Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Looks like he can play on the left side then. I thought he did so a few times for Feyernoord but couldn't get a definitive answer, Okore and Vlaar looks to be the combination we'll go with. No sign of Clark today either.

Yeah he looked decent.

I think Clark will be 4th choice, and I'm happy with that.

Thought he looked a bit dodgy first half. Allowed Santa Cruz to lose him for a clear chance and looked like it was a pen when he challenged him a bit later.

Became much more comfortable as the game went on.

Okore and Vlaar is certainly gonna be the starting defence.

• Like 1

Yeah looks like Lambert has Clark down has his 4th choice too. I'm cool with that, definitely happier with Baker's progression.

Think Vlaar will thrive next to Okore, who looks very composed and calm on the ball.

Yeah looks like Lambert has Clark down has his 4th choice too. I'm cool with that, definitely happier with Baker's progression.

Think Vlaar will thrive next to Okore, who looks very composed and calm on the ball.

Okore has the recovery pace we've been lacking for a while. He also spreads the ball well, which is nice.

Okore did misplace a few passes today and didn't quite put enough weight on most of his completed passes. Vlaar by contrast was excellent. They'll thrive together.

• Like 1

I was pleased to see Vlaar play both on the right and the left side of defense, and he seems comfortable on both sides. This will be a big year for Ron, he has a lot of people to convince still (as evidenced by these boards), but I think he's looking pretty solid.

If he plays left it sounds as though he will have just as much of a job covering Luna as Clark and Baker did with Bennett last year. Lowton wasn't the best defensively either last year but I expect him to improve. Still think we're dodgy at the back but hopefully Vlaar and Okore will turn out to be a reasonably solid pairing. I think it'll take a few months but if we can sort ourselves out at the back we're set for a good season.

I hope they stick some highlights up, so you can watch it again.  We're going to get murdered in the first few games with him holding the defence together.  It's a good things we're so good going forward, because we're still weak at the back.

Vlaar cost us £3m and we got what we paid for - a completely average Prem defender.

I don't think he's quite as terrible as Risso is making out, though I do think all in all he had a pretty ropey season last season that wasn't helped, in fairness, by the situation he found himself in (he's simply not a good enough defender to hold together a defence struggling as badly as that, in a team struggling that badly, on his tod), but I don't think he's that good either. He never has been. He got a lot of his Dutch caps more or less by default - the Dutch having struggled for top class defenders for a while and he was a decent option... but little more.

I'd like to see more from him this season, and I think we will, solidifying him as a solid Prem defender. He's not going to enter the Villa Centre Back Hall of Fame though.

Not a bad game from concrete Ron but I dont think he's captain material! He's seems very quiet. I sat right behind the dugout and first half the only Villa player you could hear shouting was Guzan!

Edited by leev692

One thing that stands out with Vlaar is that he never picks up yellow cards. It's because usually he positions himself in the right position so he doesn't have to bring the player down.

He's underrated on here, but definitely expendable if baker/okore step up.

This point stands IMO. (couldnt be arsed to type it out again in light of another game)

• Like 1

Â