Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Isn't Clark 25 now? I'm really not sure he will improve much more. A decent squad player but not a first team premier league CB IMO. Vlaar and Senderos should both leave in the summer, with a quality CB brought in to play alongside Okore.

Isn't Clark 25 now? I'm really not sure he will improve much more. A decent squad player but not a first team premier league CB IMO. Vlaar and Senderos should both leave in the summer, with a quality CB brought in to play alongside Okore.

Isn't Clark our 1st choice CB?

• Like 3

Maybe. But he shouldn't be.

Clark will improve more with experience, he's been our best defender this season so that's good for the future...

• Like 1

If Clark hadn't gotten injured, I'd have him as my player of the season for us. He went from mediocre back up to solid first team player. He has been vocal, his awareness increased, and as pointed out, he isn't scared to go in for a tackle. If Clark returns with the same form, we should be looking to get him a partner that suits his playing style if we lose Vlaar. 

I'd still resign Vlaar. Vlaar-Baker and Vlaar-Senderos were very solid when they played together. Having Okore, Clark, Vlaar, Baker, and Senderos as options is very good in my opinion. Sherwood just needs to pair the right ones together. 

• Like 1

Maybe. But he shouldn't be.

25 is still quite young for a cb. John Terry is 34 and probably had his best season yet. I think Clark is very good already. 

• Like 1

Vlaar wouldn't stay as back up.

Clark-Okore was looking good for most of the games as they just sort of click and their styles complemented each other. Baker and Senderos are fine as back up.

The problem of course is two of them are extremely injury prone and Clark and Okore have also picked up long term injuries so we need another CB.

I'd prefer an aerailly dominant one as we have conceded a fair few goals from corner kicks and crosses since Sherwood came in.

Clark has been excellent, probably POTS, and way better than Okore.

CBs don't hit their peak until late 20's - early 30's.

For instance, average age of the CB pairings for the top 4 is 28ish, and that's brought down a lot by Utd as Jones is 23 and Smalling 25. Clark has been fantastic all season and has plenty of time to improve.

As for Vlaar, he's been poor mostly all season, would be happy to see him leave and have Clark be his replacement, just need a decent back up that can challenge the starting spot.

So he gets injured and has been out a few weeks and you forget that he's been our best defender by far all season, and easy one of our most consistent players too?

Clark has definitely been our player of the season overall, probably the most improved player along with Hutton, well Hutton in the 1st half of the season.

Okore just needs more playing experience, he's still young and this is his first full season following a horrendous injury and I think he will get better, he reminds me of Ehiogu - who always looked a bit cumbersome, slow and off balance but had a knack of positionally just being where it counted and he was quicker than he looked.

Baker has been good as well, but he just needs to tone down the heroics and respect his body more as he gets too many injuries.

Vlaar and Okore has never looked a good combination.

• Like 2

I'd let him go. He would have gone in January had he not got injured.

He only vaguely hinted at staying when we got better under Sherwood. He must be one of our higher paid players and to be honest we have four decent centre backs anyway. Added to that his injury record is pretty poor and in all likelihood it will only get worse.

Tim Sherwood says Ron Vlaar is ready to sign new Aston Villa contract

Holland defender has been linked with Manchester United

‘I’ve sat down with Ron and he says he wants to stay’

Sinclair set to join Aston Villa in £2.5m deal from Manchester City

Tim-Sherwood-Ron-Vlaar-003.jpg
Tim Sherwood, left, says he has made it clear to Ron Vlaar that he does not want him to walk away from Aston Villa when his current contract runs out this summer. Photograph: James Marsh/BPI/Rex Shutterstock

Stuart James

Friday 22 May 2015 22.30 BST Last modified on Friday 22 May 2015 22.32 BST

Tim Sherwood believes Ron Vlaar will give Aston Villa a major boost by signing a new deal. Vlaar is out of contract this summer and the expectation was that he would leave Villa on a free transfer but Sherwood recently held talks with the Holland international and, on the back of those discussions, said he was confident the defender would commit his future to the club.

