Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

If he was going to be dropped i doubt he wouldve started the season as captain, as someone else said we are far worse without him in the side.  It reminds of the people who used to say the same about Petrov but then without him in the side all our problems began.  It just shows how important the captain is

Don't see the criticism to be honest, midfielder runs from deep and plays a 1 2 with a striker it's always the midfielders job to follow him. If a defender sees the issue and tries to stop it that's good defending even if he doesn't get there in time

If he was going to be dropped i doubt he wouldve started the season as captain, as someone else said we are far worse without him in the side.  It reminds of the people who used to say the same about Petrov but then without him in the side all our problems began.  It just shows how important the captain is

the captain band didn't save Bent, why would it save Vlaar?

not saying he will be dropped, but Lambert has proven to make choices based on performance not pedigree. 

He'll only lose his place and the captains armband if he deserves to. So it really is all in Ron's hands

Up your form and lead like a captain or the writing will be on the wall. You can't say fairer than that

It could simply be the case of him picking up an injury, out for a few weeks and Okore comes in and plays well.

Fair point on the Holland thing, he is part of their squad so I can see a scenario where he could go out on loan in January if he's on the bench and we get another CB in.

What are some people on slagging off Westy, he is better than Delph and is probably one of the first names on the teamsheet alongside Benteke, Guzan and Gabby.

Debatable. Form-wise, Delph has been our best midfielder since the turn of the year. 

What are some people on slagging off Westy, he is better than Delph and is probably one of the first names on the teamsheet alongside Benteke, Guzan and Gabby.

Im not so sure is he better than Delph.

Im not so sure is he better than Delph.

Completely different players. Delph wouldn't be great in Westy's role and vice versa but they're both as important as each other.

He's not as good as Petrov. I can see why people think he might lose his place but I can't see it happening for a while. I think he'll move over and Okore will come in beside him, perhaps not on Wednesday but in the next few weeks.

Yeah I think he's going to slide him in Westwood like, I hope he has a similar impact in the defence as Westwood had in our midfield.

Im not sure what people want sometimes, Would you rather no-one pressed the ball?

Lowton is miles up the pitch after losing posession and you can see him want to atone for the poor chipped ball that he plays by charging off up the pitch chasing the ball almost to the corner flag, Westwood goes to press the easy out ball when Wilshire is in possession, we're pressing high up the pitch after losing the ball. El-Ahmadi is covering RB - I say he gets a bit too tight to Ox-Chamberlain who burns him off for pace. As Lowton is furthest forward on the right and El-Ahmadi is covering him, shouldn't Weimann be busting a gut to cover El-Ahmadi's position? i.e exactly where Rosicky picks up the ball from Wilshire? If Westwood presses Wishire after Ramsey drifts off him maybe Wilshire is forced to play the ball in to Ramsey where Gabby and Delph should be there to cover? Vlaar sees the danger as the ball is played to Rosicky, sees that there's no-one there to press him and goes to challenge. Id much rather that than Rosicky has the time and space to turn and run at us unchallenged. El-Ahmadi gets caught 2 on 1 and decides to press the ball hence the Ox breaks free down the left. Had Baker seen all this and stepped up at this point Arsenal would have been a yard offside. Should Delph have positioned himself in the centre circle, sitting a bit deeper with everyone else pressing so high up? therefore giving him the chance to get back and cover Vlaars position. To my mind Vlaar makes the right decision and we end up getting caught on the counter attack by a good Arsenal team who expose the weaknesses caused by other peoples bad decisions or errors.

I dont expect people to agree with this but my point is really that this was hardly an isolated error being responsible for the other team scoring moment. Vlaar needs to win more headers from set pieces granted, and we could all do with a few clean sheets sometime soon. But not only do I think he's the best CB we've had for years with the ball at his feet, I love his attitude.

• Like 2

Did nothing wrong against Chelsea. Much better from him. Liverpool will be a bigger test though. Chelsea's attack were pretty static by their standards and didn't display their usual movement and interchangeability. Despite the scoreline and Stoke's late penalty, Liverpool bossed that game and Stoke couldn't cope with the movement and the incisiveness of the likes of Coutinho and Aspas (who surprised me a bit). The ability of Sturridge to get in behind will represent a challenge that we couldn't deal with when we played Liverpool at home last season. Vlaar and Baker were torn apart time and again that day and it is probably for the best that Clark went off on Wednesday as Okore's pace is needed to help Vlaar out for this game. 

Edited by Isa

Did nothing wrong against Chelsea. Much better from him. Liverpool will be a bigger test though. Chelsea's attack were pretty static by their standards and didn't display their usual movement and interchangeability. Despite the scoreline and Stoke's late penalty, Liverpool bossed that game and Stoke couldn't cope with the movement and the incisiveness of the likes of Coutinho and Aspas (who surprised me a bit). The ability of Sturridge to get in behind will represent a challenge that we couldn't deal with when we played Liverpool at home last season. Vlaar and Baker were torn apart time and again that day and it is probably for the best that Clark went off on Wednesday as Okore's pace is needed to help Vlaar out for this game. 

That was mainly due to Suarez though. The amount of times he got behind was laughable. But with Okore at the back, we have someone who is just as quick as any of the Liverpool front line. I'm more interested in how they handle our front 3. Lucas will be placed in front of Benteke, but Gabby against Johnson and Weimann movement. Our midfield 3 pressing. The only thing that could go against us is tiredness.

Â