Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

id agree with that article myself, I think at moment he is probably the most underrated player in the squad.

the more I see that Wigan goal the more impressed I am by it

That Wigan goal was twice as sweet precisely because a CB scored it. He may have been suspect defensively last season (not entirely his fault though) but he's always been very good with his feet and that's why I've always liked him. The likes of Cuellar, Dunne or Collins would never have been able to score a goal like that.

Edited by Mantis

Played 90 mins for Netherlands against Colombia, in which most of the game Netherlands had 10 men. He kept a clean sheet. Not bad going considering he was up against Falcao.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/aston-villa-fc/2013/11/18/radamel-falcao-has-never-heard-of-villa-skipper-ron-vlaar/

He'll know who Concrete is now!

He was great in defense but also started a number of attacks in the second half, with runs forward creating an extra man in midfield for us. 

Long started marking him in that second half when we were in possession leaving Baker to make the passes up field (which were much less effective). 

He was great in defense but also started a number of attacks in the second half, with runs forward creating an extra man in midfield for us. 

Long started marking him in that second half when we were in possession leaving Baker to make the passes up field (which were much less effective). 

I still think he'd make a good DM - only problem would be we have no one nearly as good to replace him at CB. Been really impressed with Ron.

Edited by Mantis

I still think he'd make a good DM - only problem would be we have no one nearly as good to replace him at CB. Been really impressed with Ron.

I like the idea of having a ball playing centre back myself. It is very effective to be able to create that overload in midfield. We should ultimately get a better midfielder rather than take that player from CB. 

Would prefer Clark along side him as he is also comfortable on the ball at the back. Baker has not been as impressive as these two recently. 

Â