“I’ve actually sat down with Ron and I’ve told him I want him to stay, and he says he wants to stay,” Sherwood, the Villa manager, said. “He’s indicated to me that he’s happy here at the football club and that he would like the club to talk to his representatives about him staying. I’m thinking the same way so I’m sure something will get done. Both parties are willing so I can see him being here next season.”

Outstanding in the World Cup last year, when he helped Louis van Gaal’s Holland side reach the semi-final, Vlaar has been linked with Manchester United at various points in the season as well as with a number of overseas clubs. Villa were resigned to losing Vlaar at one stage but Sherwood’s arrival as manager, allied to an improvement in results in the final three months of the season, appears to have prompted the 30-year-old, who was signed from Feyenoord in 2012, to give serious thought to staying.

“Obviously Ron is going to have a lot of options, he’s a free transfer, he’s still a full international, he came back from the World Cup last year and he’ll go to the European Championship next summer,” Sherwood said. “He’s just been called up for the national team again, so he’s a man who’s in demand. It’s credit to the football club that he feels this is the best option for him.”

Although Villa look much more secure defensively with Vlaar in the team, the centre-half has suffered badly with injuries this season and missed more than half of the club’s Premier League matches. Sherwood admitted that was something that would need to be addressed in the long term.

“I want to keep him fit as long as I can, so we’ll have to have a look at that process as well because I think the best results come when Ron’s playing,” he said. “He’s a good character to have around, he’s a good teacher to the younger players, a very calming experience, knows the game and he’s got that level of experience.”

Here

Edited by momo

Tim Sherwood says Ron Vlaar is ready to sign new Aston Villa contract

• Holland defender has been linked with Manchester United

• ‘I’ve sat down with Ron and he says he wants to stay’

Sinclair set to join Aston Villa in £2.5m deal from Manchester City

Tim-Sherwood-Ron-Vlaar-003.jpg
Tim Sherwood, left, says he has made it clear to Ron Vlaar that he does not want him to walk away from Aston Villa when his current contract runs out this summer. Photograph: James Marsh/BPI/Rex Shutterstock

Stuart James

Friday 22 May 2015 22.30 BST Last modified on Friday 22 May 2015 22.32 BST

Tim Sherwood believes Ron Vlaar will give Aston Villa a major boost by signing a new deal. Vlaar is out of contract this summer and the expectation was that he would leave Villa on a free transfer but Sherwood recently held talks with the Holland international and, on the back of those discussions, said he was confident the defender would commit his future to the club.

“I’ve actually sat down with Ron and I’ve told him I want him to stay, and he says he wants to stay,” Sherwood, the Villa manager, said. “He’s indicated to me that he’s happy here at the football club and that he would like the club to talk to his representatives about him staying. I’m thinking the same way so I’m sure something will get done. Both parties are willing so I can see him being here next season.”

Outstanding in the World Cup last year, when he helped Louis van Gaal’s Holland side reach the semi-final, Vlaar has been linked with Manchester United at various points in the season as well as with a number of overseas clubs. Villa were resigned to losing Vlaar at one stage but Sherwood’s arrival as manager, allied to an improvement in results in the final three months of the season, appears to have prompted the 30-year-old, who was signed from Feyenoord in 2012, to give serious thought to staying.

“Obviously Ron is going to have a lot of options, he’s a free transfer, he’s still a full international, he came back from the World Cup last year and he’ll go to the European Championship next summer,” Sherwood said. “He’s just been called up for the national team again, so he’s a man who’s in demand. It’s credit to the football club that he feels this is the best option for him.”

Although Villa look much more secure defensively with Vlaar in the team, the centre-half has suffered badly with injuries this season and missed more than half of the club’s Premier League matches. Sherwood admitted that was something that would need to be addressed in the long term.

“I want to keep him fit as long as I can, so we’ll have to have a look at that process as well because I think the best results come when Ron’s playing,” he said. “He’s a good character to have around, he’s a good teacher to the younger players, a very calming experience, knows the game and he’s got that level of experience.”

Here

Not a good move at all!! Specially when can get someone like Fabian Schar who's like 6 years younger on bosman free with the money that Ron will want and Schar is much better

Â