Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

With Okore next to him, Vlaar will have more time to concentrate on his OWN game.

I expect to see a difference from him this season.

That's exactly my expectation too. For too long we've had defenders having to worry about other defenders. It does nobody any good

• Like 1

Lambert doesn't seem to want to buy old fashioned defenders that defend and nothing else. He likes his defenders to be able to pass, shoot and generally play football. That, coupled with the fact that Lambert doesn't want old players and that we don't appear to be spending big, means that Vlaar is probably the best type of defender we can have, that fits Lambert's system.

I doubt we'll be able to find a ball-playing central defender that is also a 'great' defender, that isn't 30+ or expensive. Not until he gets the scouts working overtime, anyway. (Though, maybe Okore will be that defender?)

Regarding Vlaars performance last year, I think he was okay, and at times good. It's a challenge, coming to a new country, a new league and joining a new team. When you add in the fact that it was an almost brand new team consisting mainly of unproven youngsters, that Vlaar had to captain and play 'passing football' with, it's easy to see how Vlaar had a LOT to do last season.

I like him.

The jury is still out for me with Vlaar, i expected him to be better than he was last season although alongside okore he may well look a much better player - it will be interesting to see how he does this season .

I like Vlaar but he is not great on corners and often loses his man with ease, he also makes the odd strange decision but Im happy to have him in the team as his passing out from the back is brilliant and he is the calm head we need in there with the youngsters. 

• Like 1

I like Vlaar but he is not great on corners and often loses his man with ease, he also makes the odd strange decision but Im happy to have him in the team as his passing out from the back is brilliant and he is the calm head we need in there with the youngsters. 

This. A liability from set pieces imo - some of that blame also has to land at Guzan's feet, he needs to organise better too. His talents make up for his faults to me and I think Westy should be club captain going forward, but we will need Vlaar at his best for the next few years minimum.

Call me old fashioned but I prefer centre backs to be strong,good in the air,good positionaly and strong in the tackle. Yes Vlaar can play out of the back but in all the areas I mentioned he is rather poor especially his positional sense and in the air. Infact he is atrcious in the air.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2388150/Aston-Villa-captain-Ron-Vlaars-future-club-thrown-doubt.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Can see this being a possibility later in the upcoming season but not against Arsenal. The article has a point, but saying Okore has impressed in pre-season is madness, he has played less than 90 minutes, don't think he could be selected over Vlaar at this point. Vlaar, yes I admit hasn't been the best, arguably failing to mark his man from set pieces e.g. Fellaini at Everton away, but he did have to babysit Clark for large sections of last season; has looked more commanding and strong alongside Baker in pre-season.

Would wait and see how it does against Malaga and Arsenal before making any decisions.

I like Vlaar. He seems like a real pro and you get the feeling he really wants to do well for Villa. I hope he turns a corner and has a storming season but I just get the feeling he's too slow.

I hope I'm wrong. He's our most experienced defender and it's his place to lose. I've got no doubt he will start at Arsenal and if he does I hope he plays a blinder.

do people forget how dreadful we were without him? Vlaar as other people have said have been babysitting the players around him, the midfield infront was dreadful defensively so just a slight improvement there will make him look alot better. And not to forget his abilities as a captain, he clearly has skills in motivating others, making sure they keep their heads up and keep working even if they make misstakes, thats something that shouldnt be overlooked, it has more of an impact than most people think, IMO.

i dont think his spot is in danger from either baker or okore. not for the first 3-4 months, and im not even sure they will be able to take his spot after that either.. but i suppose competition is good!

• Like 2

I like how to illustrate his 'promise', as mentioned in the caption, they use an image of him wrecklessly sliding in on Suárez to give away a penalty against Liverpool.

Shame that's it's Baker not Vlaar in the image giving away the penalty :)

I like how to illustrate his 'promise', as mentioned in the caption, they use an image of him wrecklessly sliding in on Suárez to give away a penalty against Liverpool.

Shame that's it's Baker not Vlaar in the image giving away the penalty :)

He meant Baker.  They're not talking about Vlaar's "promise" at the age of 28 are they?

Call me old fashioned but I prefer centre backs to be strong,good in the air,good positionaly and strong in the tackle. Yes Vlaar can play out of the back but in all the areas I mentioned he is rather poor especially his positional sense and in the air. Infact he is atrcious in the air.

Maybe a bit too harsh but he needs to improve his ability to deal with crosses coming into our box. It is no coincidence our record on conceding from set pieces but as many have said that part of his game might improve this season when he has a better CB beside him?

Maybe a bit too harsh but he needs to improve his ability to deal with crosses coming into our box. It is no coincidence our record on conceding from set pieces but as many have said that part of his game might improve this season when he has a better CB beside him?

We've been unmitigated rubbish at defending set pieces for ages, well before Vlaar was brought in. It has to be something in the coaching (or lack thereof).

Â