Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

And is much, much, better on crosses this season helping us to concede less from set plays.

I found myself agreeing with you, then checked the stats for aerial duels

This season: 55% successful

Last season: 63% successful

Why are we better at set pieces?

Partial explanation may be Clark has improved +2% from 61%-63%.

However, like Vlaar, Baker has dropped: from 63%-56%.

Maybe we have just been lucky, or have a more effective system? Do we defend zonal or man-mark at corners?

Like Lambert and Gary Neville say, stats are for supporters and the media, they actually mean naff all.

They say that partly because if they meant something jobs in punditry would open up to non-footballers. Partly because they don't say everything - but people who understand stats don't claim they do.

On the other hand, Neville is a hypocrite because he uses stats all the time on MNF.

And is much, much, better on crosses this season helping us to concede less from set plays.

I found myself agreeing with you, then checked the stats for aerial duels

This season: 55% successful

Last season: 63% successful

Why are we better at set pieces?

Partial explanation may be Clark has improved +2% from 61%-63%.

However, like Vlaar, Baker has dropped: from 63%-56%.

Maybe we have just been lucky, or have a more effective system? Do we defend zonal or man-mark at corners?

Like Lambert and Gary Neville say, stats are for supporters and the media, they actually mean naff all.

They say that partly because if they meant something jobs in punditry would open up to non-footballers. Partly because they don't say everything - but people who understand stats don't claim they do.

On the other hand, Neville is a hypocrite because he uses stats all the time on MNF.

Erm...

We were poor aerially without him. Calf-injury apparently so he shouldn't be too long out but then wasn't it supposedly a calf-injury when he had that long absence last season?

Really hope he's not out for long. We fell apart for awhile back there without him.

On his way to become a great CB.

Yes Lowton looked really vunerable. I dont think we would have conceded those two goals with Vlaar on the pitch.

Really hope he's not out for long. We fell apart for awhile back there without him.

On his way to become a great CB.

Yes Lowton looked really vunerable. I dont think we would have conceded those two goals with Vlaar on the pitch.

Agree, we shouldn't play with three CB's if Vlaar is out. Formation needs to, and likely will, change for next game.

We were poor aerially without him. Calf-injury apparently so he shouldn't be too long out but then wasn't it supposedly a calf-injury when he had that long absence last season?

Pretty sure it was a calf last December. Hopefully weve nipped it in the bud - and he won't be out to long. It was just like season watching us defend after he had gone off.

Not what we need with Man. United on the horizon.

Man United?? Not really that difficult, they are a mid table team aren't they?  ;)

Hopefully Vlaar isn't out for too long, he is one of the main reasons why we have improved so much defensively this season. Hoping the defence doesn't go to shit while he is out.

It feels like our time to beat Man. United at Villa Park but I wouldn't fancy Baker and Clark over 90 minutes to hold things together against Rooney and probably a returning RVP.

Think we'll be o.k in the other games but really Ron is the glue that holds things together at the back so it's a concern if it's anything like last season.

We need to get another centre half in January. Concrete Ron has improved immensly this season and despite both Baker and Clark also improving we'll be in trouble if he is out for any length of time. We lost all shape at the back once he went off.

It feels like our time to beat Man. United at Villa Park but I wouldn't fancy Baker and Clark over 90 minutes to hold things together against Rooney and probably a returning RVP.

Think we'll be o.k in the other games but really Ron is the glue that holds things together at the back so it's a concern if it's anything like last season.

I think both Baker and Clark (especially Clark!) are much improved this season, but sticking Lowton in there at CB definitely messed us up today. If Vlaar's out for any extended period we need to go back to 4 at the back. I feel certain we would not have conceded both of those goals with Ron out there.

We need to get another centre half in January. Concrete Ron has improved immensly this season and despite both Baker and Clark also improving we'll be in trouble if he is out for any length of time. We lost all shape at the back once he went off.

There is a chance, a slight one but one nonetheless, that Okore could be back in a month or so. 

There is a chance, a slight one but one nonetheless, that Okore could be back in a month or so. 

Eh?

Says who?

Â