having said that, you are clearly more of a misty eyed soul than me to hope we will get our first clean sheet in 100 years at Chelsea ! 

Â