Ron Vlaar

irreverentad

Disgraceful, has had a shit season, he has cost us several goals and is always a liability, should never play for us again. I remember some putting him in the Mellberg, Laursen, McGrath category, well, he's not even as good as Richard Dunne and Collins were for us, **** useless.

This totally, but he has not had a shit season. He has just been mostly shit for us ever since he came, with only patches of playing well.

He does not strike me as a truly good defender at all. Never had, never will. At best an average defender that had some good form during the world cup.

He's cost us too many times this season. Guzan was dropped after making one big mistake, Vlaar has made several. He's only getting into the team because of injuries to Clark and Baker. I would suspect that Sherwood will be looking at a pairing of Okore and Senderos in training.

Thanks for setting the tone of the game today. 2 screw ups in 2 minutes leading to 2 goals. You really can't do better than that.

Maybe Vlaar didn't exactly set the tone of the game - Tim Sherwood did with the disastrous setup of the defence - but he cemented it well and true with his pathetic individual mistakes.

Lucky Okore was on the pitch to make sure he wasn't the worst player.

Praying we don't give him a new contract.

Difference being that Okore is 22 and playing in what is essentially his first season in this league, given the length of his injury last year. Ron is supposed to be the leader, the wise experienced pro. It was a completely gutless performance.

• Like 1

Clark brings the best out of Okore, I don't think Vlaar does.  

I wouldn't limit it to Okore. I don't think Vlaar brings out the best in any other defender.

Agreed, just to illustrate:

Earlier in the season when Vlaar was playing he looked decent beside Senderos. 

But the Senderos-Baker partnership when played has looked equal to if not better than the Senderos-Vlaar partnership. 

When he came back from injury, Vlaar looked decent beside Clark. 

But the Clark-Okore partnership looked equal to if not better than the Vlaar-Clark partnership. 

Then Clark got injured and Vlaar played with Baker (who lasted like 1 game before getting injured) before getting paired with Okore. 

And the Vlaar-Okore partnership has looked shaky for a while now - think Lukaku's run for the penalty and today - with Vlaar looking particularly error prone. This was the similar to their partnership under MON when lower division teams in our friendlies got the better of them two. 

Vlaar can go or stay as our reserve. Even if he regains his form and cuts out his errors, he is still too injury-prone to be anywhere near the first-team.  He is our 5th choice centre-back to me. I think we have two great CB pairings at the moment to split between competitions next season. 

Senderos-Baker

Clark-Okore 

Â