Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

He wants to go to Brazil so has to play well. Having said that, I always thought Vlaar looked a decent player. Maybe his injury problems hindered him more than we thought last season.

that and the fact that we rarely managed to get the same back line out 2 games in a row

He has been helped greatly by the additions of Bacuna and Luna, a year's PL experience and the maturing of Clarke and Baker. He's able just to play his game rather than babysit or worry - and his game is actually quite good!

Now having the same calming influence on us as Petrov use to do but obviously from a different position.

More dominant in the air as well and one of the main reasons why we're so much more solid in defence.

Just hope he can stay fit?

He wants to go to Brazil so has to play well. Having said that, I always thought Vlaar looked a decent player. Maybe his injury problems hindered him more than we thought last season.

His injury problems hindered him somewhat to be sure, but I also thought when he played last year he didn't look very confident in his teammates, particularly his fellows in the back line. This season, as they have improved, he has improved. He is freed up to play his game his own way and doesn't have to constantly look over his shoulder and babysit. Ron's looking great this year, just the guy we've needed him to be. Really pleased with him.

Definitely up there as one of the most improved players this season. Looks a lot more comfortable and has turned out to be a hell of a lot quicker than I thought. 4 clean sheets this season isn't bad at all so credit to Ron and the other lads at the back for stepping it up.

• Like 1

Â