Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Previously i had slated Vlaar for not being strong enough in the air with crosses coming into our box and put forward that being one of the reasons why we kept conceding from set plays (what happened to that)?

However against Spurs he dealt with the majority of crosses coming into our box comfortably and took responsibility for them which i liked.

He has improved that aspect of his game and its a pity Okore picked up his injury because both centrebacks would now compensate for each other's weakness and we may not have conceded the second goal on Sunday. 

When Clark is fit I don't miss Okore at all.

he has only played 3 games. Its hard not to think we could be better with Okore

I'm not down on Okore, I like him a lot.

But I also like Clark now, and don't know which one would be better if Okore was fit. Which is a good thing, especially looking back at last year when none of our CB's were good.

Also Vlaar is improved since last year, perhaps a result of better partners.

Edited by AVTuco

Previously i had slated Vlaar for not being strong enough in the air with crosses coming into our box and put forward that being one of the reasons why we kept conceding from set plays (what happened to that)?

However against Spurs he dealt with the majority of crosses coming into our box comfortably and took responsibility for them which i liked.

He has improved that aspect of his game and its a pity Okore picked up his injury because both centrebacks would now compensate for each other's weakness and we may not have conceded the second goal on Sunday. 

There are definitely facets of his game where he is improving on last season, which is good to see. I think the biggest issue with Vlaar now is that at times his movement in defense is a bit static and he gets caught ballwatching. I think with a bit more awareness, he might have been able to better deal with Soldado for Spurs second goal. 

Â